What happens with a miscarriage (sensitive)

(22 Posts)
SweetCharlotteRose Tue 09-Jun-15 18:56:57

I'm 5+2 but certain I'm going to miscarry as my clearblue digital indicator is stuck at 2-3 weeks. I know rarely it can mean nothing but most people with this issue miscarry. I can feel there's something wrong anyway. We've waited three years for this pregnancy and had three failed rounds of treatment. This is a natural pregnancy (bizarre) but it has never felt right. I felt a fraud telling a friend that I was pregnant because I strongly suspect nothing ever developed.

Anyway my hcg levels are being checked tomorrow and when they're low will they give me something to kick start the miscarriage? I know sometimes it can take a while for the body to recognise it and you don't miscarry for a few weeks.

What will happen? Will I need to take any time off work or can I just keep going? I want to pretend it never happened tbh.

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2013/09/11/test-miscarriage-risk

Here is a link to the clearblue test.

AHotDenseState Tue 09-Jun-15 19:08:05

Bless you and big hugs.

Sounds very like me four weeks ago. I saw the so I as I'd had a previous miscarriage.

Clearlblue never progressed and bloods didn't show enough increase in high. They gave me a couple of scans but basically had too wait and see - they said it might just be to early in pregnancy but I was sure of my dates (7 weeks) so pretty much knew I would miscarry.

From a practical point of view be prepared for no quick answer and perhaps more bloods and scan . I told a couple of trustworthy people at work so when I started to bleed heavily I made a quick exit.

They didn't give me anything as I'd already started spotting. I'm sure others Will be on with more experience than me.

I had a couple of daysoff work as I was just exhausted physically and mentally. Lots of hormonesr. Four weeks on we're all fine but still teary.

There's a great mn thread on the miscarriage board that covers all the practical side. I found it very helpful as having all that side under control left me more able to cope with the emotional side.

It's one of thosesituations that's really hard to predict how you well react. Just go with whatever feels best.

X

sizethree Tue 09-Jun-15 19:08:26

Hi charlotterose, the Clearblue digital tests are notorious for false readings. Also, they indicate how many weeks you are from your conception date, not the date of your last menstrual oeriod. So if you're 5+2 weeks since the first day of your last cycle, then the Clearblue test is in fact accurate.
I know how terrifying early pregnancy can be (I suffer recurrent miscarriage) and you've really had a tiugh and tiring kourney. But at this stage there's no reason for you to think the worst.
You said uoure getting your HCG levels taken tomorrow, then you'll have to go back for a repeat test a couple of days later, to check they are rising (they are supposed to double every 72 hours or do from what I remember). But again this can vary a lot.
Unless you have red blood and cramping, there's no indication that anything is going wrong.
Please try to stay calm and positive and hopefully you'll get done reassurance over the next few days.

SweetCharlotteRose Tue 09-Jun-15 19:12:49

It's definitely more than 3 weeks since I conceived. I ovulated three weeks ago last Sunday.
I know anyway. I can't explain it but I know.

SweetCharlotteRose Tue 09-Jun-15 19:13:37

Sorry to hear your news Hot.
I will look at the miscarriage thread

WinterOfOurDiscountTents15 Tue 09-Jun-15 19:19:12

They are only meant to be a rough guide, they are a very blunt tool. And if you are 5plus2 you are 3plus2 since conception, so its roughly correct anyway. Even if you think you know exactly when you ovulated you still can't date conception to the exact day, so you may well be a bit out.

From the clearblue bumpf:

<<<This test contains a 'Weeks Estimator.' The 'Weeks Estimator' is meant solely as an estimate for the consumer and is not intended as a substitute for a doctor's clinical diagnosis. The 'Weeks Estimator' is not intended for multiple pregnancies. The estimate provided by the device may be inaccurate in these cases.

