Nearly 40 - should I be worried after 4 months of TTC with no success?

(6 Posts)
CandyCrush77 Fri 11-Mar-16 17:23:33

Just that really. Period is due on Sunday and pretty sure I am not pregnant as no symptoms. This will be the 4th month we have tried. I'm nearly 40 and DH is 46. Should we be worried? When do you seek help? I thought it would have happened now but on the other hand we haven't been trying that long. We both already have 2 kids each (none together) so were fertile at one point. smile

Sanch1 Fri 11-Mar-16 19:50:50

Guidelines are that if you are over 35 your gp should offer tests and investigations if you've not conceived within 6 months. So give it another coupe before you go. Hopefully you won't need to, it can take a bit longer when you're older.

CandyCrush77 Sat 12-Mar-16 18:21:35

thanks Sanch. Do you know what sort of tests the GP will do?

Sanch1 Sun 13-Mar-16 16:03:49

I'm not an expert, and not sure if you already having children would make a difference but they'd look at hormones, if you're ovulating, sperm analysis etc.

Cheekylittlemonkeypants Sun 13-Mar-16 18:37:00

I'm 40 this summer, and pg with #2. It took us 8 months of TTC 2nd time round. We conceived on month 2 of using clear blue digital ov sticks, which I highly recommend as it took all the guess work out of when I ovulated.

CandyCrush77 Sun 13-Mar-16 18:42:48

thanks all. Sanch/Cheeky, we used an ovulation kit last month and I got the two lines which is why I'm surprised I didn't conceive as we definitely DTD at the right time. Kicking myself we didn't start trying ages ago. We've been together nearly 5 years and only just around to deciding to TTC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now