(Possibly ridiculous) question about food!

(4 Posts)
Seriousjockin Mon 11-Apr-16 12:19:31

I'm still fairly new to the whole TTC rollercoaster (trying for first baby) and I'm unsure of what the 'rules' are for the tww.

At the moment I'm knocking booze on the head for the 2-ish weeks where I could possibly be pregnant, but am I supposed to be doing all the other stuff like avoiding certain cheese and cured meats etc? Or is that neurotic?!

It's only been a few months so I'm still a little on the nervous side.. opinions and advice on whether you adapt your diet or carry on as normal in the tww would be very welcome!

DropYourSword Mon 11-Apr-16 12:22:32

Good idea to not drink (and quit smoking if you're a smoker) but you don't need to modify your diet specifically. It is a good idea to take antenatal vitamins and have a healthy balanced diet though. And I recently have heard that men TTC should limit themselves to one cup of coffee a day - no idea how true or proven that is though.

Seriousjockin Mon 11-Apr-16 12:41:41

Ooh that's interesting, hadn't heard that about men and coffee.

Good to hear your thoughts. I'm taking folic acid tablets and limiting my caffeine intake, but otherwise eating normally. I only really starting thinking about it because over the weekend I was at a dinner with a cheese board full of weird fancy blue cheeses and I suddenly wondered whether it was still fine to tuck into them, as I'm only in the tww!?

LidikaLikes Mon 11-Apr-16 13:28:27

At this stage I'd say you should be taking Folic Acid tablet every day. Good advice is to take it for a month before conception and for first 12 weeks of pregnancy.

Avoid booze and cigs, but don't limit your food too much now, you'll have plenty of time for that when pregnant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now