This test cannot be used to determine the duration of pregnancy or to monitor the progression of pregnancy. Your doctor determines how many weeks pregnant you are based on the first day of your last menstrual period and ultrasound results. This test provides a different estimate that cannot be substituted for a doctor's determination of gestational age. Only your doctor can provide a reliable estimate of gestational age and only your doctor can monitor pregnancy progression. You should seek qualified prenatal care if you suspect you are pregnant">>>>

Yes, it is possibly you will miscarry, at 5 weeks up to 30% of pregnancies fail. But this test is really not a good indicator of that at all. Go see the dr, and get 2 bcg levels 48 hours apart. Then see where you are.

Best of luck.

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Tue 09-Jun-15 19:29:40

Hi OP, I've read a couple of your threads. I'm sorry you're feeling so worried. As you know, the conception indicator isn't really accurate but I know that won't be reassuring you right now.

They will need to do two tests a few days apart to confirm if the pregnancy isn't viable. If they confirm that, I doing they will give you anything to speed it along- it's not likely they will want you to wait for it to happen naturally. Although this might seem like a terrible possibility because it prolongs it, it really is better this way.

As for whether you should take time off etc, that's entirely up to you. My mc was at 11 weeks and was a very gruelling labour-like experience. I couldn't have gone through it at work. Friends who have had earlier moses describe it more like a heavy period.
The good news is if your hcg is already low, your body will recognise it as a lot very quickly and it will hopefully be over quickly.

Do try and keep an open mind though. After everything you have been through to conceive, it's understandable that you would be nervous about it working out. Nothing about your situation clearly indicates that this pregnancy won't work out. Of course you may be absolutely right, but just keep an open mind for now.

AuditAngel Tue 09-Jun-15 19:46:24

Hi OP, sorry you are going through this. I had a MMC about 9 years ago. Initially I was suffering from bleeding and was referred to the early pregnancy unit. I was given an internal scan (not as unpleasant as it sounds). No heartbeat was detected, although the dates I had given didn't match the size, the size measured wouldn't have had a heartbeat. I had to return a week later for another scan.

At the second internal scan a heart beat was detected, and I was told my dates were wrong.

Unfortunately at my dating scan, no heart beat was present.

SweetCharlotteRose Tue 09-Jun-15 19:51:02

That's awful Angel.
It's all so sad. For me getting a positive pregnancy test was a huge stumbling block, heaven knows how long it will take to get another (if ever).
I really wish a positive pregnancy test meant a very high chance of a baby but it doesn't does it? It's just the first stumbling block in a long line of stumbling blocks.

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Tue 09-Jun-15 19:54:05

It can be. But I definitely think you're more anxious because of the journey you have had to get here.
More positive pregnancy tests result in babies. About 80% I think.
A mc or mmc is a horrible heartbreaking thing. Unfortunately it is common and normal. But it's not a majority.
Sending strength to you. thanks

SweetCharlotteRose Tue 09-Jun-15 20:04:44

Thank you Guy. I feel so alone. I've only told one or two people who I work with because I had to. Dh is still merrily thinking it's fine. He think the cb indicator is bollocks. I don't like to tell him it's 96.8% accurate after the 3+ mark.

I suppose I will have the blood tests and let nature take it's course then. I just want it gone, I feel like there's something that shouldn't be there inside me.
Dh is going to be devastated. I've never seen him so happy as when we found out. He bounced around the house in joy and my body's let us down again. I felt I withstood the fertility treatment ok, didn't have any support or counselling, told no one. But this, this is different. How does anyone get over this?

SweetCharlotteRose Tue 09-Jun-15 20:06:11

It's typical that I am in the 20% of people who miscarry but not in the 30% (each cycle) who ivf works for. For once the odds were in our favour. I know I'm not the only one this has happened to, I know lots of people have a really really tough time but I just feel so sad.

sizethree Tue 09-Jun-15 21:09:57

Please try and keep an open mind until your HCG tests are back. Miscarriage is a truly heartbreaking experience, but don't claim this pain until you know for sure what is happening. You're torturing yourself with no real evidence. There's time to grieve and heal if the worst does happen, but for now try and think of both outcomes, good and bad, so you're best prepared for news later in the week.

