Recurrent miscarriages what tests should I ask the doctor for.

(19 Posts)
Perpetualstateofchaos Mon 04-Jul-16 07:50:57

I've just miscarried on my 6th pregnancy. I have 2 children but now have had 3 miscarriages this year. I was at the EPU last week who recommended I go to the doctors when I miscarried. The embryo had implanted very low.
I have an appointment for an ultrasound at the weekend to check my ovaries etc as I have endometriosis and have had a previous ovarian cysts. I still want to go back to the doctors and arrange for these tests to be done. Any ideas of what I should be asking for?

MewlingQuim Mon 04-Jul-16 07:54:23

Don't get the GP to do tests, get the GP to refer you to a recurrent miscarriage clinic. They will do all the tests.

Perpetualstateofchaos Mon 04-Jul-16 08:08:43

Thank you Melling. I'll look into that. Will try get an appointment but will be weeks with my surgery.

kirinm Mon 04-Jul-16 09:21:12

I got an almost immediate referral to the recurrent miscarriage clinic. For me, it was unexplained but I haven't been brave enough to try since my last mmc. (I found at at 11 weeks the heartbeat had stopped at week 10). They're pretty thorough and said they'd put me on a programme of meds (I think it's just progesterone and perhaps some steroids) as soon as I get pregnant. Good luck.

Perpetualstateofchaos Mon 04-Jul-16 09:40:14

It's good to know that they are helpful and looking for ways. I really want another child but I'm terrified of miscarrying again. Mine have all been very early around 4-5 weeks.

Perpetualstateofchaos Mon 04-Jul-16 10:49:39

Just had a thought. The latest 3 miscarriages are since the birth of ds2. I'm rests negative and told I didn't need this will my GPS have a record of this on my medical history? I'm wondering if I should have had anti dbut wasn't given it. I had to chase of info and midwives were rather blasé about it.

Perpetualstateofchaos Tue 05-Jul-16 10:35:22

Good has referred me to the recurrent miscarriage clinic apparently it could be 2-3 months until I'm seen. I've got a scan booked at the weekend as I've had pains for the past few weeks to check my ovaries etc. It should hopefully show that I've also had a complete mc.

kirinm Tue 05-Jul-16 21:37:16

8 - 12 weeks is pretty quick although I know it feels slow. Don't expect a huge amount from your first appointment. You'll probably have blood tests and an ultrasound

Perpetualstateofchaos Wed 06-Jul-16 07:30:42

I'm not expecting a lot I know it's just a start. Tbh it feels good knowing they will refer me not fob me off as I've already got 2 children. I'm hoping the ultrasound I have at the weekend shows something.the epu sonographer said I had cysts then another said I didn't they were follicles. So be nice to know which it is as. Unfortunately all my problems are with my left side.

miamiaMo Mon 11-Jul-16 11:31:11

In case of low implantation, I recommend you consider preimplantation diagnosis PGS NGS 360. Good luck with yr ttc xx

Perpetualstateofchaos Mon 11-Jul-16 17:32:51

Thanks mia mia. I only know that this most recent 1 was low implantation as I had an early scan due to persistent pain. I don't know about my other 3 mcs. Will find out Friday if anything could be seen on my ultrasound however I think the pain is from scar tissue.
Thank you

MightyLightningMouse Mon 11-Jul-16 19:23:35

So sorry for your losses. Really Hope you get the answers you need. I've had 2 MCs and they won't investigate until I've had a third sad

Perpetualstateofchaos Mon 11-Jul-16 19:29:53

Mighty it's horrible to go through. As awful as it sounds I'm glad I had my 1st mc as I wouldno have my ds2 otherwise. The 3 I've had this year have really taken it out of my the 3rd was only 2 weeks ago. Ph symptoms stopped then come back a week later. My gp said they see it as 2 is unlucky 3 and there is cause to investigate.

NEmum Mon 11-Jul-16 19:31:09

Sorry to hear about your losses...

Ask for basic blood tests from your GP now, they should do a full blood count & also check for any clotting issues ( most notably Hughes syndrome). If you get a positive/borderline test for Hughes then this needs to be checked again after12 weeks so eat to bstart the process now.

If you are a RH neg type you should've had anti D after each birth, if not this definitely needs to be explored.

Ive had 2 miscarriages in the last 9 months, although currently 18 weeks pregnant (fingers crossed). My GP did the blood tests for me, I had a borderline result for Hughes & so have been taking baby aspirin throughout this pregnancy. I'm awaiting my second test results.

In my experience Hughes is not widely considered by GP's / midwives but research shows it could account for 15% of recurrent miscarriages...
Good luck X

AngelsWithFilthySouls Mon 11-Jul-16 19:39:54

Sorry about your losses.

Make sure whoever does the tests knows what they're doing. We went private and the Dr. did the bloods too soon after my mmc so the results were crap. He referred us to Nhs and had the tests done again which showed no issues (DH also had blood taken to rule out chromosomal abnormalities).

We then went to Prof Quenby at Coventry and paid £300 for natural killer cell testing (uNK cells). That test was also clear but she still provided a treatment plan of progesterone and clexane and DS thankfully arrived after that! He was prem, I had preeclampsia, placenta failed/lack of growth undetected so they think I need clexane the whole time in future but we'll never know as definitely done now we have him. Rode our luck enough!

Sorry that's so long but hopefully something in there might be useful.

Perpetualstateofchaos Mon 11-Jul-16 21:03:29

Gp wouldn't do any tests as my thyroid was tested a little while ago and was fine. Simply just got the referall. Mc was only a couple of weeks ago so by waiting for the referall means I've got chance for everything to go back to normal. Thank you for all the advice.

MewlingQuim Mon 11-Jul-16 21:18:44

Glad to hear you got the referral. I hope you get some useful results from that.

I was diagnosed with Hughes and I am now on aspirin and high dose folic acid. I also have a cupboard full of prednisolone, progesterone and heparin waiting in the event of a BFP.

Now just need the BFP but in my 40s now so chances not good sad hmm

Perpetualstateofchaos Mon 11-Jul-16 21:58:24

Fingers crossed for you Mewling. I want to ttc again but want to wait for my scan results just incase I have scar tissue from previous ops. Sonographer at epu kept asking about a c section even though I said no the first second and third time they asked. so i don't know if they could see scar tissue from my laps.

Perpetualstateofchaos Wed 13-Jul-16 12:42:43

Got my appointment through today it's not until September so I'm just going to try relax for a while. Got a bungee jumper to do and going to do a 12k obstacle race over the summer so will keep myself busy in the mean time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now