pregnant or not?

(25 Posts)
HelloBoys Tue 28-Jan-14 12:45:13

This may not be the place to start a new thread.

Anyway been seeing new partner (3 months) and using withdrawal method.

However in past 4-6 weeks I've put on weight (a lot) round boobs and stomach and also been weeing tons too. and I get a sick feeling not in mornings but been feeling sick and also my sense of smell is heightened.

i've been taking Levothyroxine too for past 4 weeks.

I'm not TTC but it would not be end of world if I were pregnant as I'm 42.

should I test or not?

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Tue 28-Jan-14 12:45:57

Yes.

Showy Tue 28-Jan-14 12:50:02

If everything you say is true, I'd drop a sample to the GP because unprotected sex, feeling sick and weeing lots can be a sign of an infection. Get the GP to check for pregnancy too.

I assume you were both tested for STDs before having unprotected sex and you're sure it's an exclusive relationship? If not, I'd get checked for sexually transmitted infections too.

HelloBoys Tue 28-Jan-14 12:50:11

I just had a period too though....

and I feel knackered though whether due to thyroid meds or not I don't know.

Eating like a pig but I always do that.

HelloBoys Tue 28-Jan-14 12:51:12

Showy - yes we did both test for STDs. I always do that. after a chlamydia scare in late 20's then have to do that.

Oh yes we are both exclusive with each other.

toots123 Tue 28-Jan-14 12:51:15

You need to test. Only way you would know.

im glad its not the end of the world if you are pg as the withdrawal method is the worst way to prevent getting pregnancy. It never works!

Showy Tue 28-Jan-14 12:54:02

Withdrawal is actually pretty good with perfect use. The problem is that lots of people struggle with the pulling out in time bit. If you pull out in plenty of time every time, it's actually not a bad option. Theory is very different to practice however...

HelloBoys Tue 28-Jan-14 12:56:54

hmmm well I'm going on what he does - and he always seems to pull out in plenty of time.

does everyone get the sore boobs thing etc?

I was pregnant years ago (twice, miscarriage and termination) and don't recall sore boobs at all. Terrible morning sickness with one. and tiredness and ravenous hunger but even then I THINK I am hungrier than normal now but I just don't know. maybe I'm really not....

if you're PG do you get a brain fuzz/fog?

HelloBoys Tue 28-Jan-14 12:59:20

oh GP doesn't test for pregnancy anymore (just rang them) only STD but as I got tested and he did first then no need for that...

damn down to chemist I go then...

Showy Tue 28-Jan-14 13:01:19

They will check for UTI.

HelloBoys Tue 28-Jan-14 15:12:53

I tested and will do another one but I have news, it says 'I'm pregnant'.

Bloody hell.

Honeybee79 Tue 28-Jan-14 15:20:20

Eeeek. Wow. Congratulations.

HelloBoys Tue 28-Jan-14 15:22:47

Honey - thanks. smile

now what? I've been drinking a bit (not a huge amount) since then. not taken any pregnancy vitamins etc? will baby be ok?

does it count if I took the test just now (tea break)? I was using withdrawal method but obvs not worked...

Honeybee79 Tue 28-Jan-14 15:26:00

If you have only been drinking moderately then I am sure it will be fine but maybe speak with your midwife/gp about it if you're unsure.

Ask the doc to arrange a dating scan for you so you know how far along you are and have a due date.

Then I guess just start really looking after yourself - eating well, etc. I never took any vitamins or anything but, again, ask your midwife or GP.

Have you told your partner as yet?

HelloBoys Tue 28-Jan-14 15:29:24

I've been eating well had a drunken night last week but generally I don't drink much, once or twice a week if that.

no not told him yet. we've been together 3 months but he's already told me he'd be supportive let me keep baby etc.

yikes....

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Tue 28-Jan-14 15:43:00

Oh wow! Congratulations. How are you going to tell him? Do you live together?

It sounds like this is a happy accident

HelloBoys Tue 28-Jan-14 16:11:16

Theres - thanks.

No idea how I will tell him. wondering if Valentine's Day is best or do it before? No we don't live together it's only been 3 months!

yes very happy accident.

naty1 Tue 28-Jan-14 16:28:59

Very important to monitor your tsh .
Are you having follow up bloods to see how your levels have gone down as you may need to check with gp.
Your dose may need to be increased early in pg.

HelloBoys Tue 28-Jan-14 17:21:34

Hi naty1 - I am down to the doctors ASAP.

I want to do another pregnancy test just to be sure it's positive then see doctor. I was only diagnosed with low thyroid levels last October/November and started meds (Levothyroxine) start January.

My doctor is great but have had no bloods and indeed I was going back in April to test blood levels. Luckily I've got private medical for testing and I will pay further if need be.

jamtoast12 Tue 28-Jan-14 17:43:37

Congratulations!

Yes you must get those tsh levels checked, particularly as you haven't been on it long and so you don't even know if you are still hypothyroid which can cause serious issues in the first 3 months of pregnancy. You need to be tested now especially and then a minimum of each trimester.

They usually only advise to start ttc once levels are stable and as yours may not be yet, you need to address this with your gp urgently. (I know it's not planned).

Sorry not trying to be doom and gloom but unstable hypothyroidism and pregnancy don't mix well so better to be aware smile

naty1 Tue 28-Jan-14 18:07:23

Yes completely agree with jamtoast.
People are told not to try till stabilised (I did get to the level they wanted straight away)
Also the levels for conception tend to be diff to what may have been ok otherwise
Ie mine was 3.7 and that would have been ok if I hadn't been going to have ivf.
Not sure what they aim for in pg

HelloBoys Tue 28-Jan-14 21:34:06

I'm off to doctor tomorrow afternoon.

She didn't tell me to not TTC when I spoke to her last in fact I mentioned it to her re TTC and she brushed that off and said come back for testing and we can discuss then re TTC.

In fact I may mention generally (not nastily) that I'm not overly impressed re lack of info re my thyroid problem. She's literally hardly told me anything and I wouldn't mind but am on medical plan where they cover tests.

naty1 Tue 28-Jan-14 22:15:21

It may be drs being cautious. (Also the "wait till you normalize" is from an ivf clinic so they are probably more clued up on it.)
(The thyroxine could have helped with the bfp as it can help with fertility issues)

HelloBoys Wed 29-Jan-14 09:50:46

naty1 - thanks for that.

I've just noticed though on threads here how you should avoid fluoride etc got some vile fennel fluoride free toothpaste

and the testing and my doctor didn't say that. but can discuss later.

naty1 Wed 29-Jan-14 10:09:26

I never had it meantioned to me about the toothpaste (uk) but may depend whereabouts you live ie if they put some in water too.
But i have been being careful not to overuse it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now