Vegetarian, hypothyroid and stressed - help!

(6 Posts)
TailorMouse Thu 14-May-15 15:50:42

Recently started ttc but am overthinking it and putting pressure on myself - think a major thing is i've heard so many negative things about being hypothyroid and conceiving or carrying a baby, coupled with being a non-egg eating vegetarian and having a stressful job.
Can anyone suggest any tips or magic pills to help calm me down or at least offer a chance of boosting our chances?
(i'm very aware that stressing about it will not help but it's a vicious circle of thinking not to stress, then stressing because you are then stressing because you're trying not to sad )

janey15 Thu 14-May-15 17:32:08

Sorry you're feeling down. Have you spoken to your dr about thyroid and ttc/pregnancy? They might help put your mind at rest.
Ttc is stressful regardless and having a complication does not help. I have endo, am also vegetarian and we're on cycle 3. I felt really stressed the first month but more relaxed since. I'm still finding it hard and was really upset by AF last month despite assuming it'd be ok.
I'm sorry I don't have any advice but you're not alone. Oh, except step away from google!

TailorMouse Fri 15-May-15 09:28:38

Hi Janey - thank you for the reply.
Spoken with my doctor but apparently it's nothing to worry about and only to contact them when I am actually pregnant (to be honest I don't think they knew that much or cared about it but left me feeling pushy and paranoid).
I'm stepping away from google as well - and have all fingers crossed for you for this month!
Have you changed your diet or anything since starting ttc?

ItsADinosaur Fri 15-May-15 15:37:34

If you're hypo your TSH needs to be below 2.5 to conceive at least. If not below 2. My endocrinologist wanted mine below 2, have you had bloods taken recently?

It's important to keep an eye on your levels if you get pregnant as your TSH needs to be low. Generally your thyroxine needs to be increased too. I had a mc so mine was increased as soon as I got pregnant again. Look up the NICE guideline on hypothyroidism and pregnancy. Some GPs don't take it seriously. The only other thing I did was to take folic acid.

ItsADinosaur Fri 15-May-15 15:38:31

Oh I've never changed my diet. Infact with my first I was on holiday and drinking and eating everything before I found out! blush

TailorMouse Wed 20-May-15 09:56:04

I've not had a blood test for a while - think last time was about 9 months ago? I'm not really super clued up - what is the TSH? There are 2 levels I need to keep an eye on aren't there a T3 or 4?
I've started folic acid and upping my iron intake as well and cut down on salt/sugar...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now