Folic acid doesn't seem to agree with me!

(8 Posts)
INeedNewShoes Fri 29-Jan-16 16:01:11

I'm starting fertility treatment shortly.

I started taking Seven Seas 'Trying for a baby' pills a few weeks ago. They're a mix of folic acid, calcium, vitamin D and a few other things.

Since starting taking them I've had a mildly upset stomach so I went to the pharmacy and bought just some plain folic acid pills.

These are having the same effect.

I know that folic acid is really important, but how do I weigh up whether it's important enough that it's worth making me constantly slightly unwell, which surely won't be good for a baby anyway?

My diet is good and I've upped the amount of dark leafy greens, avocado, beetroot etc. that I'm eating.

Has anyone else experienced this? Are there any alternatives to taking the tablets?

justtheonethen Sat 30-Jan-16 19:56:22

Have you tried taking them at night? That's what I do as my conception vitamins make me feel a bit off.

Flamingoblue1 Sat 30-Jan-16 20:25:19

Take them with foods. Helps me xx

eastpregnant Sat 30-Jan-16 20:39:05

According to the NHS website: "it would be almost impossible to get enough folic acid just from food - the only way to be sure you are getting the right amount is by taking a supplement".

Like others have said, try taking them at night or with food? I'd be wary of going without if I could possibly help it because they do significantly lower the chance of your baby having a neural tube defect.

karen912 Sat 30-Jan-16 21:23:02

They have the same effect on me.. but I take them just before going to bed now and it works much better for me. I think it is too important not to take it to be honest.

INeedNewShoes Sun 31-Jan-16 02:03:01

Thanks for your responses.

I'm already taking them with my evening meal. I've noticed that a B vitamin complex capsule I used to take with no ill effects has the 400mu of folic acid in it. The tub I've got has expired so I'll go to Holland and Barratt and buy another tub of the same (I've checked and there's no Vitamin A in it so it should be ok).

The difference with these is that they're in a liquid capsule form, which makes me think it might be whatever the binding agent of the Seven Seas and the plain Folic Acid tablets is that is affecting me.

melonribena Sun 31-Jan-16 09:10:55

Can I recommend changing brand? I took pregnacare in my first pregnancy and it brought me out in an itchy rash. I changed to boots one brand and was fine!

Flamingoblue1 Sun 31-Jan-16 10:09:47

I just use the cheap superdrug ones as it's all the same stuff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now