TTC First Time - Anyone else?

(500 Posts)
HippyStar Wed 30-Apr-14 13:47:38

My husband and I are TTC! I have been off the pill for a month now and have started taking folic acid and calcium with vit D to ensure if anything does happen I'm as healthy as possible. Limiting caffeine and alcohol but not cutting it out completely as you never know how long it will take! All my friends have just fallen pregnant really easily, but I have a feeling this will not be the case for me. I can't remember when my last period was either which is annoying as will need to wait for the next one before I can chart etc. hmm Is anyone else out there TTC now? We could all share our stories and encourage each other! smile

Katybear123 Wed 30-Apr-14 22:30:43

Hi hippystar we are about to start trying. Have 9 days left in my pill packet and then that's it were off! Is it stressful trying, or are you enjoying they fun :-)

greenwolf Wed 30-Apr-14 22:49:01

Hello HippyStar and Katybear123. My husband and I have been dithering for ages about 'unleashing' a baby. I came off the pill over a year ago, and we used condoms, but secretly hoped for an accident as I think we're a bit cowardly and indecisive to be honest! But recently we've become more careless in the contraceptive department. Not that hot on the charting thing although I use an online period tracker which also has an ovulation calendar, which broadly seems to fit with when I feel I'm ovulating - I get a slight pain. I recently lost a lot of weight, although put some back on over winter, so trying to eat and drink healthily and lose a few more lbs before pregnancy. And I've been taking folic acid too. I know what you mean about feeling like it won't happen easily, especially when you see friends and family around you get pregnant almost immediately.

NewlymrsB Thu 01-May-14 08:50:21

This is my 4th cycle trying to conceive. It's a roller coaster of emotions! Good luck to you, I hope it doesn't take too long for u, it's the waiting to find out every month that's so hard!

greenwolf Thu 01-May-14 13:12:46

Hello NewlymrsB - good luck - anyone think 1st May is a good time to be TTC? Ye Olde celebration of fertility and all that?

NewlymrsB Thu 01-May-14 16:08:54

Thank u waiting for AF to show now and praying she won't!
I hope may is lucky!!

DurhamRed Thu 01-May-14 19:12:45

Hi all,

Me and my partner are TTC for our first baby and this is the first cycle. We are currently in the 2ww (AF due a week today) and the wait to test is a nightmare!

NewlymrsB Thu 01-May-14 22:04:50

Haha oh yes the horrible 2 week wait!!!

LadyGlitterBug Fri 02-May-14 09:17:57

Hi All,

Me and my parter are getting married on 21st, so we thought we'd make this month the first month of trying! currently following the SMEP plan, but not taking BBT or CM. Am taking pregnacare conception and h2b is taking Centrum Men and banned from alcohol!

Not sure how i can manage TTC for long, i'm going crazy already and its all i think about!

Good luck everyone!

NurseyJay Fri 02-May-14 11:22:41

Hiya. Me and DH are a little ahead of u. I stopped taking the pill last Sept, but we used condoms until this Feb as we had a skiing holiday booked, and I didn't want to be pregnant for it (for obvious reasons)... Feb was sort of an unofficial month of ttc. It was the month we went skiing, and we had u protected sex about a week before we went and then thought, well we've done it now we may as well continue... So far no luck. We're on official cycle number 3. This month I feel a lot more chilled out about ttc smile Lol.

A bit of info about me and DH. I'm 29, he's 30. Neither of us has created a pregnancy. I'm taking Sanatogen Mum-To-Be and am only drinking alcohol until I ovulate, and not between ovulation and AF (just in case). DH on the other hand doesn't drink much alcohol. I'm currently waiting to see an endocrinologist as my GP thinks I may have Diabetes Insipidus (which is probably where my mind is, rather than ttc)....

DurhamRed Fri 02-May-14 18:02:54

LadyGlitterBug - I know exactly how you feel. I thought I would be quite relaxed about TTC but to be honest I think I've turned into some kind of crazy woman!! It's the 2ww that is driving me insane!! :-)

Gemerama Fri 02-May-14 18:20:04

Hi everyone,

Got married in October and we'd have liked to start ttc then, but had a long haul holiday booked in March so decided to wait until after that. Started ttc on holiday last month, but no luck.

