Will they let me undergo IVF..?? Help please!!

(3 Posts)
CautionHormone Thu 07-Jan-16 00:48:04

Hi all,

I am 24 years old and plan to undergo IVF alone. The reasons behind this are personal, but let's just say I'm more than happy and quite excited about doing it all myself.

My question is, is because I have Bipolar Disorder, will they let me undergo IVF? I've already enquired about egg sharing but they've turned me down on that basis but said no more on whether I can or cannot have IVF due to having Bipolar, even though I have emailed them back and asked them (they just never got back to me).

I'm really worried that having Bipolar will hinder my chances. I've been completely stable now for three and a half years, and I'm on barely any medication for it. I will be paying privately, completely funding myself, so do they have any grounds to turn me down??

Thank you in advanced smile

Loki17 Thu 07-Jan-16 08:13:37

I think you need to go and talk to your gp. The hormonal affects of pregnancy and post delivery can have a massive effect on women without pre-existing medical conditions. It would be a good idea for you to have a care plan in place. You will need some support; do you have family around you? My friend who went through if as a single mum has the support of her parents. She had twins so she needed it. There is no reason why they should refuse you. For your own health, putting a care plan in place will keep you safe and that is important. Good luck flowers

CautionHormone Thu 07-Jan-16 09:56:26

Thank you for replying Loki.

Getting a care plan in place wouldn't be a bad idea, I don't suppose. I know the hormone effects in pregnancy & after are astronomical, and I can't possibly judge how I'm going to be feeling during & after pregnancy, but at the same time, this is something I've wanted for so long so I can't see it having a negative effect. Maybe that's just me being naive, I don't know...
I have so much support around me. I have my parents who I'm close with and see all the time, even down to my Nan and Grandad - they're supportive of me, too.
I have thought of every possible thing that could go wrong (I've been thinking about this now for a year) and I don't believe that (even though I could be wrong) anything could go badly. I'm stable, I'm fit and healthy, I'm genuinely like any other person. My worries were just whether they'd turn me down or not for having bipolar, even though if I had conceived the 'natural way' nobody would bat an eyelid as much. If that makes sense?!
Thank you for getting back to me Loki, it's very much appreciated smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now