Confused by the shettles method, any clarification much appreciated

(6 Posts)
kitkat2016 Sun 27-Dec-15 23:21:44

Hi all,
I'm very fortunate to have 3 lovely girls whom I adore more than life itself and I am immensely grateful but I'm very keen to have a boy if possible although I realise that it is not possible to guarantee it
I have read about the shettles method but am a bit confused so any clarification would be much appreciated

So I DTD and then 36 hours later I tested positive with a cheap ovulation test (I hadn't tested before this)

I read with the shettles method that you would need to DTD only when you ovulate so does this mean I should have waited to DTD till after I got a positive OPK and that I DTD too early?
Any clarification would be much appreciated
Many thanks

Rememberallball Mon 28-Dec-15 09:03:36

Any method that claims to make you more likely to conceive one gender or the other are nothing more than the fertility version of snake oil and are total bunkum!! You can do everything the various methods suggest but will find all that happens is you'll have the baby you'd have genetically made if you had done nothing.

The only way to guarantee having a boy is through IVF with gender selection which, for many reasons, is not legal in this country!!

Sorry not to be more positive or suggesting the method to use but it's hard enough to conceive and have a healthy baby without building up hopes that doing X or Y will give you that elusive boy xx

kitkat2016 Mon 28-Dec-15 13:15:28

Thanks so much for your reply Rememberallball - much appreciated smile
Yes thats what I read too.
I just wondered as there's no harm in trying

I just did another ovulation test 24 hours after the positive one and it was negative so I am now confused as to when I did exactly ovulate and then confused if I DTD too early or not and if I'm trying to follow the shettles method if it was too early to DTD?
Any advice greatly appreciated x

Polgen20 Mon 28-Dec-15 13:49:50

I don't know how much truth there is to it, but as far as I understand babies that are conceived very closely to ovulation (the day of or the day after where the egg is ready for the sperm to meet) is likely to be a boy, babies conceived 2-5 days prior to ovulation are meant to be more likely to be girls, only based around that female sperm take longer to get there but die last. The Opk would detect the surge meaning you probably didn't ovulate until 12+ hours after meaning over 48 hours ish.

Seekingmiracles Mon 28-Dec-15 18:42:54

I think the theory is that female sperm last longer but swim slower so if you want a girl you dtd before ovulation to ensure that there are female sperm there waiting for the egg.
Make sperm don't live as long but swim faster so if you want a boy you dtd as close as possible to ovulation so that the boy sperm make it to the egg before the girls.
Make sense??
So if you want to enhance your chances of having a boy you should only dtd when you've had a positive opk, not too much before.

kitkat2016 Mon 28-Dec-15 20:50:49

Thanks so much for your replies everyone smile

So that would mean that I DTD too early as I hadn't got the positive OPK test before DTD??

I hadn't realised that once you do get a positive OPK that its not until 12+ hours before you would ovulate. So perhaps for next month it would be better to wait 12 hours before DTD after getting the positive OPK test? I don't want to miss the ovulation window but I would like to try and be as near as possible to ovulation.
Any advice greatly appreciated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now