Possible false negative at doctors surgery?

(5 Posts)
Shootingstar2289 Sun 10-Apr-16 09:10:57

Good morning, Recently I visited the nurse practioner at my local doctors surgery. I have been on Cilest since January but over the last month I have had bleeding between periods, spotting a day or two after sex.

The first thing she did was a pregnancy teat. She only kept it on the side for about 30 seconds I believe.. Before telling me it was negative and binning it. Phew. I have two children already and not planning anymore. She then did swabs etc.

However, since then I have been having some odd symptoms. Tiredness - struggling to get up in the mornings and sleeping in the day when my lo naps, feeling lethargic - having no energy for anything. Both of these aren't usually like me. I am usually full of energy.

Urinating more often, stomach and back cramps, unsettled stomach, dizziness, dry mouth and generally feeling off which has been similar to my last two pregnancies.

What I want to know is, why did she only keep the test out for 30 seconds? Are the tests at the doctors quicker or should I do another test? It only looked the cheap tests you buy in Asda 2 for 1 pound and I had a negative with these when I was pregnant with my youngest when I was in fact pregnant.

Advice?

Shootingstar2289 Sun 10-Apr-16 09:11:19

practitioner*;

RNBrie Sun 10-Apr-16 09:13:02

False negatives are common in the early stages of pregnancy. Do another test at home. Good luck!!

Shadow1986 Sun 10-Apr-16 09:19:26

I had a negative test for my current pregnancy, I was obviously testing too early. I'd get yourself another test so you can rule it out.

TimeOfGlass Sun 10-Apr-16 09:27:11

I would do a home test with early morning urine if you're worried about it.

I had a pregnancy test with the nurses practitioner at our GP surgery the other day. Standard practice before referring to midwife here.

It took a good 2 minutes for a line to appear, despite 3 positive home tests (not the early detection type) earlier in the week. She reckoned it was probably down to a combination of me being very early on in pregnancy - 5 weeks - and the urine being pretty dilute because I'd just drunk about a gallon of water in order to be able to provide a urine sample in time for the appointment. (They had a cancellation in 30 minutes or no appointment for a week when I rang the GP surgery, having just had a wee).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now