How old is too old?

(3 Posts)
lucywiltshire Tue 25-Feb-14 20:46:58

I made the mistake of watching last night's OBEM and am feeling mega broody. I am a mum-of-three (DS-4, DS1-2 and DS2-12 months). I am 42 this June. OH would love another, as would I some days but others I think not! How old is too old - if I decide to go for number 4 do I need to do it quickly or do I have a year or two to decide?

eurochick Tue 25-Feb-14 21:07:12

TBH, I wouldn't wait. Some people do get pregnant in their mid-40s, but it is fairly rare and complications increase too.

Look at IVF rates by age for some idea of how age affects fertility rates. Those are women who have a fertilised embryo put back in the right place and success rates are tiny after the early 40s.

lucywiltshire Tue 25-Feb-14 21:16:21

I am not too concerned about conceiving as each time I have conceived first time, but what does worry me is the increased risk of problems. The thought of miscarriage or stillbirth terrifies me and that is what makes me think it might be foolish to push my luck when I already have three gorgeous children

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now