WinterOfOurDiscountTents15 Tue 09-Jun-15 21:22:19

Look I know you're very anxious and I understand why, but I'm going to be blunt for a moment: you have decided you will miscarry on absolutely no evidence at all. You have no reason to think this. Throw the test in the bin, it can't be interpreted in this way, and this level of stress is not good for you.
I've had a lot of m/c. As it stands you have not and may not. This is not a club you throw yourself into before you have to.
Again, good luck.

Mumoftwoyoungkids Tue 09-Jun-15 22:00:46

My experiences:-

Pregnancy 1 - tested at (what I now know was) 4+6. It said 1 - 2. Tested rather a lot for the next few weeks. It was several days (so I would have been well over 5 weeks) before it got to 2 - 3.

Pregnancy is now a beautiful, brilliant 5 year old girl who is doing great in reception.

Pregnancy 2 - started bleeding at 5+3. Had an internal scan at 5+6. No heartbeat. Told that I'd probably miscarried but it wasn't confirmed the foetus wasn't quite big enough to definitely count as a miscarriage. Some (highly misadvised) googling showed that the odds of a successful pregnancy was less than 1 in 100.

Two weeks of grieving later they found a heartbeat. I spent the pregnancy in a state of utter terror and misery as I had written off the pregnancy mentally and was just waiting for it to go wrong.

And then the most beautiful, healthy baby boy was born. He's now a wonderful, cheeky, lovely, naughty little 2 year old monkey. I really wish I had let myself enjoy my pregnancy.

Please don't write yours off just yet. It really isn't over until a doctor says it is definitely over.

eurochick Wed 10-Jun-15 01:08:34

I agree with winter. I know how terrifying it is. It took us three years and four rounds of ivf (including and ivf miscarriage) to get a viable pregnancy. I never believed I would end up with a live baby. I never bonded with my bump. Infertility does horrible things. Please don't write off your pregnancy. You really gave no basis to do so. If you google hcg levels you will see there is an enormous variety of normal. The clear blue tests can't possibly account for all that variety. As another poster said, they are a very blunt instrument.

AlpacaMyBags Wed 10-Jun-15 01:12:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

So sorry you're going through this OP.

I've never had miscarriage but just wanted to say I'm 18 weeks pregnant with healthy baby (touch wood!!) and the clear blue digi never ever ever went past 2-3 for me

If you're sure then I'm really sorry, but maybe hold out a little bit of hope.

flowers

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Wed 10-Jun-15 06:20:46

And to give another perspective for the digi, I have a pregnancy where they went up exactly as they should... and I still had a mc.
Ignore the digi. Assuming this pregnancy continues, I would consider seeing the gp foot your anxiety. You are likely to be reassured for about five minutes by a hcg test out a scan and then you will immediately panic again even if there is nothing to suggest anything has gone wrong.

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Wed 10-Jun-15 06:29:32

Sorry, that sounded a bit patronising. I say that about not feeling reassured because that is how I felt when pregnant after having a mc.

VixxFace Wed 10-Jun-15 06:31:55

2-3 weeks is the max that clear blue goes. It us not accurate so whether you're 5 weeks or 8 it will say 2-3 weeks plus

SaltySeaBird Wed 10-Jun-15 06:42:50

Another one saying ignore the CB.

I've had infertility treatment, Ive spent 5 years of my life TTC and have had two miscarriages and have one amazing miracle DD.

My last MC the CB moved to 3+ weeks and I had two scans where I saw a heartbeat.

With DD the CB stayed at 2-3. I spent my whole pregnancy terrified, refusing to buy things, convinced it would go wrong. Ended up having to go into town to buy essentials on the way home from hospital with her!

MC is heartbreaking. You haven't had one yet so don't put yourself through it until you have to.

Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now