MicroSort gender selection - anyone used it?

(8 Posts)
lulublue79 Thu 12-May-16 16:58:17

Please don't flame me for this!!

I have three beautiful boys aged 6, 4 and 2. I adore them and didn't have each one to have a girl (actually drives me mad that people assume that - each time - I was trying for a girl).

I love my big family. My mother died and I have no siblings and no cousins. So having lots of children was always a dream of mine. I might be done with my three, but I am consider having just one more baby, one last one.

But, to suddenly become a cliche, I would like a daughter. I can't really explain why.

Anyway, if I can't have another one, it's ok. We're happy and are very lucky to have our three boys.

But... has anyone gone abroad and used MicroSort or similar to gender select? (microsort.com)

Can I just have people who've used it, rather than people who disapprove of it or me for even considering it? I know all the worries of gender-selection and designer babies... I really just want to know if it's a legitimate "thing" and something that I could see myself doing.

Lovepancakes Thu 12-May-16 17:30:16

Bump
(I never knew it was allowed anywhere and hope someone else can help)

314PrettySweetMamaJammer Thu 12-May-16 17:31:18

The Beckhams apparently.

314PrettySweetMamaJammer Thu 12-May-16 17:32:45

oh sorry, never used it.

But for the record, I don't disapprove!

GOOD LUCK!

brew

onemoremummy Thu 12-May-16 17:34:13

It's illegal in most countries.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 12-May-16 17:35:18

I haven't, but I know of someone who has. She was told to save around £13,000, but in the end it only cost her about £4,000. There's an 88% success rate with girls.

It's worth doing some wider reading about what happens, and thinking about what you'll do if you're not in the 88% - would you want to try again? Would you keep the male baby? I believe there is a lot of counselling at that stage, but you need a good idea of what your plan would be.

The cost is quite prohibitive so I'm not sure there are a lot of people who will have done it. The lady at work has two friends who have, I think they all met at a clinic and have stayed in touch, and they visited our London office once. One had spent £22,000 on getting a girl, the other around £9k I think? My friend seems to think she did amazingly only spending £4k.

I can ask her questions if you've got any, I can't promise she'll answer but she's been quite open about it so far.

lulublue79 Thu 12-May-16 19:12:48

Thank you 314! smile

Yes please,*Anchor*, this is very helpful! Crikey... £22k! We definitely don't have that to spend, £4k we could with a few extra shifts here and there. I know we wouldn't try again if we got another boy, and we wouldn't love him a drop less. I just have this total urge to have a daughter. It's silly, I know! It's something about the adult relationship, really, not the little girl one. My friends all call their mums for advice, their mums were there to help pick out their wedding dresses, were their when their babies were born... because I never had a mum, I sort of want that. I don't want to live through my daughter, I just want that lovely mum-daughter adult friendship. Of course, we could end up not being close! I know!

Would you be able to ask your friend where she went? I saw Switzerland and Spain as two European options. And were the clinics clean, decent, professional environments? Not a sort of weird back-street place?

lulublue79 Fri 13-May-16 12:15:40

Another one to ask your friend, Anchor, but don't worry if she doesn't want to share or you don't get a chance to ... (opinions also welcome on this one, please!)

Did she tell her other children that she was gender selecting the girl she had? And will she tell her girl when she grows up?

I am thinking (if we do it - this is just an idea, rather than a formed plan) that maybe I would keep it a secret from my sons and my family, in case it hurt their feelings. Every one of my boys was desperately wanted, I wouldn't want them to think I hoped they would be girls... but - on the flip-side - I'm not ashamed that I am contemplating this, and I don't like secrets... Thoughts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now