Low temperatures?

(6 Posts)
Twinklelittlestar1 Thu 10-Mar-16 17:56:07

I'm so confused with this temperature keeping thing! I started taking my temperature about three weeks ago using a basal thermometer but misunderstood and used my armpit for the readings, which came out consistently around the 35.5 mark until this Sunday which was about the time of ovulation when they rose to 35.9. Anyway, after doing some research I switched to temping under the tongue (giving me temperature of around 36.6. However, research tells me that this is way below normal body temperature. I have checked on another thermometer which gave me the same reading. Just wondered if anyone had any similar experiences? Would be really worried (bit of a worrier!) but boyfriend's temps came out even lower than mine (on both thermometers) what's going on? Any ideas?

H0p3 Thu 10-Mar-16 18:43:40

Not sure where you've got the impression it's way below normal, but from a previous temper, who is now pregnant, I can tell you that's totally normal. My temps were always between 35.90 and 36.45 before ovulation and then between 36.30 and 36.70 after ovulation. They were more stable (so more like 36.10-36.20 prior and 36.30-36.70 after) in my last cycle where I conceived but it was only my second cycle off the implant and second cycle TTC so didn't have long to get used to them. Sounds like you're doing fine! Don't stress and try to enjoy learning your body, it's very interesting!

Twinklelittlestar1 Thu 10-Mar-16 19:22:15

Ok thanks, that's great to hear. I figured it might be ok, especially with the boyf having lower temperatures than me (and he has a cold)

In my research about how to temp properly I read lots of thugs like this: 'a healthy before-rising morning basal temp should be between 97.8 – 98.2 (he used a mercury thermometer under the arm for ten minutes)'

Twinklelittlestar1 Thu 10-Mar-16 19:22:48

*things

H0p3 Thu 10-Mar-16 19:35:52

Nah - ignore anything that tries to tell you there is a definitive normal (within reason of course!). Everyone is different and different bodies do different things. I wouldn't want anyone not to check something if it was very outside the norm, but in general it's about working out what is normal for you. I freaked out at my sister this cycle, who is a temping guru, as I was convinced my temps were too low and I had low progesterone...4 days later I got my BFP to which my Sister responded, well I thought you would but didn't want to say just in case! Once you have a couple of charts you'll see what your big picture is and what is your normal. I wish I'd started temping earlier (it was third cycle off implant not second) so I had more data but obviously extremely happy we got our bean.

Twinklelittlestar1 Thu 10-Mar-16 21:24:19

Thanks for taking time to respond, much appreciated. Big congratulations on the pregnancy 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now