how long for your periods to return after stopping breastfeeding?

(37 Posts)
artisanroast Sat 26-Mar-16 17:34:07

Hi

I am keen to conceive ASAP after stopping breastfeeding. I have exclusively breast fed (no formula at all) now we have purée at breakfast and lunch however this has not affected the volume of milk feed taken. I don't feel more full.

However... I want to ensure I am doing the best for the child I have before ttc the child I want to have. If that makes sense?

My daughter is 6 months and I plan to breastfeed until she is 9 months.

So, how long did it take after you stopped breastfeeding for you fertility/periods to return?

Thanks

0phelia Sat 26-Mar-16 17:36:04

I stopped BF at 9mo.
My periods returned precisely on the full moon following stopping breastfeeding. (Couple of weeks).

0phelia Sat 26-Mar-16 17:38:23

By the way, when they return they are heavy far heavier than pre-pregnancy.

Claraoswald36 Sat 26-Mar-16 17:40:33

It took 6 months for dd1 and about 4 for dd2

ShowOfHands Sat 26-Mar-16 17:41:51

Mine came back whilst still feeding dd. She was 3 months old.

DS was 12 months and still feeding when they came back.

BendydickCuminsnatch Sat 26-Mar-16 17:50:41

Mine came back as normal a month after stopping.

Havalina1 Sat 26-Mar-16 18:00:34

Mine came back a few weeks after I started reducing the breast feeding. They didn't come back heavier though as a PP said. They were easier to manage if anything.

Also bf'ig a 6 month old and just started introducing solids - well - i mean mush. No periods and don't expect them til feeds drop off which I'm really hoping they won't!

MewlingQuim Sat 26-Mar-16 18:03:34

My periods returned when dd was 5 months old. I bf her until 1 year old.

Luckystar1 Sat 26-Mar-16 18:04:59

At about 10 months I cut down substantially on the number of daily feeds (to 5...). Periods came back in 2 weeks, I was pregnant 2 weeks later...

MewlingQuim Sat 26-Mar-16 18:05:41

My periods were not heavier than pre pregnancy when they returned, maybe a little lighter.

YokoUhOh Sat 26-Mar-16 18:08:15

I fed DS until he was almost 3. Periods came back at about two and a half (still feeding). I couldn't conceive until I'd finished BF...

InWithTheOutlaws Sat 26-Mar-16 18:11:54

Still feeding DC2 at 10mths, just came back.....boo. Will continue as long as possible/1.5 to 2 years I reckon. DC1 fed till 1.5yrs....period came back exactly 10mths as well.

Sometimesithinkimbonkers Sat 26-Mar-16 18:37:03

Mine came back when DC were 9 months I was still feeding! Fed DS1 and he self weaned at 16 mths as I was pregnant with ds2 and I think the taste changes X

MoreGilmoreGirls Sat 26-Mar-16 18:40:36

Mine came back after a month of stopping were also heavier but then settled back down to normalish. Took nearly a year to get pg though was not seriously trying to begin with.

OhGoToSleepPLEASE Sat 26-Mar-16 18:56:12

Still bf 8month old. Periods came back at 6months (v heavy sad)

BertieBotts Sat 26-Mar-16 19:04:31

I fed until 4 years, periods came back at 18 months.

Anecdotally it's typical for them to return at about 9 months if you BF longer. I think mine were late because I was really really underweight at the time.

BertieBotts Sat 26-Mar-16 19:08:29

They say that LAM - breastfeeding as contraception - is only trustworthy up to 6 months. So you might be OK to start trying now. I know a fair few people who got pregnant while still breastfeeding. It only suppresses ovulation up to a certain point.

It's also said that you can induce ovulation by taking a 24 hour break from breastfeeding (supply would survive that at this stage) or by introducing a large gap e.g. overnight (if you're lucky!) or during the day - nursery etc. The nursery reason might be the reason for the 9 month anecdotal "average".

It's also possible to track your temperature or use OPK type things to work out if you've started ovulating again even though you are still BF, then you don't necessarily have to stop.

Luckystar1 Sat 26-Mar-16 19:18:51

Oh I was still breastfeeding when I got pregnant and until I was 12 weeks pregnant.

artisanroast Sat 26-Mar-16 19:59:26

Hi

thanks ladies, this is brilliant.

Lucky, just as your name says you really are! I would love if things worked out for me the way they did for you smile

Its quite a good idea to start tracking ovulation again (I was never any good at tracking temp). I'll buy some cheap ovulation sticks.

I may try a 24 hour break too.

I am so desperate for my periods to come back. I have become a bit spotty recently so I was hoping it may be a change in hormones.

thanks again

xx

Bluelilies Sat 26-Mar-16 20:02:19

Mine started up 3 months after birth both times round despite 100% bf babies.

I think once you start weaning they're more likely to start up, even if you're still part feeding

artisanroast Sat 26-Mar-16 20:07:10

and please keep posting about when your periods came back.

the more info the better smile

Luckystar1 Sat 26-Mar-16 20:29:10

Haha yes very lucky! Best of luck to you.

Mind you if you saw my thread about my DS at the moment, you might wonder wtf I'm letting myself in for wink

JasperDamerel Sat 26-Mar-16 20:31:52

I breastfed for years, but my periods came back way 9 months each times. I breastfed DC1 throughout my pregnancy with DC2.

shutthebackdoor Sat 26-Mar-16 20:35:56

Mine returned when I started weaning, DS is fed to sleep but has formula during day. I'm still feeding him to sleep but period returned at about 6 months

Lightbulbon Sat 26-Mar-16 20:42:44

Dc1 was 1/2 BF 1/2 formula from 2 months, started weaning at 5 months but period not back til 9 months (2 BF pd by then)

Dc2 gradually reduced from 6wks to no BF at 4 months and period back within the month.

Dc3 ebf 6 months, now BF 3pd no period

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now