Evaporation line or BFP?????

(119 Posts)
blueskies19 Sun 24-Nov-13 18:05:46

Ive been trying to conceive for many years and for the first time this last month I used the cheap ovulation predictor kits. They amazingly worked as I thought nothing would show up but a very faint line showed up at the start of ovulation which I confirmed with a more expensive brand that same day. Me and the partner only managed to DTD twice during that period.

I am 5 days before the start of AF and have bought the same cheap pregnancy tests and I have just tested today (not with FMU) and the result within 1 minute was a definite negative but going back to the test after 9 minutes there was a very very faint line (squint through narrow eyes and you may see it!) but there was a very pale line which over time has become darker.

I am convinced it is an evaporation line as I have been trying for 5 years and am almost giving up and am just about to go down the ivf route.

Does anyone have any experience of cheap pregnancy tests and do they more often than the branded ones come up with this evopration line?
I think I am just driving myself crazy with this as the instructions on the packet say DEFINITELY do not read the test after 10 minutes which is what Im doing but I guess Im just hoping for a miracle and would be more ecstatic than winning the lottery to get a BFP

Any advice greatly appreciated x

thepobblewhohasnotoes Tue 26-Nov-13 09:22:54

That's sounding really positive smile

blueskies19 Tue 26-Nov-13 09:57:23

thank you vickyvix and thepobble

I am trying not to get too excited but am quietly jumping up and down with joy :-)
am off to the drs this morning and will see if they can do bloods given my previous experiences have all ended badly

no symptoms whatsoever - where have my sore boobs and strong sense of smell gone :-( would like them to come back asap :-)

did you have many symptoms in the first couple of weeks thepobblewhohasnotoes? or do they typically come later? Am in the dark about all of this as it has all ended so quickly for me in the past so would be really interested to know others experiences

will let you know what betas are - need lots of luck for that one given my past experiences :-(

still feel so excited to have got to this stage which I just thought would never happen

Ahhh what a lovely thread! Sound positive to me!
Don't worry about symptoms or lack of, I found out I was pregnant at the doctors at around 8wks starting the paper work for fertility help, hadn't a clue at all and never did get any until I could feel her move smile

Lottystar Tue 26-Nov-13 11:41:31

I really hope it's a BFP for you Blueskies, sounds like it! Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I recently miscarried in Oct and I know how painful and frustrating a journey it can be ttc. I got a positive ovulation test this morning, which is amazing as I've not ovulated on my own without using Clomid for over a year. I would usually have waited a while after a miscarriage but we are back on the bandwagon with this opportunity as they are so few and far between! Good luck to you and here's hoping I'm getting a bfp this time next month too xxx

SoonToBeSix Tue 26-Nov-13 11:48:01

Everything sounds good to me Blueskies, that many evap lines would be very unusual and they are in the allocated time. I am happy for you smile

allchatnicknamesgone Tue 26-Nov-13 11:51:14

Really wishing that line gets stronger for you….don't worry about dh. They are a whole different ball game. I'm sure he is behind you 100% and they just don't get the whole poas thing! I've had bollockings too for doing it at crazy morning hours. It's so hard when you are just lying there with no distraction (apart from snoring - lol)
Anyway, sweet thread and I really hope it's your time…..

blueskies19 Tue 26-Nov-13 13:36:03

thanks so much everyone

Afraid its not looking good at all and I now feel totally rubbish and like it all sounded too good to be true and my excited enthusiasm is well and truly evaporated like the bloomin line :-(

so i went to the drs after having been very encouraged by the most unfaint line this morning at 8am with FMU - silly me starting planning when I was going to tell my family friends the world etc etc
thankfully something stopped me

I went to the dr and she was v sympathetic and listened to my excited burblings and also my concerns due to the previous experiences which have all ended in MC and then she said well let's just do a test here just to make sure
I did the test as thought this would be a fab idea and after looking at the test for a mere 30 seconds said "well you're not pregnant"!!!!

I nearly fell off my chair and then said are you sure - how can I not be when I was so clearly this morning and have been getting lines all be it very faint? Luckily I had bought in two of the tests that I had done just to show her as otherwise she would have thought it was all in my head - she did agree that the two tests I had bought in did have a line all be it not a very clear line.

She is going to organise blood tests but Im afraid its all looking really rubbish and not promising at all.

