Eggcellent egg buddies - a thread for all those IVFing in January, February and March

(970 Posts)
TheBuggerlugs Sun 12-Jan-14 09:33:19

Welcome old timers, regulars and newbies. This is a thread filled with advice and support for all those waiting to cycle, cycling or thinking about it.

Make yourselves comfy ladies.

<Opens last tin of Quality Streets left over from Christmas>

BrookerC Sun 12-Jan-14 11:07:32

Budge up on the sofa bugs and pass me one of those green triangles <nom nom>

NoCupcakesOrCocktails Sun 12-Jan-14 11:22:38

Hey bugs nice new thread smile

Welcome Sea and Time. Congrats on being PUPO Sea! Time wow you have really been through the mill. I really hope it works for you.

Brooker yay to getting scratch booked. The next few weeks will fly by. You will be doing your FET before you know it.

Stars well done on triggering. I hope you enjoy your little fucker free day smile

Bunny any news on the fab 4? Having a full bladder is the worst part of ET. I think Bugs advice about drinking is spot on. I live about a 30 min drive and the nurse told me to pee before I left home and drink 500mls slowly on the way.

Euro yeah I guess 3 scans might be a bit excessive! How are you feeling?

Thoughtful I'm thinking of you, I know how shit the waiting around is. I was lucky when I miscarried as my levels dropped quickly and it only took two beta tests to rule out ectopic. It was only when my levels dropped to about 20 that I could really accept what was happening and start to grieve xxx

Twinks that's so lovely that it will be 3 years to the day.

Res how are you doing? I've been thinking of you too. Life is so unfair. What happens now? Have you got a cycle review coming up?

I live a few minutes walk from Slattery's. I really have to restrict how often I go there for the sake of my figure! During my last cycle I had a treat from there after each injection and after EC DH got me a cake saying happy egg collection day. God knows what the staff thought! It's no surprise I put on half a stone during my last cycle!

Hi to Fab, Nobeer, Fish, Pip, Maryp and anyone else I've missed.

time2deal Sun 12-Jan-14 12:13:45

Tis all the past now. I'm just pleased I get the chance to try ivf! The first thing they suggest with cervical cancer is a hysterectomy. But I was given a relatively new treatment that just removed the cervix.

Anyway, I think as an added bonus from the dummy et that I had a scratch done. Is it simply a catheter put through into the cervix and run along the inside of the uterus? The doc did that during the dummy et. Looked like a white line on the ultrasound. I had a full bladder for that whole process too - glad it isn't just me that found that really hard! They put me in recovery after (as I'd had a lot of gas) by I had to get someone to walk me to the bathroom. Was just too painful.

But each time you learn more. I'm looking forward to new experiences!

time2deal Sun 12-Jan-14 12:15:05

P.s. by gas I mean nitrox for pain! Just realised that sounded slightly odd.

resipsa Sun 12-Jan-14 13:06:30

Just back from a(nother) 3 year old's party and marking spot.

tametortie Sun 12-Jan-14 13:14:12

Marking place xxx

eurochick Sun 12-Jan-14 13:27:05

cups not too bad thanks. I don't really have nausea, but I have periods where I just feel "out of sorts". I'm having one now. I feel like it will be a bit of a "wasted" weekend of mostly sitting on the sofa, but I guess my body needs it.

time a scratch is similar - they put the catheter in but then use a sharp edge to actually scratch the surface of the lining. I would have thought they would have told you if they were doing one as it is a separate procedure over and above a mock transfer, requiring consent.

vallinnapod Sun 12-Jan-14 16:06:01

Oh, new thread. Don't take it personally ladies but I hope I am not on it for the duration like last time hmm wink

seamermaid Sun 12-Jan-14 16:08:40

Thanks for the welcome ladies.

Time - you have been through a lot. Amazing what they have been able to do. I really hope it works for you.

Euro - Sorry you are feeling out of sorts but it's all for a good cause.

Re full bladder for ET. My clinic told me to have a half full bladder only. They said to empty bladder when you arrive at the clinic and then have 2 glasses of water and you should be at the right level of fullness. ET was pretty painless for me. Only a little discomfort.

Interesting chat about telling family, friends & work colleagues about ivf. I have told most of my friends and everyone has been immensely supportive. My family especially my mother has been a real disappointment. My mother is in the camp of you should leave it to nature. It certainly hasn't helped our already difficult relationship. She hasn't even asked about the treatment despite knowing I am going through it. sad Work colleague - I will never tell. I work with a lot of macho type men who think as soon as women get preggo they stay home and never do anything. Sad but true.

