Has anyone else had 'period' pains but still been pregnant?

(11 Posts)
NutcrackerFairy Tue 03-Jun-14 11:18:53

Just feeling fed up and despondent sad

Had a MMC at 12 weeks in September last year, picked up at 12 week scan.

Think I got myself through that by imagining myself pregnant again very soon... had fallen pregnant a month from starting TTC with MMC.

However here we are nearly 9 months later... and nothing. DTD at ovulation [checked with OPK], but then a day or so later starting getting PMT symptoms - feeling headachey, irritable, period cramps, dragging feeling in lower abdomen and upper thighs.

Now I know that some women experience this and can be pregnant. However my experience over the past few cycles is that I seem to get PMT symptoms just following ovulation and then get period as normal 2 weeks or so later.

This has only been happening for the past 6 months or so. Previous to that I would get PMT symptoms a day or so before my period arriving, not two bloody weeks!!!

Actually I had what I thought was period pains a day or so before my period was due when I was actually pregnant with DS1... so I do know it can happen...

Just need a bit of cheering up. I have to say I am pretty sure that I am experiencing PMT and period will arrive on schedule... but I perhaps just want to hold onto to the hope that I am pregnant a little bit longer.

Does anyone have any experience of this... and ended up being pregnant... and carried to full term?

NutcrackerFairy Tue 03-Jun-14 11:21:01

Oh and I am 40 by the way... with a very low AMH.

So another pregnancy is just feeling more and more unlikely sad

hanflan Tue 03-Jun-14 13:02:03

Not much advice here but didn't want to read and run. So sorry about your MMC, that must be heartbreaking to go through, especially at the first scan.
Apparently the symtoms caused by progesterone in a normal luteal phase are really similar to early pregnancy symptoms so it's really hard to tell. I also had twinges and cramps last month but then AF arrived sad

I hope you get your bfp soon!

ladyflower23 Tue 03-Jun-14 14:23:46

Hi Nutcracker, I am very sorry to hear of your MMC, that really must have been devastating. I never used to get PMS, but since coming off pill to start TTC #2 have been getting it really quite bad from a few days following ovulation, so having it for 1.5 weeks before af starts. Have not got pregnant since being like this, so know nothing for certain, but would assume that if start getting PMS soon after ov like we do, that it is starting before an egg would have time to implant and body would 'know' it is pregnant, so I am guessing if you were pregnant, you would still get PMS. It's very difficult that the symptoms of both are so similar, makes the wait even harder. Wishing you lots of luck for a BFP soon x

Sighing Tue 03-Jun-14 14:31:37

Symptoms straight after ovulation (if definitely not OV pains) would probably be from the progesterone released after OV. I get a real mood crash on that day and then again before AF. But .... I also got very moody at start of pregnancies. Maybe progesterone makes me feel that way. Maybe I'm miserable ;-)

NutcrackerFairy Tue 03-Jun-14 15:12:09

Thanks everyone.

It's nice to know that I am not alone in the craziness of TTC.

The problem is that every woman's symptoms and baseline 'normal' is different. And each pregnancy is different. So what can be normal for one pregnancy [or early pregnancy symptoms] is not for another... even with the same woman!

It's just so darn confusing and infuriating.

1moretime Tue 03-Jun-14 17:35:51

Bless you hun. So sorry for your loss sad
Fingers crossed for you xxx

CoffeeOne Wed 04-Jun-14 22:38:50

I had period style cramps pretty much all the way through my pregnancy. I was so convinced my period was coming early due to the pains when I got my bfp. Best of luck to you x

I really hope it works out for you soon Nutcracker. I had period pains for the whole of my first pregnancy, it felt just like I was getting my period.

Poycastle Sat 07-Jun-14 12:55:31

I had cramps from 4 to 8 weeks of my pregnancy, no symptoms before.
I was taking a million medicines as it was IVF, so it may be a bit different.
So sorry for your loss x

NutcrackerFairy Sat 07-Jun-14 19:25:37

Thanks again to the recent posters.

I am now 9 days post ovulation and still getting on/off period cramping, white discharge [tmi, sorry!], mild back ache and thigh pain.

What is maddening is that these can all be early pregnancy symptoms... but also can be precursor to AF too...

In my recent experience these have all meant AF is on it's way, but I can't help hoping that it might mean conception...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now