False positive pregnancy test?

(34 Posts)
birchygoo Tue 29-Mar-16 23:49:14

Hi all, I use to be a regular on this board - some of you may remember my name. I had to leave for my own sanity as after 18 months of trying I still never had a BFP. I have since tried 5 months of clomid - no bfp. Then had a lap and dye and all was fine. This was a month ago and I have had one period since then.

My period is 1 day late (although it is irregular) so I nipped to tesco and bought one of their cheap pregnancy tests. I have just pos and within seconds I got 2 blue lines!! I am to nervous to accept that this is possibly correct. Has anyone ever had a false positive. My husband said maybe I pee'd too long on it... I will try another one tomorrow. Im trying so hard not to get my hopes up!

(sorry for background info - just wanted to set the scene for why Im so anxious over it) Ps i have been taking painkillers for 3 days for 'period cramps'

SnuffleGruntSnorter Wed 30-Mar-16 00:09:20

Sounds like a bfp to me... Make sure it's paracetamol and not ibuprofen you're taking and do another test!

Fridgedooropen Wed 30-Mar-16 00:18:33

I thought false positives were very rare. It's reasonable to assume that you really are pregnant - congrats! flowers It is possible that luck has just gone your way this time smile Get a different brand test tomorrow just to cross check.
(I'm also late and testing tomorrow, so will join you in the lucky club if I'm, well, lucky grin)

birchygoo Wed 30-Mar-16 00:21:15

Thanks for your reply snuffle ...

I wont take anymore painkillers. (unless period arrives - finger crossed it wont though). I had been taken codine/paracetamol. I have googled and they seem to be fine (whew). I normally start painkillers at first twinge as I need to build up the pain resistance as they are normally very painful.

I just did the other test in the pack with much less pee and same result! I will nip out and buy another test in the morning though. I will probably be so neurotic I will not believe it still.

Oh I hope so so much that it is

birchygoo Wed 30-Mar-16 00:24:30

Fridge - sorry didnt see your post - thanks for the reply!

Good luck for tomorrow and fingers crossed for you - please let me know how you get on xx

SnuffleGruntSnorter Wed 30-Mar-16 00:34:53

I did 17 pregnancy tests blush so I understand (a little of) how you're feeling. Get some folic acid and shloer to pop into a champagne glass too!

I had lots of horrible stretching pains in the first few weeks but it settled quickly, so don't worry about the pain.

Hawkmoth Wed 30-Mar-16 00:34:54

I didn't even get a false positive using a two years out of date test, or when I ran water on the stick because I hadn't done enough wee... Good luck.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Wed 30-Mar-16 00:35:56

And fridge is right, for there to be two clear lines you need to have the bhcg in your wee.

birchygoo Wed 30-Mar-16 01:03:29

Thanks everyone

I feel sick with nerves and Im trying ever so hard not to stress and get anxious over it as this was the first month I wasnt anxious about there being something wrong ...

The good news is I have been taking folic acid for nearly two years now so I should have well high enough levels lol

Thanks for the reassurance about the cramps as I was worried about that as it still feels AF might show up. Good to know others have also had similar.

I have since read that using a ovulation stick can also sometimes tell. I got a very faint line on it.

Im soo impatient - thanks for hand holding me though this. I am on holidays from work this week which is maybe just as well as I wouldnt cope tomorrow. However that means being by myself and constantly annoying you lot as I have no one else to talk to about it. (I have some friends who know about TTC but I dont want to tell them until I am confident its true)

Fridgedooropen Wed 30-Mar-16 08:29:35

birchy tested and got a very, very faint line. Now a line is a line smile but it does make me wonder whether it will stick. I had an early m/c a few months ago and I'm 42, so I am not confident it will succeed - but I am pregnant for now smile also I have a 7yo very faint line upstairs so it can work wink Fingers crossed for you and me both.

Loki17 Wed 30-Mar-16 08:43:57

Get a digital. They are pretty hard to argue with. Sounds bfp to me. Good luck.

Blondie87 Wed 30-Mar-16 08:54:13

My first sign I was pregnant was cramps (thought period was on its way) then tested and it was positive. It took 10 months for me to get a positive and I needed 7 tests to convince me and I still didn't really believe it until the 12 week scan. I now have a very lovely 11 mo DS. Congratulations and good luck x

underrugsswept Wed 30-Mar-16 09:05:03

Nope, the test can't produce a line without your producing the hormone so you are going to have to accept that you're knocked up! Congrats!

KitKat1985 Wed 30-Mar-16 11:12:32

Congratulations! If you are struggling to accept that it's a positive I find doing a digital much better. You don't have that 'is that a dark enough line' dilemma when it just says 'pregnant'! But I've no doubt that you are. grin

birchygoo Wed 30-Mar-16 14:17:06

Well I guess I'm pregnant!!! Omg now I'm a 31 year old now shitting myself lol thanks everyone I'm so over the moon!

Fridge

birchygoo Wed 30-Mar-16 14:17:42

Sorry went to early

Fridge fingers crossed for little stickers :-)

ScottishLady7 Wed 30-Mar-16 15:19:29

Congrats, great lines star

OddBoots Wed 30-Mar-16 15:22:27

Wonderful! Congratulations. smile

Sometimesithinkimbonkers Wed 30-Mar-16 15:25:07

Congratulations xxxx

onedogatoddlerandababy Wed 30-Mar-16 15:30:53

Photo of the tests made me smile!
Congrats! flowers

JemimapuddleducK02 Wed 30-Mar-16 18:07:26

Congrats!!! I'm so pleased for you!

m33r Wed 30-Mar-16 20:37:50

Excellent lines birchy. How late are you? They are very dark and digi says 2-3. Twins? grin

Hadron21 Wed 30-Mar-16 20:42:03

Lovely news. Congratulations X

stubbornstains Wed 30-Mar-16 20:44:43

Ha ha, they're not even squinters! No doubt about those lines.

Congratulations OP thanks

And to fridge too thanks

Flossiesmummy Wed 30-Mar-16 20:50:02

Mega congrats! thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now