Trying to get pregnant for 1 year+

(20 Posts)
Wantingtobeamum96 Mon 27-Jul-15 11:01:38

Hello me and my partner have been trying to get pregnant for well over a year now and had no luck and my doctor did refer me to the Fertility clinic and I got a letter a couple of days ago and it said they have Refused my application as I don't fit in the age guide line as I'm 19 but I think when you are ready you should be able to get help that's why I thought I would join this group as my be I could have help hope you guys can help I've also had the fertility and ovulation test done I also use an app which help me work out when I'm ovulating smile x

dizzylemon Mon 27-Jul-15 12:20:40

Weirdness Surely the younger you are, the more successful treatment is likely to be surely? hmm

Any chance you could get some kind of treatment or testing from your GP? My DH could get his sperm tested just by asking, and I had various proddings for PCOS prior to being reffered to a FC.

I have to wonder how they justify it. Age is not a marker of responsibility levels. I was pretty daft when I was 19 but not all my peers were grin

lilwelshyrs Mon 27-Jul-15 12:28:44

Speak to your GP as to why you could have been refused.
Just speculating here but each area has a specified amount of money to spend on various NHS things such as fertility treatment. My area, for example, will only treat couples for infertility if neither partner has had a child before. But an area about an hour away from me doesn't have that in place and will treat all couples who are struggling with conceiving.
Perhaps the guidelines in your area state that you have to have been off the pill and trying for a minimum amount of time before qualifying for any testing.
I didnt get my PCOS scan until DH and I had been trying for well over a year - maybe 2 years - and I also had always suffered from a very irregular cycle.

So definitely ask your GP why you've been refused testing at this time. But also remember that you have time on your side smile so don't panic. I'm 28 and had been trying since I was 24 - knowing that I had time on my side smile

Hope that helps xx

Wantingtobeamum96 Mon 27-Jul-15 13:47:36

Both of u thank u so much I agree age is not a maker of responsibility levels and uv had blood tests for ovulation and fertility they come no good and yh I'm seeing my gp on Friday this week so can't wait to get some hopefully positive news as I have heard about the fertility gel and read all the reviews and really great reviews I will attach photos of the products thank u for taking ur time to day to reply very much appreciate it hope u all well and good luck

Wantingtobeamum96 Mon 27-Jul-15 13:49:39

I mean my results come bk good sorry just notices my spelling x

lilwelshyrs Mon 27-Jul-15 13:51:48

If you're ovulating, then dont go buying all the products! There's no need to waste your money.
As someone once said to me "you can't rush a rainbow".
You have plenty of time! Don't wish it all away xx

Wantingtobeamum96 Mon 27-Jul-15 14:04:02

Aww thank u Hunsmile x

dizzylemon Mon 27-Jul-15 14:05:31

The cost of fertility aids can really build up. If cost is not an issue then give it a whirl - there is no harm in it!

I've found that OPKS (ovulation predictor kits) are possibly the biggest waste of money. I have wonky hormones PCOS which could be why they don't work for me, but they don't really tell you that much anyway - just that maybe your hormones are gearing up to ovulate and not if it actually happened or not.

I use 'Glow' to track my cycles - I think it's useful to have a bit of a record to how you're feeling and when they are and it offers advice on most fertile times. I've heard other people rate Ovia as well.

RooibosTeaAgain Mon 27-Jul-15 14:43:49

Did your gp do the day 2/21 blood tests, a semen analysis for partner and did they show any issues?
NHS fertility treatment is for those aged 23 and older but you could:
Pay for a private referral to a fertility clinic iif you think there may be a physical reason y not conceiving or for more tests and if you wish to pay for private treatment
Use an app to track when fertile or use OPK's and see if you get positives
Ask gp of gp done all basic tests ( cannot get more if clinic not accept you )

Wantingtobeamum96 Mon 27-Jul-15 15:06:26

If had all the basic test I'm good but my partners sperm is not that good as he takes antidepressants and antipsychotic so have no idea if this is effecting it so can't wait to see I'm gp on Friday to get some news smile thank u for all ur advice very much appreciate smile <3 x

RooibosTeaAgain Mon 27-Jul-15 16:50:20

The NHS usually want to test semen twice ( we had to have 2 analysis done before could get referral to fertility clinic) so may be worth asking for a second semen analysis. And make sure he does all the right things to improve sperm - no alcohol/smokin/correct BMI etc etc.

Wantingtobeamum96 Mon 27-Jul-15 17:13:51

We have has the second one does that came back and it ok and we have been eating better and he smokes but I no loads of people who get pregnant when there parents are smoking thank u so much for ur time to reply x very much appreciate it.

RooibosTeaAgain Mon 27-Jul-15 17:37:20

Is he prepared to stop smoking. NHS where I live will not fund fertility treatments if one partner smokes ( they test it here as well). It may help?

Wantingtobeamum96 Mon 27-Jul-15 17:53:41

Ummm he did tried to quit but he can't so I put up lol and thank u so much smile x

MagpieCursedTea Mon 27-Jul-15 18:06:51

Smoking can negatively impact on fertility, yes some people will still get pregnant but if you're struggling to conceive then it's something worth considering. I know you can't force someone to quit but you can present them with the facts.
Best of luck.

Wantingtobeamum96 Mon 27-Jul-15 18:54:37

Ok will do I will talk to him tonight see what he says thank u for the advicesmile x

MrsPCR Mon 27-Jul-15 21:52:19

Try taking your BBT temperature to confirm that you are ovulating. OPKs are good for giving you a heads up when to ensure you dtd but temping will confirm it.

UrethraFranklin1 Mon 27-Jul-15 21:56:10

Tbh, it doesn't sound like you fit any protocols for free fertility treatment. Not only are you very young, your partner smokes and takes serious medication.
You can access private fertility treatment if you choose to.

dizzylemon Tue 28-Jul-15 07:36:07

Tbf I think the rules on who qualifies for what and why is decided per NHS trust, so it might be possible that if you lived elsewhere you might qualify though I don't think it's helpful to speculate who does and doesn't get to do it and what the criteria is because unless you work in that area, your not likely to really know 100%.

The qualifying for a FC appointment is a moot point anyway as you've already been turned down for reasons of age. Try not to dwell on that.

Wantingtobeamum96 Tue 28-Jul-15 22:24:39

Awww thank u so much really appreciate it and still trying as seeing my gp Friday so going to talk to her about it thank u guys so much xx ��

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now