Being sent for day 21 blood tests, and I'm confused....?

(3 Posts)
Louloubelle79 Mon 08-Jun-15 08:37:57

We've been ttc for ten months and the doc has agreed to send me for blood tests to check my lh/fsh/progesterone levels. (Hubby is also off to get his swimmers checked). But the thing is, my period never really starts properly on day one. Does anyone else have this?

I usually have a bit of brown spotting for a couple of days before my bleed. Not enough for a tampon, but enough to use a liner. The spotting can even go away for a day or so before my period starts "properly" and then I switch to tampons. Some months I can be using liners/tampons for 10 days before I'm back to no bleeding.

My question is, do I go for the blood test on day 21 after the spotting starts, or do I go on day 21 after the full flow starts? Does the spotting count as the start of my period?

I want to make sure I go on the right day so that my results are accurate.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me x x

yetmoresex Mon 08-Jun-15 11:48:09

Day one is always counted as the first day of full flow. Hope that helps!

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 08-Jun-15 12:30:03

LH and FSH levels need to be tested far earlier in the cycle as these kickstart the ovulation process; the normal cycle day for those two levels to be tested (and importantly compared against each other) is on day 2.

Progesterone is usually tested around day 21.

You need to go for your day 21 blood test 21 days after the full flow starts.
More often than not blood tests (and semen analysis) should be repeated.

Spotting between periods should always be further checked out to ascertain the underlying cause; often its not serious but it should always be investigated.

GP should now refer you as a couple to a subfertility unit as well, this is really an issue outside a GPs general remit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now