5mg Folic Acid

(8 Posts)
lucylou1234 Thu 24-Dec-15 10:29:39

Hi Guys,

i've been prescribed 5mg folic acid to take due to a family history of NTD in the family. I double checked with the pharmacist if it was ok to take the pre-matal vitamins as well she said i couldn't as the also contain folic acid and 5mg is the maximum recommended dose.

Do you guys know if there are any suitable multi vitamins i should be taking that don't contain vitamin a or folic acid?

I've had a look online and can't find anything sad

29redshoes Thu 24-Dec-15 13:43:33

I think your pharmacist is talking rubbish, 5mg is not the maximum dose of folic acid. My GP told me that (within reason of course) you can't have too much. Check with your GP but I think you're fine.

I also have a history of NTDs in my family, am currently 20 weeks pregnant and have taken 5mg folic acid alongside pregnacare since before I conceived. I've been completely open about this with the GP, midwife and consultant and nobody has ever raised an issue with it!

ANiceSliceOfCake Thu 24-Dec-15 14:18:12

Yes, I agree. What ever folic acid your body doesn't use just gets expelled. You can't take too much. I took 5mg and pregnacare, it's fine.

DinoSnores Thu 24-Dec-15 16:28:50

You are totally fine. You'd be taking 5.4mg as opposed to 5mg.

You don't need to take the prenatal vitamins if you don't want to though. The most important ones are folic acid (so you are on that) and Vitamin D, which can be bought alone.

lucylou1234 Thu 24-Dec-15 20:31:06

Aw man I just threw out my pre-natal vitamins thinking I couldn't take them sad

Anyone took the pregnacare with the omega capsules ? There's just so many vitamins etc it's so hard to know what to do for the best sad

Jellybean100 Thu 24-Dec-15 20:46:36

I asked my consultant and she said no it is a water soluble vitamin so anything your body doesn't use gets peed out anyway. However I just stuck to taking 5mg until 14 weeks then started taking the pregnancy vitamins after

DinoSnores Thu 24-Dec-15 20:49:00

I've been taking the Pregnacare with Omega 3. Get them out the bin, they are so expensive! fgrin

lucylou1234 Sun 03-Jan-16 21:48:23

awww dinosnores it was too late to save them sad i ended up deciding to take vitamin d and iron tablets along with my high dose folic acid just to be on the safe side smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now