Bunnygirlie Sun 12-Jan-14 16:14:01

<Creeps in, sits on sofa>

Like what you've done with the place. So how's tricks?
<she says nonchalantly>

p.s. PUPO wink

TheBuggerlugs Sun 12-Jan-14 16:23:07

Excellent news bunny how did it go? What are your plans for the 2ww?

starsandmoonandback Sun 12-Jan-14 16:24:21

Bunnie, are you pupo? Congratulations!

Cups, I certainly am enjoying my fucker free day! Made me giggle!

Bunnygirlie Sun 12-Jan-14 16:28:37

I believe so smile. Another very weird experience under my belt. The full bladder thing was awful, we waited half hour in waiting room and by the time they called me in I was in agony and had to have a half wee lol

Thanks stars and bugs I feel I must make plans to keep my mind off things!

starsandmoonandback Sun 12-Jan-14 16:40:21

Bunnie. Distraction is great for the long ole 2ww. Nice chilled out things. Are you off work? X

starsandmoonandback Sun 12-Jan-14 16:43:08

Ps. Does anybody else think the drugs make you feel a bit spaces out. The last few days I've not been with it. On my trip to London and back on Friday, I managed to lose my return ticket! I bought another ticket to get home (stupidly a return instead of a single!) then lost that on the way back!?! How is that stupidity possible?!

I feel very distracted and preoccupied! shock

TheBuggerlugs Sun 12-Jan-14 16:59:27

I feel like I have cotton wool for a brain. I'm glad I'm not at work or I'd be a total zombie.

Bunnygirlie Sun 12-Jan-14 17:03:13

Resting today but back to work tomorrow, office job so nothing strenuous. Doctor said best to get back to normal

time2deal Sun 12-Jan-14 17:13:12

Totally agree stars. The nurse said to me 'take menopur for 3 days, then start the centrotride, can you remember that or do you want me to write it down'. And I think.. what do you think I am! I'm a grown up woman.

Cue two days later when I'm frantically trying to find the bit of paper as I have no idea when I either a) started the menopur, or b) when I'm supposed to add the centrotride!

Last cycle I lost my oyster card twice, once while I was on the tube somehow.

vallinnapod Sun 12-Jan-14 19:43:46

Congrats Bunny...from now on is easily the worst part winkgrin Work was a real distraction for me. I was very protective of myself on the commute.

I too am in the brain fug. Including forgetting to take half my dose of Progynova one day far too relaxed after yoga blush

Most people know I am going through IVF. It's just easier to tell work, and luckily they have been fantastic. My decision paid off when I had my MC. It was a lot easier not having to sugar coat or explain. I don't like friends and colleague thinking that I am being flakey or awkward. I would rather they know why I umm and ahh over dates, move meetings at the last minute and flake out on social engagements, not drink etc.

Fabuluce Sun 12-Jan-14 20:08:27

Marking place <circling circling circling....and flop>

Badhairday76 Sun 12-Jan-14 20:12:28

Thank goodness I found you lot! Am here, marking my place too. Congrats on being PUPO, Bunny. Who is having EC tomorrow? Is it you, Stars? If so, good luck! Thinking of you, Res and Thoughtful. Hello to everybody else xxx

Hatteras Sun 12-Jan-14 21:05:54

Oooh, nice new shiny thread! Hopefully our stays here will be brief, just long enough for a quick chat and to finish off the last of the Quality Street.

Congrats on being PUPO bunny, and good luck for the EC tomorrow stars. Hope everyone else is doing well.

I'm triggering this evening so EC will be on Tuesday am. Just spoke to my doctor who mentioned that last time of the 11 eggs they collected there were 'lots' of immature eggs. Only 1 egg was successfully fertilised but that was put down to the fact that the sperm didn't seem to be penetrating the eggs. So, we were advised to try ICSI this time to try and increase the level of fertilisation. Nothing was mentioned at the time about immature eggs and now that has got me frantically googling and seeing what that is all about...arghh.

Need to stop menkulling! Plenty of time for that in the 2ww...(fingers crossed things get that far). Anyone know how to switch your brain off for a while?

vallinnapod Sun 12-Jan-14 21:18:53

No idea hatters, but if you mind out please let me know!

In all seriousness I find mindfulness meditiation good. I also have a IVF hypnotherapy CD which us good.

time2deal Sun 12-Jan-14 21:20:44

Have to ask... What is menkulling?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now