Triathlon training whilst ttc, is this a bonkers idea?

(9 Posts)
MimiDiddy Wed 27-Apr-16 10:54:15

We've been ttc#1 for over 2 years, and there's been a few false starts along the way (3 MCS). I've had all the tests and been offered infertility treatment but I feel as my problem is with staying pregnant rather than getting pregnant I'd rather get upduffed the old fashioned way (far more fun grin).

Anyway my mate is trying to get me to do a sprint triathon in summer and I'm wondering if anyone else has done this or something similar whilst waiting for a BFP to happen? I'm quite keen as getting preg 3 times in 2 years isn't great for the figure and I'm rubbish at doing regular exercise if I'm not working toward something.

CatMum87 Wed 27-Apr-16 11:12:00

Hi! I'm not sure that I can offer anything helpful really, but just wanted to say that I am ttc#1 and will be taking part in some triathlons this summer! Got into them the last few years and really enjoy the challenge of trying to tackle all disciplines, it certainly gives you something else to focus on.

Sorry to hear about the MC's that must have been tough. I have a totally different story in that I came off the pill in December and have yet to have had my first period!

I think exercise and ttc is a hot topic, and as long as you aren't overdoing it they can go happily hand in hand?!

Need any tips, let me know!

SinkyMalinks Wed 27-Apr-16 13:16:13

I was ttc for 4 years. Did my last triathlon feeling a bit rubbish. Turns out I was about 3 weeks pregnant, so don't think I did any harm in my case!

Usual advice is no more than your usual in pregnancy, with less core specific stuff. Stands to reason same would be fine when ttc, even if being very cautious.

Good luck!

MimiDiddy Wed 27-Apr-16 13:56:18

Thanks for the replies and useful advice Cats and Sinky.

I regularly swim, cycle and run at the moment and can just about cover the distances separately (it's a sprint triathon). So I don't think I'll need to train too hard, and it's more about setting myself a little challenge and staying active than PBs and rankings for me. I'll just be pleased to finish in one piece grin.

Looks like I'm training for a triathlon then.

cats fx that you get your BFP soon x

MimiDiddy Wed 27-Apr-16 13:57:59

Oops, I meant AF cats, but hopefully the bfp isn't far away either

Wanderlust1 Wed 27-Apr-16 17:45:49

Mimi - the fitter and healthier you are the better your chances and you'd kick yourself if you didn't do it and didn't have a BFP then anyway, so go for it and best of luck x

MimiDiddy Thu 28-Apr-16 20:05:58

Thanks Wanderlust, I've officially accepted my friend's challenge. The training starts this weekend, in the meantime I'm enjoying some pre-training winegrin.

Wanderlust1 Fri 29-Apr-16 08:12:28

Good on you Mimi. smile
If it reassures you, my friend who is 2 weeks away from giving birth is a personal trainer specializing in pre and post natal and she recommends exercising all the way through pregnancy, within reason and not trying out judo for the first time ! Ha ha.
But continuing gym, light weights, running and all the sports you normally do. She taught us spin up until 2 weeks ago and regularly excercises.
I'm overseas actually and the doctors here insist you get at least 30min of light excercise a day when pregnant.
You'll nail it! Have fun X

MimiDiddy Fri 29-Apr-16 20:41:48

Wanderlust, I have heard that pregnancy and labour are much easier if you stay active, don't think I'll do the triathlon if I fall pregnant but plan to keep the exercise routine going. Will just have to think of it as labour training instead. I've got my first parkrun tomorrow morning. It's looking unlikely I'll be getting a BFP this cycle so it's good to have something else positive to focus on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now