TTC After Removel of the Mirena Coil

(12 Posts)
JBoogie86 Mon 14-Sep-15 08:50:51

Hi,
Just looking for a bit of advice and curious to see if anyone else has been in the same position .
I had the M Coil for 5 yrs and very rarely had monthly visit. I had it removed 8 months ago and have actively been trying since then. My cyles went back straight away to 28/29 days but don't seem to be very heavy. Each month I have a dull ache normally in my left side just below my hip bone that travels into my lower back , still only on the left side and lasts from around CD 11 till af arrives. I do experience ovulating pains and this feels very much like it.
I'm taking vitimins cut out alcohol been relaxed been not so relaxed , planned dtd , not planned it and each months the same.
I've been to the doctors but was told to come ack after a year, they wouldn't even discuss the pain. I guess I'm just a bit fed up, with no friends to vent to I'm just feeling a bit frustrated as what to do next! Unfortunately I'm not very good at not knowing and just waiting!
If you have any advice or suggestions they would be very welcome! : )

Annarose2014 Mon 14-Sep-15 10:36:02

The Mirena doesn't affect fertility. You become able to conceive straight away.

However that doesn't mean you will!

Also remember that it takes two - has your partner been checked out?

babybrain3 Mon 14-Sep-15 12:08:29

I've just had mine taken out ready to start ttc again. Dr told me I would be fertile straight away-even if we had dtd within the last couple of days I could still get pregnant. I know it's hard to do, but try not to stress about it and just keep doing what your doing. If it doesn't happen in the next few months you'll be able to have some tests done. Fx for you. Xx

babybrain3 Mon 14-Sep-15 12:10:32

Btw-I had the same experience as you after I had my last coil out-shorter cycle and very light AF. Hth

JBoogie86 Mon 14-Sep-15 14:06:13

Thank you, we have spoken about my DH getting tested just to see.
Babybrain3, how did you get on after you had it removed, did you find it took you a while to conceive? Did your cycles improve? Sorry for all the questions
X

Writerwannabe83 Mon 14-Sep-15 14:12:20

In some cases the Mirena can affect ovulation and in other cases it doesn't. I think in terms of statistics it stops ovulation in 25% of women who have the Mirena in place.

When I had my coil in I had regular periods and so I was very 'in the know' when it came to my cycle. When I had my Mirena removed the doctor told me that as I'd been having regular periods it was very likely I would conceive straight away as ovulation hadn't been affected.

I had my Mirena removed on about CD 20 and I had a short 3 day withdrawal bleed. About a week after that I had my period which I came bang on time (my cycles were 30/31 days).

Due to having had my Coil out on CD 20 it meant me and DH had missed my fertile days in that cycle so conception wasn't possible but I did get pregnant during my next cycle.

I had my Coil removed at the end of May and got my BFP in the middle of July.

I would imagine that if you weren't having regular periods it would indicate your hormones and ovulation had been affected by the presence of the Mirena and it may take some time before things return to normal and before you can conceive.

Good luck on your TTC journey flowers

babybrain3 Mon 14-Sep-15 14:47:27

Id had mine in for 5 years, had no AF for the duration and still had no problems conceiving. I don't think not having periods whilst you have the coil in is an indication of ovulation problems.
The Coil makes the lining of the womb too thin for an egg to implant, so you will only lose any 'extra' blood when you do have a period. It doesn't mean you aren't ovulating if you don't have them. That's what I understand anyway.

After having it removed I initially conceived after about 3 months, but then suffered an early miscarriage. After that it was about 6 months later we conceived again successfully.

Good luck ????smile

babybrain3 Mon 14-Sep-15 14:49:16

Congrats on your BFP writer

babybrain3 Mon 14-Sep-15 14:49:58

Oops didn't mean to put question marks-sorry! confused

JBoogie86 Mon 14-Sep-15 19:52:45

Writer, congratulations! Babybrain3 thank you, I'm sorry to hear of your MC x

X

Writerwannabe83 Mon 14-Sep-15 21:50:29

I feel bad for people thinking my BFP is a recent thing grin

My DS is actually 18 months old grin

FlourishingMrs Mon 14-Sep-15 23:19:08

I took mine out is dec 2014, like you I had it 5 years. I have two DC who were easy to conceive. I am still not pregnant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now