still breastfeeding but want to try for a baby

(8 Posts)
Claire129 Mon 10-Feb-14 22:26:33

Hi jusy hoping some1 could give me some advice please.
I am breastfeeding my dd still who is 1 but not very often, mainly on a night but my periods still havent returned. My dh and i would love another baby but i dont know if and when im ovulating and whether i will get pregnant at all. I am 32 + healthy but no period. Hope some1 can help me xx

naty1 Tue 11-Feb-14 09:35:26

I believe night weaning can bring back periods

g0ldie Tue 11-Feb-14 18:38:09

I'm the same! One year old ds and still waiting for periods to return. There is a thread here:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/1956551-TTC-and-still-Breastfeeding-You-are-not-alone-come-to-our-bf-friendly-cafe-for-a-chat-and-some-cake

Come and join us!

zippygeorgebungle Wed 12-Feb-14 13:32:26

Hello, I was bfing until my baby was 21 months and periods had returned 10 months earlier. Blood tests showed that the BFing was suppressing ovulation (was only feeding once a day by then), so it can be hard to conceive even when periods return whilst breastfeeding. I stopped in Nov and hormone levels/ovulation have returned to normal. Having said that, others manage to feed perfectly well throughout conceiving and even subsequent pregnancy, so it is all different for each woman I'm afraid. Good luck.

weebairn Wed 12-Feb-14 14:07:37

Hello, my periods came back at a year and I got pregnant the same month I got my coil out - DD was 15 months. I'm still feeding.

I stopped night feeds at 14 months - so my periods came back before then. But I think some women have success with spacing out feeds or night weaning. There's some good info on kellymom on this.

Anecdotally most bf mums I know seem to have got their periods back at roughly a year, or a few months after. I also know ones who did at 6 weeks and at 24 months - so it's a very wide range. Kellymom says as a general rule if you get regular periods and you had normal fertility before breastfeeding, you are very likely to be fertile.

weebairn Wed 12-Feb-14 14:08:34

May just be a waiting game for your periods I guess.
You can get pregnant before your first period as well, if you catch the egg that month before it arrives!

Paintyfingers Wed 12-Feb-14 14:12:52

As Goldie says, come and join us on our special TTC while bf thread - lovely people and lots of good info smile

Claire129 Fri 09-May-14 21:57:41

Im going to join u all and thank u everyone xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now