39 and TTC - can I wait a year or too risky?

(6 Posts)
CandyCrush77 Wed 09-Sep-15 17:58:57

DH and I both married last year. We've been together 4 years and both have 2 kids from previous marriages, his are 12 and 9 and mine are 7 and 5. We are pretty sure that we would like to try to have a baby together BUT can't decide when. DH thinks lots of reasons to crack on as I am not getting any younger but I would ideally like more time to get used to the idea plus I generally don't like the lifestyle changes that go with being pregnant so instinct is to put off if I can. Do I have this luxury or if we know we want a baby together should we start TTC straight away.

Tinktheterrible Wed 09-Sep-15 18:22:15

Given that you're both proven to be fertile I'd say wait, as long as you're not secretly worried that either of you are likely to have issues this time around. If you were wanting to conceive your first then I'd probably suggest you crack on, but as you're not I don't think a year would make masses of difference. Congrats on the marriage.

CandyCrush77 Thu 10-Sep-15 10:27:24

thanks Tink. Any other views?

Artioo Thu 10-Sep-15 13:12:49

Your dislike of the lifestyle changes that go with being pregnant is unlikely to go away if you wait a year, so if that's the only reason to wait, I wouldn't. There's an argument for getting it over with as soon as possible too. smile

CandyCrush77 Thu 10-Sep-15 13:24:56

Thanks Artioo, see your point. I keep thinking that this is the last year of my 30s though and that I want to make the most of it rather than being pregnant.

CarrotVan Thu 10-Sep-15 16:33:49

Is it worth getting a fertility check up to check on things like egg reserves and so on and then making a decision? this sort of thing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now