confusing pregnancy tests!!

(17 Posts)
mummyneedinganswers Tue 14-Jan-14 22:02:48

So I finished my period last week and the day after my period finished I had a + hpt ... sonce then I have had 5 cheap tests all different brands say im pregnant but two clear blue says negative im so comfused because everyone says clearblue is the best but the cheap ones are saying positive and clearblue says negative ?

CatchesTheNightTrain Tue 14-Jan-14 22:04:10

Confused as to why you'd do a pregnancy test the day after your period has finished?

No idea re positives/ negatives, just find it unusual to test after a period?

mummyneedinganswers Tue 14-Jan-14 22:05:28

I tested aftery period because I was in hospital extrememly ill and my period was not my usual so I tested wen I got home

CatchesTheNightTrain Tue 14-Jan-14 22:08:53

Oh I see. Having a period is usually a pretty good indicator you aren't pregnant, but implantation bleeding/ spotting in early pregnancy also very common around the time your period would of been due, so now I understand why you tested if not a normal period - sorry I didn't quite follow at first.

Hmmm re tests , no idea which is best? Maybe see your GP for bloods?

mummyneedinganswers Tue 14-Jan-14 22:13:24

Anno I want my gp to do a test but Its so hard to get an appointment at my doctors.
I was so happy to see positives and then the negatives knocked me back.

CatchesTheNightTrain Tue 14-Jan-14 22:15:04

Yes I can imagine. Maybe wait a few days and re test. I've heard superdrugs own brand ?first response? Are very sensitive?

maeanne Tue 14-Jan-14 22:17:55

Perhaps you had early pregnany bleeding rather than af then, which can be normal for some. I had the same with my daughter.

Also I have heard a few people on here saying they have had negatives from a clearblue but positives from cheaper brands. I think the clearblue are actually less sensitive in a lot of cases.

mummyneedinganswers Tue 14-Jan-14 22:18:56

I must try them god ive used so many from tescos own to clear blue and I dont think there are many more brands I can try lol its so frustrating

Pinkandwhite Tue 14-Jan-14 22:19:52

Oh how confusing for you. I'm 8 weeks pregnant now and also bled when my period would have been due but it was pretty light. I reckon you are pregnant... Can you do another test tomorrow morning and see if the lines are darker? I actually think you need to have a higher level of pregnancy hormone for the clearblue test to detect it than you do for other tests like first response or superdrug. What I'm basically saying is that some tests are more sensitive than others which would explain the positives with some but not others. It's extremely unlikely that you'd get 5 false negatives. Good luck!

mummyneedinganswers Tue 14-Jan-14 22:24:25

Anno its really annoying and my dp is stressing too cz he doesnt know whats going on and its my sisters birthday soon and I told her I cnt go because I dont want to risk it am going to buy some more tomorro and hope for the best thank you xx

mummyneedinganswers Tue 14-Jan-14 22:25:41

Anno hopefully all is okay x

bonzo77 Tue 14-Jan-14 22:26:42

I hear that tests with pink dye are clearer and give earlier BFPs than ones with blue dye. First response are pink as are the very very cheap internet strips. Clearblue are, well, blue. The "digital" ones can be even less sensitive than the blue ones. The only time I used a blue one when I didn't already know the answer was when I was actually already 2 weeks late.

I think you are pregnant. The tests don't give false positives, only false negatives.

mummyneedinganswers Tue 14-Jan-14 22:27:22

The other thing aswell I keep getting bad twinges around my lower stomach wen I move

mummyneedinganswers Tue 14-Jan-14 22:28:15

Anno thank you its jus so confusing x

mummyneedinganswers Wed 15-Jan-14 01:22:37

Bump

Juvenilesuccess Wed 15-Jan-14 02:01:15

You don't get false positives. If a test says your pregnant then you are pregnant. It doesn't matter about branding.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Wed 15-Jan-14 02:16:49

ClearBlue digital are utter shite. There are more anxious threads here because of them than any other test. They aren't at all sensitive, and when you do get a positive, they can be out in their dating </> up to 10 days.
You'd be far better with Pound Shop cheapies. They are incredibly sensitive and a fraction of the price. You can POAS to your hearts content without going bankrupt!
IIRC, you can get a false positive, but they are incredibly rare. One maybe, but not loads.
You really need to get to the GP. They can do a blood test to check for HcG. If you cant get there though, you'll find out one way or another eventually! wink grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now