TTC and exercise - is there such a think as too much?

(15 Posts)

I've been ttc over 2 years, currently on clomid. I recently went to see an acupuncturist recommended by a friend. After hearing I was running two or three times a week she said I needed to cut right back as it was too much and it was taking energy my body needed. I tried to explain that running lowered my stress levels and even if I would benefit from stopping, the resultant increase in general stress would more than cancel out any benefit. She didn't agree. We parted company. My new acupuncturist hasn't asked me about my levels of exercise. I got pg in summer while running (then mc) so I don't see why running should stop me getting pg again. As it happens I've since injured my knee and not been able to run for a month. No bfp though!! grin

zippygeorgebungle Tue 14-Jan-14 21:47:35

Hello, I paid to see a fertility consultant who runs a big IVF centre recently and he said I had low FSH levels at day 3, which suppresses ovulation. He said, and my letter back to the GP says, that this low FSH is caused by one of three things generally. Breastfeeding, over exercise or being underweight. I'm normal weight and only exercise moderately so in my case he was clear that it was BFing causing problems. Perhaps you could establish what your FSH levels are like at day 3 from a blood test and see if it is a possibility? Good luck and hope you get BFP soon.

TanwyddRocket Tue 14-Jan-14 20:42:55

Thanks LemonDrizzle! I have already been seen at fertility clinic, tests indicated that I wasn't ovulating which,mad you said, is why I am taking the tamoxifen!

I think the general messages here are in agreement with where my head was prior to writing my initial post, if it makes you feel good it's good!!

Thanks all got your replies. I am hopeful that this could well be my month! Here's hoping for a nice BFP!

Xx

lovesLemonDrizzleCake Mon 13-Jan-14 10:18:39

Rocket as far as I know exercise shouldn't hinder anything, providing you still ovulate. But having been TTC for 19months, you should be entitled general fertility tests and treatment. Perhaps you've had them and that's why you're taking tamoxifen, but make sure you get checked out by a fertility clinic (rather than wasting too much time at the GP).

For what it's worth I did lots of exercise for most of our time TTCing (3,5 yrs), it kept me sane. Now I'm finally pregnant after FET. The most noticable result of the exercise regime is that I am hardly showing at 19 weeks and outrunning all the other ladies in my pregnancy-fitness group.

Lizzie people on MN cannot tell you whether you're diffed. Tests will tell. Quite reliably if you take them 14dpo or later. But pregnancy symptoms are very easy to confuse with pre-menstrual symptoms AND not everyone has a text book 28 day cycle. So you might just have had your period and are approaching the next fertile time.

radiatormesh Sun 12-Jan-14 23:37:32

Lizzie - none of us can tell you that. You need to take a test.

hopefullady Sat 11-Jan-14 23:37:55

Hi can any of you help me please??
I'm sooooo confused.
Have every single pregnancy symptom going.
I even feel pregnant.
Then about a week before my period was due I bled just like a period.
But a few days before I stopped bleeding it turned brown & gunky & then really light pink then stopped completely.
Am I pregnant??
Help!!!! Please?????
Lizzie x

radiatormesh Sat 11-Jan-14 23:20:40

As j200 said, if you're ovulating with regular cycles then you're unlikely to be exercising too much.

Cakebaker35 Sat 11-Jan-14 16:18:12

Mikes? Miles!

Cakebaker35 Sat 11-Jan-14 16:17:58

Jessica Ennis is pregnant and look at all the exercise she does! Everyone is different but I was running about 25 mikes a week when I conceived dc1 and also ran a half marathon before I knew I was pregnant. Good luck x

j200 Sat 11-Jan-14 11:04:48

Hi too much exercise can lower your oestrogen levels and stop ovulation- see hypothalamic amenorrhea. As I have low oestrogen have been told to cut back on all high impact exercise and walk instead- tough but if it works will be worth it. Everyone's body is different. Good luck x

angelicjen Fri 10-Jan-14 22:22:28

Fair play for doing all that!

A friend of mine told me her sister had been trying for ages and exercised loads. Then her doc told her it was raising her core temperature so much it was affecting implantation. She took it easy and got pregnant soon after.
Don't know how much truth there is but worth looking into?

TanwyddRocket Fri 10-Jan-14 21:02:55

Hi Ladies, thanks for your replies!

My BMI is 25 ish, the high end of healthy!! I am 5ft 10 and 12 stone, so am not skinny but also not over weight! A comfortable size 12/14. I haven't spoken to the GP about it, I guess I have always kind of thought that anything which makes me feel good, is good! Although after 19 months of TTC I am looking at and considering everything!!

My Personal Trainer knows we are TTC and has said that only when we catch will I have to ease back.

I just wondered if others had any views or experience!

Xx

bluebeanie Fri 10-Jan-14 19:44:58

Have you spoken to your gp about it? What is your bmi?

Quoteunquote Fri 10-Jan-14 19:17:06

Well you could always try having three months off to see if anything changes.

TanwyddRocket Fri 10-Jan-14 15:54:53

Hi Ladies!

My partner and I have been TTC for the last 19 months, this is our first month TTC with the added support of Tamoxifen to boost my ovulation.

I am fit and healthy 32 yr old, I excersie regularly and always have done. I do indoor cycling and rowing, spinning, weigh training, HIIT and also have two individual personal training sessions per week, which are fairly hardcore!!

I know that being healthy and active is a good thing but wonder what people think about how much is too much. When I train, I train hard. Should I be easing things back a little while TTC?

I have had my first (ever) positive Opk today �� so thinking of trying the SMEP approach for the next few days.

What are people's views on excersie? Has anyone changed their routine while TTC.

Good luck to us all xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now