TTC after Mirena removal

(7 Posts)
Kitty1977 Sat 30-Apr-16 08:06:48

Hi! I am TTC after Mirena removal and would like to hear of other peoples experiences...
How soon did you conceive, symptoms etc.. Thanks smile

LikeaSnowflake Sat 30-Apr-16 10:40:07

My experience ttc after Mirena removal was very positive.

I had my Mirena removed at the end of October 2014. I had a couple of days slight withdrawal bleed but then my period did not return until 7 weeks after removal. During this time I had lots of symptoms that felt like pregnancy symptoms such as nausea, cramps etc but it was just my body readjusting after the removal I think. I did however do quite a few cheap pregnancy tests to make sure grin

Everyone's experience can be different and I have heard some people say they get pregnant before they even had a period and others for who it takes months for their periods to return. So just be aware that it varies quote a bit I think.

After my first period I had one full cycle and then got my bfp on the following cycle smile I now have a little girl who is 6 months old. When I fell pregnant I had no symptoms really and wouldn't have known for quite a while without a positive test! So that's my experience, good luck with ttc and enjoy!

Mommabear77 Sat 30-Apr-16 11:51:29

Thanks Likeasnowflake I had mine removed 2 weeks ago yesterday. I had a day of light bleeding a couple of days after removal, which I don't think i could class as AF, it wasn't anything to write home about. Since then I had pinching pains deep inside uterus about 5 days later, which were really sharp, plus nausea on and off, swollen bbs and bad skin. I have done 2 tests and both BFN, probably too soon to test though anyway i expect. Not sure if my symptoms are just hormones settling again or maybe get a BFP in another couple of weeks! It is frustrating as i am not the most patient of people! Lol

Lucy1308 Sat 30-Apr-16 20:52:10

I've also just had my coil out to TTC our #1. I found I started to bleed on the Sunday after it coming out (so 2 days later) and it continued for 5/6 days so I have classes this as my AF as previously on the coil I've not had any. I've since been doing OPKs and think I've seen my peak today/tonight so bang on schedule. I think the good thing about the Mirena is that the vast majority of women don't stop ovulating on it, so it should just be a case of giving yourself a cycle or so to build your lining up properly and allow your cervical mucus to go back to normal!

Good luck TTC!! Fingers crossed for many ex Mirena BFPs soon!!!

Writerwannabe83 Sat 30-Apr-16 21:18:46

With DS I had my Mirena out, had a period a few days later and then conceived two weeks later.

When TTC DC2 I had my Mirena removed, had a period and then conceived again on my first cycle. Unfortunately though I miscarried three weeks after my BFP.

I had previously been told that miscarriages can be common in women who fall pregnant in their first cycle after removal and so I had been advised to have at least two periods before starting TTC.

The only difference between my two experiences was that with my first pregnancy I still had regular periods for the entire duration I had the Mirena in, whereas when I had the Mirena the second time around my bleeding was all over the place for 8 months. When I had the Coil removed for the purpose of TTC2 I hadn't actually had any bleeding at all for about 4 months and my GP did say that my lack of periods prior to removal may have been a factor in the miscarriage.

I guess I will never know for sure though.

Mommabear77 Sun 01-May-16 00:28:28

Thanku to everyone who replied. I feel like I am in a minefield atm as i am not sure if the symptoms i am experiencing are just hormonal or pregnancy. I have decided to give it another 7 days and if no AF, then do a further HPT. I am 39, so guessing conception may take a little while longer than the last time! X

Mommabear77 Sun 01-May-16 09:15:22

AF arrived this morning!! I feel relieved in a way, at least I have a proper starting point now and if I do conceive this cycle then dates will be more accurate.
Sorry to hear you had a MC writer there seems to be a few ladies who found they had one after mirena. All the best x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now