Does PID affect your fertility?

(8 Posts)
Lexia123 Tue 23-Feb-16 23:22:49

Just wondering.... I've just had surgery for pelvic inflammatory disease which was quite bad- ovaries and tubes plastered to wall of tummy, lots of adhesions etc. from an infection :-( the surgeon said I'm more at risk of ectopic in the future. I'm a bit worried my fertility may be affected (32, no children yet) but obviously there is no way of knowing until you start trying etc.

Just wondered if anybody found it made getting pg harder?

Loki17 Wed 24-Feb-16 06:29:54

I didn't have surgery but my lsparoscapy showed one of my ovaries was clubbed. I've had a dd and been pregnant again although it ended in mc. Nothing to do with my pid though. Good luck flowers

Lexia123 Wed 24-Feb-16 12:45:58

broodypsycho Thu 25-Feb-16 18:40:52

I've been tested positive for chlamydia anti bodies (very big shock as ive never been treated for chlamydia) I'm very nervous to get my hsg test to see if there's tube damage. How do you know if you've got pid? How's it treated?

Beansprout30 Thu 25-Feb-16 20:01:34

Broody, I also had anti bodies show up however I fell pregnant before having my tubes checked. Hopefully yours will be ok

Junosmum Thu 25-Feb-16 20:47:02

It an, as it can cause scar tissue to block your fallopian tubes. Like you say, you won't know until you try (unless you pay for private tests) and depending on the damage it can be treated.

Lexia123 Fri 26-Feb-16 18:31:45

I only found out after two years of worsening tummy pain/discomfort. I felt like my insides were stuck to each other, which sounds bizarre, but that's exactly what they were. A mass of adhesions and violin-string adhesions. I'm so glad I did something about it, but on the other hand, I think I left it too late. Treated for infection with 14 days of super-strong antibiotics, but I think PID is a recurring thing. A bit in the dark myself- going to have a follow up in 3 months time with surgeon.

Allyb85 Thu 05-May-16 19:07:08

I don't think PID 'recurs' once the causative infection is treated and cleared. It can lead to chronic pain and infertility due to scars and adhesions, so future pain may be the result of scarring. However, statistics are reasonably favourable- 1 in 8 PID sufferers will become infertile, which means 7 in 8 don't have any problems!
Like you say though, no way of knowing until TTC. As I understand, your history of PID would mean you could ttc for 6 months (as opposed to 12) before seeing a DR about investigating potential issues.
I wish you all the luck in the world with this. Hope you get a lovely baby soon. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now