I then rushed home and did another test to find out if maybe her test was faulty - really grasping at silly straws here - surely her tests were wrong and mine were right -

I used the same brand as the one I had done at 8am this morning with FMU which came up the most clearly positive BUT very very heartbreakingly in front of my eyes when I retested there was no line except for right before the end of the 5 minute alloted time there was the faintest line Ive had to date which is now only visible with x-ray vision which I think Im develping with all this POAS

I am now so totally heartbroken as it looks exactly like what happened before with a few ok lines to begin with and then gradually fading or no lines at all like the one at the doctors

I feel so upset about it and feel such a fool to have stupidly got my hopes up and now I guess must wait for the horrible AF which is due today or tomorrow but to say I am heartbroken is an understatment

silly me for ever believing that this could be OK :-(

thank you so much to you all for supporting me and your kind and encouraging words - its been a comfort to write it down - in my heart Im thinking that maybe the stronger line will come back tomorrow with the FMU which I know I will stupidly test for but all the signs this morning are sadly not looking good :-(

cantthinkofagoodone Tue 26-Nov-13 13:41:53

Well it's not over until the witch shows and I hope she doesn't!

Good luck OP - try to remain positive, you aren't silly for believing it at all x

LittleTulip Tue 26-Nov-13 13:46:34

We are all gunning for you blue.

And like ^ has said it's not over until AF arrives! Did you test again with you FMU or did you wee again?

allchatnicknamesgone Tue 26-Nov-13 14:03:35

I know it's the hardest thing in the world, but I think you should dig deep and resist the urge to test. It's a huge emotional strain and to be honest whether you keep seeing faint lines or not, you will still drive yourself crazy until your AF arrives. Obviously, chose to ignore me, but its clear that its very distressing and although we are all here for you, I assume you aren't telling your DH about the testing, and he's the biggest support for you right now.

Testing in advance of AF is hugely emotional and I've read so many threads where the bump to the ground is so much bigger because 'we' test early.

I obviously massively hope that you do get your Bfp, but just prepare yourself either way if you know what I mean.

Keep us posted. X

blueskies19 Tue 26-Nov-13 14:06:58

thanks canthinkofagoodone and little tulip

yes I must try and remain positive even though it seems to be a similar pattern to the last few times

AF is not welcome here so will tell her to go away if she appears!

LT - I tested when I came back from the drs with a new sample not FMU

unfortunately I didn't drink gallons of water before hand so the sample wasn't diluted - I would feel slightly more optimistic and reassured if I had downed three pints of water before the drs as then I would put the negative result down to the diluted urine but unfortunatly I can't blame it on that but have to blame it on my rubbish body :-(

Im still probably stupidly holding out for tomorrow morning with the FMU and the line hopefully being back to how it was this morning with the same intensity but I have to say Im not feeling too optimistic at all and feel very silly for allowing myself to believe it will all be ok - will try and and not do any more POAS today as I think its driving me crazy and hopefully will get my blood tests done really soon so at least I know soon whats happening

thanks to you all for your support and kind words - its been a real comfort to me

LittleOwlie Tue 26-Nov-13 14:30:31

Hi Blueskies,

I agree with others and think it's not over til the witch turns up. I've lurked and wish you so much baby dust that this can be good news.

In reading the thread, I'm not convinced the game is up...FMU showed a faint positive. And this is the most concentrated...just give it a few days and things will hopefully be clearer with a good ending.

Good luck and we're all thinking of you

LO smile

blueskies19 Tue 26-Nov-13 14:36:23

thanks allchatnicknamesgone - good advice
I will indeed step away from those POAS which are designed to turn anyone bananas in the process

I know before the home kits were around probably lots of ladies didnt even know they were pregnant and now we have them you get crazy POAS addicts like myself who drive themselves crazy every second checking when there's not much I can do about it

Have been talking to my DH about it and he's been a real support and un like his deranged wife is very level headed and more realistic - a ying to my yang of the other way round!

Just saw one thing which I know I am as usual TOTALLY grasping at straws and trying to over anylase it all but (apologies in advance for TMI) but Ive just noticed, as I have for some stupid reason kept the samples of FMU and the second sample I tested with which gave me the faintest line to date and noticed something very interesting which I am wondering and hoping may have affected things and possibly the results this morning

Now the two samples are DRAMATICALLY different in colour - the FMU is very strong and orange and very concentrated whereas the second sample used to test the faintest line to date late this morning is almost yellow (due to pregnacare conception vitamins making your wee turn alien luminous yellow!)
Apologies again for TMI but just wondered, hoped, yearned for the fact that this is the reason why the tests are now lighter or non existent

Am as I fear just totally crazy and clutching at any straw possible or could there be something in this?

hopefully someone may have had a similar experience and their fading line turns bold as anything the following day with FMU - I can but dream :-)

I am hopefully going to have a blood test very soon which can put my mind at rest hopefully - either way I will at least know whats happening

no more POAS till tomorrow morning when every last finger and toe will be crossed for that strong line

booisgreat Tue 26-Nov-13 14:36:24

If it is any help same thing happened to me a few month ago. Had 3 bfps and went to the doctor all excited. he told me his test was negative. I insisted I was right and he did bloods. While the nurse drew the bloods she told me that the doctors tests are not as sensitive as the shop bought ones and her own daughters test was negative despite being pregnant with twins. My blood hcg came back at 129. Anything over 5 is deemed pregnant. unfortunately I had a mmc and are ttc again.

blueskies19 Tue 26-Nov-13 14:41:41

just seen your message LittleOwlie - bless you for your sweet message and thank you to you all for your kind words and support

its so reassuring to have your support and reassuring words - I haven't told anyone else,except of course the DH - just as well given this morning's evaporating line, so its lovely to be able to have so many kind words from you all

apologies for my long ramblings and thank you all for being there

LittleTulip Tue 26-Nov-13 14:50:33

Hey blue you are probably right and that your second sample will not be as concentrated as your FMU.

