Considering TTC...coming off the pill!!

(9 Posts)
Amy2711 Fri 22-Aug-14 19:04:42

Hi Ladies

Newbie here. Me and the other half have decided to take the plunge! I just wondered if someone could offer some advice / your experiences on coming off the pill and how long it can take to conceive.

I've got 4 days left of my pack (combined pill) so would get my withdrawal bleed next Friday. My dilemma is - do I stop after the last one or start a new pack after this one then come off? We have a holiday 1st week in October and although I'm keen to start trying, I still want to be able to have a drink on my holiday. So, I know everyone is different but how long did it take after coming off the pill to a) have a normal period and b) become pregnant? I'm in no immediate rush but at the same time I worry that it might take a while for me to get pregnant and ideally I'd like a normal cycle to know when I ovulate and time it properly. Sorry for the long explanation. Any advice anyone?

Thanks sooooo much in advance! xx

LilyMyOneAndOnly Fri 22-Aug-14 20:53:04

Hi Amy

No advice as such, but I'm thinking of very similar timings to you. My husband and I have decided that we are going to start TTC our first in January next year.. I was going to come off the pill this month to let my cycle get back to normal, but we have a holiday booked in September so I've decided to keep taking it until we get back. Don't wan't to run the risk of getting my period/extended withdrawal bleed during the holiday!! Although I know that one more month won't make much difference I do feel very impatient and want to stop taking it now that we have made the decision!! Last time I came off the pill was about 8 years ago but my cycles went back to normal very quickly (from what I can remember!!)

It's all very exciting huh?! Good luck to you and your other half!! smile

chickadee87 Sat 23-Aug-14 08:36:43

I've just come off the pill after my holiday in July and I've had 1 withdrawal bleed and 1 period that lasted 9 days in all hmm exactly 28 days later. So I'm hoping that my cycles have returned to normal immediately, but from reading other posts other ladies have been really irregular! Only you can decide! I'm hoping to become pregnant by December but I think I'm being over optimistic. Good luck and enjoy your holiday! X

bettybyebye Sat 23-Aug-14 10:16:52

I too came off the pill after my holiday in July and since then have had one withdrawal bleed and nothing else. We started trying straight away but I have no idea where in my cycle I am as it seems to be all over the place. Annoying as when I last came off the pill a couple of years ago my cycle came back straight away.

I now wish that I'd stopped the pill earlier and we'd just used condoms until we were ready to try. So if I were you I'd stop the pill now, have a couple of months for your cycle to sort itself out then start trying after your holiday

Rainbow90 Sat 23-Aug-14 10:48:14

Ok, im very new to this so im sorry in advance lol. Ok well me and my partner have been ttc for nearly 4 years. This month has been a little strange for me. I was due on my period tomorrow the 24th, but since last week my breasts have been hurting and feeling more full,
i have been having cramping for nearly a week (usualy i get cramps for one whole day before i am due to come on). Then on Tuesday i had only one drop of blood,
and on Wednesday i had to change my pad twice due to bleeding (red and brown)
Thursday didnt fill a pad just a little and Nothing since then. I am very confused, is this just a one of period that has came early an lighter than usual for a change or could i possibly be pregnant? I dont drink i am not on drugs or medication, i am under no stress, and im healthy. please help me shed some light on this i feel like im going crazy!

Amy2711 Sun 24-Aug-14 21:32:57

Thanks everyone who has replied. Still not sure what to do but erring on the side of do next pack of 21 day pills as normal n properly start ttc at end September. Rainbow90 not sure what to advise except do a test and see! I know breast soreness, bleeds etc can be down to emotional or hormonal changes as well as pregnancy. Good luck!xx

Lovebugs2014 Mon 25-Aug-14 07:47:10

Hi all, I'm interested to know how you get on after finishing your BC as I'm going yo finish my mini pill at the end of sept in the hope of something happening in the two ovulation cycles in October but think that may be wishful thinking as I'm not sure what's going to happen with withdrawal bleeding, getting a normal period back etc! It's exciting to be at this stage but I know I can be impatient so hoping it doesn't take too long and I'm 31 now and would like a big family! Fingers crossed for you all xx

Lovebugs2014 Mon 25-Aug-14 07:50:15

Rainbow90 sounds like you should take a test to see what's going on as those symptoms may well be pregnancy. Lots of my friends said they had implantation bleeds or early spotting so you just never know until a test confirms it! Good luck, let us know how you get on xx

littlem1987 Tue 26-Aug-14 15:12:38

bettybyebye I'm in the same camp as you!
I stopped taking my pill in the middle of June at the end of a pack, had my WB as normal and have absolutely nothing since then.
We are not actively trying, just trying to see what happens as we didn't want to put pressure on ourselves but as have no AF I have taken a few tests and they all come back BFN
It is so frustrating just not knowing whats going on with my body, I have never felt so out of control and am convinced if getting no periods then not ovulating either. Despite taking the big step towards TTC it feels like our little bean is further away than when I was taking the pill
So frustrating.
Have you booked in to speak with a GP or anything?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now