Coming off Cerazette/Cerelle to TTC!

(14 Posts)
Morwenna1 Sun 21-Jun-15 17:05:22

Hello everyone, I'm a complete newbie here but I thought I should sign up to Mumsnet to chart progress and get some general advice now myself and husband are TTC no.1!

(BTW - I haven't learned all the acronyms yet, so I may have to ask what things mean!)

I've been off the pill for 10 days now, I've been taking Cerazette for the last 6.5 years so it's going to be interesting to see how my body copes! Whenever I've missed a day (through forgetfulness or circumstances) before, I have had AF (got that acronym!) straight away. Nothing so far this time apart from extreme bloating and tiredness (but that could be work).

I had no idea about the 'horror stories' of coming off Cerazette until I started reading on the forums, so lets see what happens...I've had no problems taking it, but my periods have completely stopped.

I've read conflicting advice saying you should wait until your cycle resumes 'normality' before trying, and some sources, (including my nurse) said get on the folic acid and you can start trying straight away..anyone got any experiences to share on this? Looking forward to hearing from you!

Oysterbabe Sun 21-Jun-15 17:43:55

The only negative side effect I had coming off it was dizziness. I'd didn't start for a few weeks but once or did it I had dizzy spells regularly for about a month. Start taking folic acid now. It might be worth waiting until a bleed just to make dating the pregnancy easier. You won't know when AF is late and when to test if not.
Good luck!

Oysterbabe Sun 21-Jun-15 17:45:15

Sorry about the typos, my phone is so rubbish. You get what I mean smile

Number3cometome Sun 21-Jun-15 17:58:01

Coming off cerazette can pretty quickly give you lots of symptoms of being pregnant. I found that I had sore breasts, felt a bit sick and moody, and very tearful! Also had lots of spots. After about 6 weeks I had my first period, then another 28 days later (which was rare for me!)

I stopped in July and had a positive pregnancy test in November, so just 3 cycles. I was on Cerazette for 7 years.

Currently 36 weeks pregnant grin

Morwenna1 Sun 21-Jun-15 18:11:51

I have started on the folic and multivits Oysterbabe Trying to remember to take them with meals (forgetting) and then taking them at the same time I used to take the pill! I will be waiting until AF puts in an appearance...as you say I won't know where I am otherwise. I had somewhat irregular periods before I took the pill, so I've started a spreadsheet to try and map things. I figure I can at least control the spreadsheet entries if nothing else!wink

Morwenna1 Sun 21-Jun-15 18:14:10

Number3 That's good news it only took 3 cycles! And you were on C for only a little longer than me.

Mood swings haven't kicked in yet! wink Poor DH..

Morwenna1 Sun 21-Jun-15 18:17:58

Thanks for replying btw! Much appreciated smile

Jellybean100 Sun 21-Jun-15 19:40:09

I've also been off cerazette for 11 days. I've had horrendous bloating and last two days have felt a bit nauseous and tearful. Otherwise no other symptoms!

MrsPCR Sun 21-Jun-15 21:08:01

Don't recall any symptoms coming off of cerelle but had withdrawal bleed about 2 days after stopping the. First cycle before real AF was 33 days. I have since has 3 28 day cycles. I think I might have been very lucky to get back into normal cycles so quickly, but I don't think cerelle is as strong or screwy for your body as its POP rather than combined. Good luck and fingers crossed!

Morwenna1 Sun 21-Jun-15 22:27:41

Bloating is awful! Jellybean100 Need bigger trousers!

Thanks for your account MrsPCR, I was surprised to hear that many women found it difficult to conceive coming off it as you say it's POP..you'd think that would make things easier?! Hmm.

Jellybean100 Sun 21-Jun-15 23:06:26

Morwenna, I searched MN the other day and found an old thread about cerazette with lots of people stating they actually conceived very quickly after coming off, but a Google search says differently! I guess it's different for everybody

Number3cometome Mon 22-Jun-15 09:22:23

Before I was On cerazette it took me
over and year and nearly 4 years to conceive - I actually think it helped me!

Nicolalmartin Fri 07-Oct-16 16:58:40

Ive just stopped cerelle 5 days ok and me and my partner r trying for a baby , but im not sure when im going start my period and concieveing will take its time and i will get pregnant when its ready to happen , but in coming out in spots and feeling blotted and akeing all over is this normal

WantingBaby1 Sat 08-Oct-16 20:11:00

I came out in spots and felt really bloated after coming off cerelle. 5 wks later AF arrived. Good luck ladies smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now