Can you get pregnant using the withdrawal method?

(38 Posts)
senorita81 Mon 17-Mar-14 16:14:03

I have come off the pill about a month now as I want to get my cycle back in order for trying to conceive later in the year. I told my boyfriend I want on the pill anymore as I didn't want to deceive him. Now he is using the withdrawal method when we have sex.
Could I still get pregnant this way? Have any of you guys got pregnant this way? I'm kinda hoping it accidentally happens to be honest!

If you don't want to go back on the pill and don't like condoms (and I am only saying this because it is only temporary and you want to start TTC anyway in a little while) then you should at least combine withdrawal with charting and abstaining on the week leading up to (since sperm can live for 7 days inside of you) and during the days on which you are ovulating.

However, you should only do this as well as warning him to research the risks, as PP have said, so he does not get a nasty shock and feel deceived.

senorita81 Mon 17-Mar-14 18:45:41

I'm pleased to know it doesn't really work to be honest, I think if it did happen, it would be ok, well I would be delighted and he would be a bit shocked but would come round. Neither of us are doing much to stop it from happening so fingers crossed it doesn't work!

MrsPaddington Mon 17-Mar-14 18:46:29

You can probably tell from the above posts it doesn't work that well!
However we used it for over a year but I have irregular cycles so that's probably why it didn't fail us.

MoominIsWaitingToMeetHerMiniMe Mon 17-Mar-14 18:49:23

<looks at swollen feet and massive 34 week bump>

Yes. You can get pregnant using the withdrawal method. grin

CbeebiesIsMyLife Mon 17-Mar-14 19:12:21

Ooh Moomin I didn't know you were a withdrawal pregnancy too!! grin

MoominIsWaitingToMeetHerMiniMe Mon 17-Mar-14 19:38:59

Cbeebies Yep, present and accounted for grin

RPopz Mon 17-Mar-14 21:20:43

No form of contraception is 100% guaranteed however I would think this is one of the worst! My OH and I have used a combination of this method and condems for 8 years and not fallen preg but he has very good "control" !

If you're honest with him about the risks (and to be honest he's perfectly capable of deducing them for himself anyway) and you're planning on ttc shortly anyway then I don't see an issue.

pommedeterre Tue 18-Mar-14 13:30:55

Yes.

Ubik1 Tue 18-Mar-14 13:31:40

Are you 12?

Sparklysilversequins Tue 18-Mar-14 13:33:48

You can. However I used it successfully for years and never did. I knew when I ovulated though and avoided that day and a couple of days either side. When we started actively trying I became pregnant within four months.

DiddlePlays Tue 18-Mar-14 13:37:12

Yes you can

And when DH decided to use that 'method' I never got pg.
tbh I really didn't like it as it left me feeling 'half done' iyswim

A word of warning.
At that time I wanted a child, DH didn't. In my mind I thought that I had been clear with him and he knew the risks as well as the fact I wanted a child. So I expected that if I ever got of, he would just have to get on with it.
A few years later, he actually told me that if I had got of, he was expecting me to have an abortion!
So of course you are not tricking him but be aware that if you DO get pg, he might still not accept that pg.

ScarlettOHaraHamilton Tue 18-Mar-14 13:48:28

I think a better definition of a form of withdrawal method that works effectively is "don't even think about getting anywhere near finishing, boyo" wink

And whether or not it is effective really depends on whether or not your DP/DH enjoys sex that way.

naty1 Tue 18-Mar-14 21:39:34

How well it would work would depend largely on how fertile you both are. And you wouldnt know unless you have gotten pregnant before. And even then...
It would usually take 3 months to get pregnant.
Your fertility decreases a lot after 35.
I am rushing to do another round of ivf before im 35.
(We found we had issues at 30 when we started trying.)
Most couples i know got pg easily but you just dont know so if you both want kids eventually and you get pg accidentally like this hopefully you will both be glad (and at least then you wont be dealing with years of infertility which is much harder than an accidental pregnancy)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now