Private drs appointment, advice please

(12 Posts)
hilzypop Sat 02-Jan-16 12:52:51

I was refered by my gp to nhs gynaeacology at the start of november. Just had confirmation that I am on the waiting list and its going to be 25weeks almost 6months! I am having really heavy very freaquent periods with lots of cramping and spotting between times which is making ttc difficult (no luck after 7months after getting pregnant first time round within first few months of trying). On the reccomendation of my gp I decided to look into going private couldnt get much info and they just sent an apointment (its really soon which is great) I phoned up to ask about prices. They were vague but suggested I may need ultrasounds £300-800, blood tests £100 a go as well as the consultation £250-£350 all combined will probably be over £1000 which i could as a one off just about afford but really couldnt afford anything more in the private system further treatment etc would i be able to go back to the nhs for treatment etc? Would this appointment be a waste of time if cant really afford follow up? Also i may get no answers and will have wasted a lot of money? Any similar experiances? Please help! Thanks

hilzypop Sun 03-Jan-16 10:43:34

Anyone?

12purpleapples Sun 03-Jan-16 10:51:11

It might be worth the initial appointment to talk through what the options are and then make a judgement at that point about what you can afford, or if there are elements of it that you might be able to access on the NHS?

RvG2014 Sun 03-Jan-16 10:52:33

25 weeks is horrendously awful!!
I was in a similiar situation 3 years ago... I paid privately for the initial consultation which i think was £180? And then proceeded to have everything else done on the NHS. I waited 4 weeks for an uss... And then 10 weeks for an op tjat ultimately diagnosed endometriosis...

I am very much in 2 minds at the moment about paying the £90 to see my consultant again as im not due to see him for another 2 mths and im having a lot of trouble with it sad
It is totally worth it though.. Even if you just pay for the initial consultation, it at least gets the ball rolling in a matter of weeks rather than months smile

Moomin37 Sun 03-Jan-16 10:57:07

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time OP. To me £1,000 sounds an awful lot of money. I paid to see a private fertility consultant last January and I think the consultation was £200 and an internal scan was another £200 I think. She wanted to see the blood results the GP had done and picked up a problem he hadn't. I then paid another £35 for a blood test the NHS doesn't do. All in all its the best £450 I've ever spent as it got me answers and saved time. Is it possible for you to 'shop around' and get some other quotes? Also your GP can get the blood tests done on the NHS. Good luck!

Teenagecrisisagain Sun 03-Jan-16 10:59:52

Have you had your thyroid level checked?
My TSH level was too high and caused very heavy periods I was put on levothyroxine and if it stays below 2 I feel generally ok

It can be a cause of infertility and pregnancy loss if TSH not right. Gp can check it

Whatdoidohelp Sun 03-Jan-16 11:03:45

If you do these tests and get an answer your no better off. You'll know what's wrong but you still have to wait for the NHS appointments to start the ball rolling. Unless you can afford continual private care and have any ops etc don't go privately there is no point.

Teenagecrisisagain Sun 03-Jan-16 11:14:12

I think a gp can do initial tests eg thyroid like I mentioned and test to see if you ovulate. Other things like checking for anaemia and hormone profile

It could be something simple like needing tablets, you should see your gp again and ask them.

hilzypop Sun 03-Jan-16 11:14:54

Yes I am struggling at the moment and I think it would really help me if I knew what was going on.Where I live I only have one private option and even then its an hour away. I already have a dd so I'm pretty sure I wouldnt be eligable for much on the nhs. £1000 is just my worst case scenario hopefully only need one type of u/s but I think it will cost at least £500. My dr has already done some bloods. Will the prive dr have access to my nhs records or will I have to reqest these and take blood test results with me? Sorry more questions! Thanks so much for your relpliessmile

hilzypop Sun 03-Jan-16 11:19:46

teenagechrisisagain yes have had thyroid checked i do have an underactive thyroid but my levels were checked and are normal. I was diagnosed just before i concived dd so Im hoping its not causing problems this time round! I am tired and have achy joints but dr has told me repeatedly im on a high enough dose 100mg. Urgh i would like to see my levels myself x

firstgo1984 Sun 03-Jan-16 11:41:22

Your gp should be able to arrange an uss for you before you get to your gynae appointment.

Teenagecrisisagain Sun 03-Jan-16 19:14:17

For fertility TSH should be below 2

Nhs guidelines consider anything up to 5 as 'within normal range' so worth checking exactly what the level is

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now