Now onto cycle 2, cd13 and been dtd every day since the weekend. Doesn't come naturally to us to be shagging all the time, as we are more 2 or 3 times a month kind of people but we desperately want to start our family. So for us it really is a case of having to make a conscious effort.

I hoped it'd happen really quickly for me as my mother fell pregnant in the first month with both me and my brother. Now because I haven't gotten pregnant in the first month I have a voice in the back if my head telling me there is some kind of problem with one of us. Completely ridiculous and over the top I know!

Durham and Glitterbug, likewise I thought I'd be pretty chilled out about it and it'd just happen within a few months and that would all be cool. Turns out not so much!! It is pretty much all I think about and I keep reading up on how long it takes on average to get pregnant, the best times to dtd etc as if that's going to make the blindest bit of difference! I hope it happens this month as i think i will get nuttier and nuttier as the months go on.

I'm still drinking a lot of caffeine and a fair amount of alcohol (though less than I was). Would obviously cut back caffeine and cut out alcohol as soon as I get my BFP. I have been taking folic acid since December and am making an effort to eat well.

DurhamRed Fri 02-May-14 18:33:59

Gem - you sound very much like me. I couldn't sleep last night and found myself at 2.30 am reading up on how long sperm can live...crazy!!!

I'm also trying to eat healthy and am taking conception support vitamins (other half is also taking the men's conception support vits too).

Unfortunately for us we are both 40 so we are not expecting a BFP so quickly. Age is definitely against us!

greenwolf Fri 02-May-14 18:35:07

Ugh AF arrived last night - 5 days early and more painful than usual (although, could be I'm more tuned in and sensitive to my uterus right now).

Hope you all have better luck than me this month!

Gemerama Fri 02-May-14 18:38:42

Haha, yes Durham that's exactly like me too. In my lunch break today I was googling egg white cervical mucus (on my blackberry, not my work computer!!). If I'm honest, it's really not the best thing to be researching when eating!

Never thought I'd be like this at all. Fingers crossed for our BFPs hey?!

I am 32 and hubby is 35.

Gemerama Fri 02-May-14 18:41:31

Sorry to hear that greenwolf but best of luck next cycle. February baby!

Gemerama Fri 02-May-14 18:44:56

Also my best friend gave birth to a beautiful little girl this week, which has made me even more broody!

DurhamRed Fri 02-May-14 18:57:31

Sorry to hear you have your AF Greenwolf, fingers crossed for next cycle!

Gem - my OH's sister in law is 4 months pregnant and we're meeting up with her tomorrow... I know I'm going to be so jealous/broody when I see her.

Katybear123 Fri 02-May-14 18:57:48

I am so pleased there are like minded folk out there. We aren't trying for another 12 days ( end of pill packet and then af) and I am already counting the days and wondering how long it will take to fall. I'm really hoping to try and avoid stressing about it as already have a very stressful job and praying this doesn't effect our chances :-(

Gemerama Fri 02-May-14 19:04:25

Let's hope it happens quickly for us neurotic women!

One of my new guilty pleasures is peering at next years calendar and thinking when the baby would be due and when I'd go off on maternity leave if I conceive this cycle. I'm sure I'm not normal!!

Gemerama Fri 02-May-14 19:05:55

I have a job that often entails long days with evening meetings and I am already rubbing my hands together thinking I'll have an excuse to get out of them once I am pregnant!

Katybear123 Fri 02-May-14 19:12:02

I am sooo the same as that Gemerama, I also have to travel for work and stay away from home which I really dislike so rubbing my hands together at the thought of having the perfect excuse to say no to them!

DurhamRed Fri 02-May-14 19:14:20

I never realised how stressful TTC could be, I'm trying my hardest not to become obsessed about it all, but it is difficult.

Gemerama Fri 02-May-14 19:16:01

This is why I like coming on here, it reassures me that I am not the only one that thinks these things!

Katybear123 Fri 02-May-14 19:17:28

Do you reckon being stressed makes a difference?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now