When did you start taking folic acid?

(19 Posts)
Heatherbell1978 Tue 03-May-16 08:16:34

DH and I have just decided after months of deliberation to start TTC #2. Preparation for DS1 involved months of folic acid taking, tracking cycles, eating healthy, yoga....and I've done nothing like that this time around. Took my last pill at the weekend and just going to crack on. Buying folic acid today but bit worried about my preparation this time around....I'm 38.

evilgiraffe Tue 03-May-16 08:21:43

Took folic acid for over three years pre DD1 - TTC was a long haul for her!

DD2 was a natural surprise conception, so I took folic acid from about five weeks. However, if we had been actively trying I would have been taking it before being pregnant (recommendation is to take it for at least three months before conception).

jellybelly85 Tue 03-May-16 08:25:57

A couple of months pre-TTC to ensure levels were adequate pre conception. If TTC then start as soon as possible, good luck!

29redshoes Tue 03-May-16 08:50:41

I can't remember exactly but quite a few months beforehand. There's a history of NTDs in my family so I was very aware of the importance of folic acid. As evil said the recommendation is three months (although my GP said you may as well just take it continuously if there's any chance you might get pregnant, even when not TTC).

By all means skip the charting, yoga etc this time around but don't skip the folic acid!

Junosmum Tue 03-May-16 11:21:15

Couple of months before starting ttc.

maplebaby Tue 03-May-16 15:53:32

I started a few months before TTC but I'm sure starting now is fine smile good luck!

Spam88 Wed 04-May-16 20:39:53

The NHS advice is to take it when you're trying to conceive, so I don't think you need to worry about not having taken it before smile

CharlieBear20 Wed 04-May-16 21:11:03

I started taking folic acid the week before my implant was removed. Have now been taking it for roughly 3 months as I'm still TTC

everdene Wed 04-May-16 22:31:29

Yes, my doctor told me folic acid is water-soluble so your body just excretes what it does not use.

chelle792 Wed 04-May-16 22:43:36

I feel a little negligent reading all of the other posts. I started the day I got my bfp. Only 4.5 weeks pregnant so early days! Hopefully I haven't wrecked my baby already!!

maplebaby Thu 05-May-16 08:13:35

Don't feel that way chelle! Think of all the people who weren't trying and got their bfp and went on to have healthy babies! Same can be said for those who drank loads before they realised they were pregnant - my sister was on a boozy trip abroad when she found out and my nephew is a very clever healthy little boy!

What matters is that you are taking them now smile

chelle792 Thu 05-May-16 08:20:44

That's true, thankyou. Although we were trying, I wasn't exactly planning on getting pregnant so quickly - first month trying. We were nervous about pregnancy because i had a mmc last year so although we were ttc we weren't exactly ready for a pregnancy!

maplebaby Thu 05-May-16 10:44:08

Chelle so sorry to hear about your mmc flowers I'm on cycle 15 (never had a bfp so unexplained infertility) and just seen the consultant who has told me I'll be having IUI next so I've been taking folic acid for 17 months already!! confused

Wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months smile positive sticky bean vibes your way!

chelle792 Thu 05-May-16 14:00:07

Thankyou so much maple. Still feeling pretty terrified at the minute!

stubbornstains Thu 05-May-16 14:04:03

I'm afraid that, although I was TTC, I didn't start taking folic acid until my BFP- out of wanting not to jinx things, or something equally irrational. However, it was September, and I am very fond of blackberries, so it was reassuring to find out that blackberries are a very good natural source of folic acid!

eurochick Thu 05-May-16 14:05:53

For three years pre bfp. Like giraffe, it took a loooooong time for us.

justtheonethen Fri 06-May-16 19:07:41

So far for about 2 years! Started it, optimistically it turns out, 3 months before ttc!

bebo100 Fri 06-May-16 20:09:35

First time not until I knew I was pregnant, then every day. Second time from about 2 months before, but only every 3 days or so as kept forgetting. Bad mummy.
It has more impact in the early days, that's why they recommend taking it before you conceive so you build up levels ready. But any time in the first trimester is beneficial. At least that's what doctor told me.

Willberry Sat 07-May-16 18:37:25

Started taking it in Feb ready to start TTC this month, one of my friends has ntd history in her family and consultant advised her to start much further in advance on very high dose, but thats for a high risk pregnancy.

As maplebaby said so long as you are taking it now thats the main thingm think of all those healthy surprise babys out there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now