I think though for your sanity you should just put everything away/chuck them, get a hot drink and watch a movie or something to help you relax and take your mind off it for today and maybe test tomorrow or the day after.

Everything crossed for you :-)

blueskies19 Tue 26-Nov-13 14:53:15

Im so sorry to hear of your loss booisgreat - I wish you all the very best for ttc - its so very tough indeed - hugs to you

thank you for telling me about the drs test - that's reassuring to know - I did wonder if it couldn't be that sensitve compared to HPT - and the dr confirmed that this has happened to others who have come in and been pregnant but its been just a few days before their period was due and the drs result hasn't shown up as positive until a week or so later so that for me is ressauring

However I was heartbroken to see the same test I did at 8am reveal hardly a visible line when I retested on returning from the drs convinced that the dr was wrong and I was right!

all I can do now is wait till tomorrow for the FMU and then hope I get the blood test soon as this will say for definite what is going on with all this

will keep you all updated but I promise not to do any more POAS - I have thankfully run out of them and only have one left!

blueskies19 Tue 26-Nov-13 14:57:57

thanks so much littletulip - very good advice

a movie and a hot drink sounds a fantastic idea
will do just that and will update you all in the morning
x

allchatnicknamesgone Tue 26-Nov-13 15:01:29

Question way of point but how on earth did you get doctors appointment this morning so quickly? I have to be half dead before I can even get an appointment on the same day and thats after repeatedly phoning them for like 30 mins at 8am!!!
Is it like a drop in doctors or something?

blueskies19 Tue 26-Nov-13 16:45:23

hi allcahtnicknamesgone - with my gp if you ring between 8 and 9am they usually keep appointments for that same day and actually I have difficulty if I want to pre-book an appointment as they leave most of the allocation till the morning

they have been very thorough and helpful which is good - still waiting for a blood test which I think at this stage would be the most helpful and will tell me one way or the other

have watched some tv with a hot chocolate and consumed a WHOLE packet of pringles and half of the DHs mini twix (6 in total!)- now this is not craving symptoms, it is just plain eyes bigger than your tummy blueskies!! And the DH will not be a happy chap :-(

still when blue and unsure what's happening chocolate is definitely the answer :-)

tillyann2013 Tue 26-Nov-13 16:59:22

Let us know how you get on at docs x

tillyann2013 Tue 26-Nov-13 17:05:28

Sorry, my phone had not refreshed blue skies and I didn't see your update. I hope to hear its good news tomorrow, got everything crossed for you.

Blue just posting to say I have my fingers crossed for you. The reason FMU is the best is because of its concentration (will be more orange/yellow than the rest of the day) meaning it has higher levels of the hormone. It's not until you are further down the line in a pregnancy that you can get a strong positive at any time of the day. On the day I got my bfp I also got a negative in the same afternoon, but I am now 23 weeks. And if your doc didn't wait the full length of time to see if a line appeared then it is not a comparable test. So FX this afternoon is just an anomaly for those reasons and that you will have your second line in the morning

blueskies19 Tue 26-Nov-13 18:22:23

oh thanks so much tillyann2013 and notwithoutmymerkin - that's so encouraging to hear your story and gives me renewed hope - am trying to be good and not get too excited but your words have given me such hope that it could work out as this morning I was so despondant and thought it was history repeating itself going down that same awful path

encouraged that my sore aching boobs have returned - yay - that's such a good sign surely and have been really good and kept to my word and not caved in to do my one last remaining test - this I will save for FMU tomorrow with every last finger and toe crossed for that strong line

so pleased to hear you're 23 weeks - that's great - am really clinging on to the thought that my most positive result was with FMU and the other two were later on in the day and its really reassuring to hear you're now 23 weeks after having had a BFP and BFN on the same day like me

will update in the morning with fx and tx and hopefully a more positive result and line x

cottonwool4brains Tue 26-Nov-13 19:58:42

Hello, reading your thread and got everything crossed for you. I work for the NHS and can tell you categorically that NHS preg tests are very insensitive, and sometimes will not give a line till you are over a week past when af was due. Basically don't worry about the GPS negative test.x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now