Anyone under 30 and trying ttc #1 for a while?

(15 Posts)
MrsDonnaLyman Thu 27-Feb-14 11:46:43

Started spotting and cramping today so AF on the way.... Onto cycle 8.

Feeling so fed up and miserable. I've tried opk, temping, seem to ovulate, have regular cycles, just turned 27. I can't shake the fear that it will never happen for us.

DH is mid thirties and all his friends have children. All I seem to hear is how easy it will be to get pregnant because of my age, and how much time I have.

Anyone else feeling down and want to join the pity party?

moggle Thu 27-Feb-14 13:27:29

Firstly I love your username!
I don't know if this is much help; but i know you already know that you are still in the 'normal' boundaries of time taken to get pg, so the main thing is, don't forget that. The stats are still On your side! Chances are you will be pg before the year is up.

It is true that some people take longer, and some people require some kind of help to have a baby. The fact that you're ovulating regularly bodes well for that (as well as for your chances of getting pg naturally of course). Also it is good that you're young because it means that if you do end up requiring assistance of some form such as ivf, you will have higher odds of success than someone older.
Once you get to a year of trying with no luck, a visit to the GP is usually in order. The first tests are just blood tests for you, and a semen analysis for your DH, so nothing too invasive. Then you can work forward from there.

I'm not going to tell you everything will 100% be fine and stop worrying you'll get pg before you know it- but it is true of people in your situation at 8months, more people will fall in that category than will have to go on to have investigations. I think for me the period about 3-9 months TTC was the hardest after that we got a bit more zen about it and now 2 and a bit years we are having ivf and it is going swimmingly so far. Good luck xx

NewlymrsB Thu 27-Feb-14 14:40:22

I feel for you. I'm 26 and although it's only my 3rd cycle I feel like it should have happened already. Hubby has 2 kids from previous relationship so panicking I'm the problem. I'm sure when your young your made to believe you will fall pregnant so easily!! Good luck to you xx

naty1 Thu 27-Feb-14 16:52:50

I would just consider if you think there is anything unusual.
Like having irregular periods, acne, weight gain symptoms if pcos.
Really low body temp when temping -thyroid.
Short luteal phase.
Most things you wouldnt be able to spot but some you may have an inkling about.
We were trying year and half before we found out about OH low count, despite going to dr at 9m thinking i had thyroid issue.

NewlyMrsB i would just say secondary infertility also occurs so just as he already has kids doesnt mean any issue would be at your end.

Try not to get stressed it is still early on. But worth looking at factors that affect sperm etc.
you could always try the boots sperm test or a private test they arent that expensive i dont think (not sure if you can do without seeing consultant though?)

BeetleBeetle Thu 27-Feb-14 18:22:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RPopz Thu 27-Feb-14 18:43:43

Hey Mrs. I'm 28, I was 27 when we started ttc in september. On cycle 6 now. I know 6 months isn't long at all in the grand scheme of things but I'm starting to feel pretty anxious and depressed - and paranoid there's a problem! So much so I'm contemplating going private for some tests just to put my mind at rest.... Just as a relief from the anxiety really.

I got my period yesterday so I'm on a mega pity party right now.

The Internet is my worst enemy... esp the website that says "the majority of women conceive within 3 months" !!!?!?

MrsDonnaLyman Thu 27-Feb-14 20:46:20

Thank you all for replying!! I just feel so sad at the moment, and I stupidly told a few people we were going to ttc after the wedding in a general discussion, so now I feel like everyone is waiting! My 4 year old niece has been nagging me all night 'but why dont you have a baby growing inside you yet' she's lucky she is so cute!!

Periods fairly regular - 28-31 days. Luteal phase is a bit short I think 9-11 days. I don't really know what that means?

Good luck to all of you!

barmybunting Thu 27-Feb-14 21:54:01

Hi Donna, sorry to hear you are feeling sad about it all. It's not easy.
We are ttc #1 as well, month 6 for us, cycle 4 though as my cycles are utterly out of sync and have been since I came off the pill 9 months ago. DH is 29 and I turned 28 last week. Suddenly seeing that extra year makes it feel panicky to me for some reason, which is daft really as I know we are still young.

The fact you are regular is a good sign. As other's say, it's probably worth going to the Dr at the end of a year if nothing has happened by then. But to be fair, I think if you are concerned before that, I would be going sooner if you are very worried. I am intending to see the gp about my irregular cycles if no bfp appears this month as I am starting to worry it is not linked to coming off the pill after this length of time.

Good luck!

MrsDonnaLyman Fri 28-Feb-14 03:44:31

Good luck to you too barming! I know what you mean about the extra year, this feels like the year I should be giving birth!

MrsDonnaLyman Fri 28-Feb-14 03:45:14

Sorry barmy!

ChubbyKitty Fri 28-Feb-14 04:37:13

Can I join the pity party? I'm 22, and been off the pill since last April. I did a couple of OPKs last year to get an idea of whether I was ovulating or not and I think I was, I certainly got lines. Then around July I had a month long periodconfused which could have been stress of my mums funeral and the doctor gave me tablets to stop the bleeding temporarily.

Went to the doctor just before Christmas because I was two weeks late and no bfp, so I was a little worried. Her answer?

"I'm sure you're fine, you're only young"

And that was the appointment over. Wasn't really sure what else to say tbh.

BeetleBeetle Fri 28-Feb-14 07:10:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BumWad Fri 28-Feb-14 07:59:05

It took me about 15 cycles to conceive and I started trying when I was 28, conceived naturally at the age of 30! It seemed a long drawn out affair but we're still in the normal camp apparently! Don't lose hope

MrsDonnaLyman Fri 28-Feb-14 15:24:30

Thank you for the happy story bumwad!

Sorry for the loss of your mum, kitty. Agree re going back to dr if no bfp by April.

khinks03 Fri 28-Feb-14 16:01:21

Hiya. I totally understand how you feel. I'm 27, ttc #1 cycle 10. It's so depressing. Lots of friends getting pregnant quickly and easily it would seem. Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now