Irregular/unknown cycle - how do you manage TTC?

(12 Posts)
jellybelly85 Sat 01-Aug-15 15:01:44

Hey everyone,

I'm interested to know how those of you on irregular/unknown cycles manage TTC?

I've had 3 days of spotting but not had a proper AF since coming off the implant a month ago. I'm using OPKs daily - but not had a positive yet.

I've also done the odd pregnancy test because a) I don't know when my period is due b) I might not be using the OPKs correctly and could be unknowingly ovulating c) I wanted to verify if the symptoms (cramps, tender hard boobs, in run up to 3-day spotting) had amounted to anything...

Basically I'm really impatient!! I'm trying to dtd every 2-3 days, but finding it quite frustrating not knowing where I am in my cycle...

How do you manage it? Any tips/advice?

MummyBex1985 Sat 01-Aug-15 15:44:04

Hi

I'm in the same boat, TTC a month after implant removal.

Basically all my OPKs have been negative along with a HPT. Rubbish. But I've had a lot of PG symptoms over the last week.

I decided to test at four weeks and once a week after that, unless AF appears. And I'm logging my data in the Ovia app for my own sanity!

MummyBex1985 Sat 01-Aug-15 15:44:56

Oh and I should add, unfortunately a lot of the PG type symptoms are exactly the side effects of removing implanon. It's really frustrating.

jellybelly85 Sat 01-Aug-15 16:16:57

Hello MummyBex! Wow, we're in very similar positions, eh.

Yes its frustrating how similar PMS and PG symptoms are... I got really excited when I spotted for 3 days but apparently that doesn't really count as AF.

I'm using Ovia too, but don't think it'll be useful until AF comes... just very frustrating all round!

Going for a weekly HPT - so same as you. I'm an information addict, so would prefer to know either way.

MummyBex1985 Sat 01-Aug-15 17:59:06

Haha you're basically my TTC twin smile

My theory with Ovia is if I'm tracking negative OPKs and days when we DTD then it might accurately track my cycle when it does kick in.

The nurse said you could become PG within days so I was kinda hoping that would happen lol. Wishful thinking grin

LucieLu84 Sun 02-Aug-15 08:31:55

Hi, I'm new. Been reading lots of posts as I'm TTC and think I may have had IB. Cycles are not regular which has been frustrating. Averaging 36 days and using MyDays app to track. Had spotting CD22 very briefly. Had it again yesterday, started brownish discharge, have now had some slightly heavier blood flow but Not fresh. Have never had this. Felt a bit nauseous last week and very tired, but been very stressed at work so don't want to get hopes up. AF due around thurs next week based on average cycle length last few months. Trying to avoid testing until after thurs as really want a positive and don't want to tempt fate

jellybelly85 Sun 02-Aug-15 13:52:41

Mummybex exactly! There is a possibility (albeit tiny) that we could become pregnant - and as ovulation comes before AF, and AF hasn't arrived yet, I can't discount the possibility that I'm in the fertile window.

I can't wait until a regular cycle establishes itself (hopefully). Dtd every 2-3 days is a lot more than what we're used to, and although great fun, I worry how long we can carry on like this. Whereas in my mind if I have a regular cycle it would be 1-2 weeks trying followed by a few weeks rest!

Hi Lucie gosh how frustrating. It's hard not to symptom spot, isn't it? Fingers crossed for Thurs. Have you been able to take some time to de-stress? I find just walking my dog helps, or getting lost in a good book.

Tabby84 Mon 03-Aug-15 18:55:43

Trying to de stress jellybelly85, having very stressful time at work which isn't helping. Have long weekend coming up so going to relax smile

jellybelly85 Tue 04-Aug-15 08:30:16

Sorry to hear that Tabby. Yay for long weekends! That should help you get through this working week.

I took a proper lunch break yesterday - was so nice have a walk in the sunshine and walk down the high street. I should really do it more often!

Lauraqc Wed 05-Aug-15 18:39:24

Hi all,

I've had completely random cycles - longest was 212 days and shortest 22...It's really knackering to keep at it eod and disappointing that you have to take hpts just to know where you stand! i like the Fertility Friend app and now take my temps daily if i can - apart from anything i've found i've learned to read my body much easier and i know when i'm going to ov and also that i have a luteal phase of about 12 days so i know when to expect af...handy when you're off on hols etc...!

LittleAindy Mon 17-Aug-15 12:11:38

Hi all, I'm an irregular cycle gal. Ranging from 4 to 7.5 weeks. TTC #2 since April this year. I haven't used any OPK because of this, but I just pay close attention to my CM to guess when I'm Ov'ing (I.e. watery and abundant!). Apparently, regardless of length of cycle, AF should show about 2 weeks after Ov'ing (luteal phase??), so those two bits of info combined should help you calculate. I was a regular 5 week cycle before TTC#1, so I'm hoping it will settle eventually?!

Looking forward to hearing your results. Fx'd for all smile

Junosmum Mon 17-Aug-15 13:57:56

As well as using OPKs track your cervical mucus- which yes, means sticking your fingers in your fanny and taking a look (don't rely on what's on your knickers). It's very reliable. I never got an positive OPK but my cervical mucus would tell me when I ovulated and I got a BFP quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now