Eggcellent Egg Buddies - a thread for those IVFing in November, December and January

(1000 Posts)
eurochick Fri 22-Nov-13 09:20:58

New thread. Welcome back to all the regulars. Welcome to all the newbies - please come and join us if you are IVFing or thinking about. The regulars are a mine of information at this point!

Do you realise that this will take us through a year of egg buddy threads? I believe Karbea started the last one around Xmas time last year for those cycling in 2013 and I immediately jumped on it as I was about to start my first cycle in January. Blimey.

TheBuggerlugs Sun 12-Jan-14 09:30:49

Bugger just realised we need a new thread. I'll go start one in conception but can't link from my phone....

TheBuggerlugs Sun 12-Jan-14 09:24:32

Most our friends and family know. I'm a total open book and they all know about the miscarriages. All are very supportive but only a couple really get it as they've been here themselves. My boss was a wanker when I first told him and now I'm signed off he gets it more but openly admitted he doesn't want me in work unless I'm firing on all cylinders.

Badhairday76 Sun 12-Jan-14 09:20:27

Welcome Time and Seamermaid. Euro - mum doesn't approve of IVF either. She has been no support at all!

time2deal Sun 12-Jan-14 09:15:51

Everyone knows I will need ivf, just not that I'm doing it now. Except my boss who I had to tell. I'm actually taking 'fertility leave'! I discovered I am entitled to 42 hours a year of our with a doctors note.

I'm also quite senior, but I have taken so much time of this year I felt I should be honest with my manager. I've had almost six months off altogether in the last 12 months. He is OK with it, but I think losing patience a little. The problem is the scans! A 10.30 appointment takes out half a day for a five minute job. Very frustrating.

Happy Sunday everyone though. I'm trying to find somewhere for some reflexology this afternoon!

eurochick Sun 12-Jan-14 08:57:40

stars enjoy your drug free day! And then you'll have a day or a few without the responsibility of egg or embryo growing!

eurochick Sun 12-Jan-14 08:56:51

Time I've chosen to be open with most people. Almost everyone has been great and very supportive. The only disappointment has been my own mother. I get the feeling she doesn't "approve" of IVF.

I have not been open with work (although I told one friend there and had to tell one another person who was scheduling me to go on a business trip abroad around when I was expecting EC over the summer and trying to guess the dates was stressing me out). But no one "officially" knows. I've just entered appointments as sick leave or made up the time at the other end of the say. I put down a couple of the ECs as annual leave. I'm reasonably senior so thankfully I don't have anyone looking over my shoulder. As long as I meet deadlines no one really monitors what I am up to.

time2deal Sun 12-Jan-14 08:39:21

stars which clinic are you at? Enjoy the drug free day! I presume your friends know what you are here for.
How do you all deal with the telling friends/family/work issue? I've not even really told my family this time after last times mid cycle cancellation (and me being a complete mess). Normally I'm a pretty open book - I even did a blog about the cancer, but this is somehow harder.

starsandmoonandback Sun 12-Jan-14 07:36:34

Welcome to time and sea grin

I always thought EC was no make up, no perfumes... But can't remember being told anything for ET. I think I've worn make up for EC but left others out. I have always had a bath the night before EC so I'm not freshly showered with perfume soap on the actual day!!

Brooker, I had a couple of short reflexology sessions before this cycle, as a friend wanted to do it for me! It was my first time and I really liked it. It can be painful in parts tho can't it?! She focused on my reproductive organs and about an hour afterwards and for the evening I could feel twinges in my ovaries! I was quite impressed! I'd hoped for a session during Stimms, but couldn't make it work. Enjoy yours smile

I've triggered! It's my DRUG FREE day woohoo! Off to London today to have lunch with friends and stay over ready for 8.30 start at clinic. So pleased my triggers didn't hurt like those nasty last morning injections. I ate about 6 min chocolate rolls afterwards to reward myself grinsmilegrin

starsandmoonandback Sun 12-Jan-14 07:26:00

Bugs, oh! I've been using lavender body wash whilst stimming! I had no idea it was bad?! shock

BrookerC Sun 12-Jan-14 01:26:08

Welcome seamaid. We take some keeping up with grin. Congrats on being PUPO!

BrookerC Sun 12-Jan-14 01:12:01

bunny great news on the Fab Four!
val I was on 300 gonal F (old duffer)
Welcome time. Sounds like you've had a tough time of it. Good luck with this cycle smile
stars looking forward to hearing about EC next week!
Before we know it we'll have a few PUPO's on here. Hoorah!
thoughtful thinking of you
The no perfume (& deodorant - yuck) is an instruction for EC at my clinic. ET is very straight forward in comparison to EC & all over & done with before you know it. Mild abdominal discomfort afterwards but that's it. The full bladder is the worst part by far but compared with what you go through to get there it's a breeze.

AFM - AF arrived late on on Friday. Booked scratch for day 24 then FET mid Feb if the one embie thaws. Had my first reflexology session today. Anyone else tried it? My bladder is in good condition apparently - she could tell I drink loads of water!

seamermaid Sun 12-Jan-14 00:28:38

Hi ladies, I have attempted to join before... this thread moves v quickly so I am trying again. smile

I am currently in my 2ww after my 1st ivf. I have been TTC for more than 4 years. Just turned 36 & DH is 40. Unexplained infertility until ARGC told me I had high cytokines. There was a delay of around 7 months of treating this before I could cycle. I hope I can join you...

Buggerlugs Re perfume - I was told this wasn't allowed during EC or ET (especially ET).
I think lavendar during DR and stimms is okay. I used it on my pillow during both.

Are any of your ladies taking gestone injections? I find it okay when it's going in but afterwards it's really feels like something has battered me in the backside. sad

eurochick Sun 12-Jan-14 00:23:13

twink my clinic also said no deoderant or perfume/aftershave for ET.

time you have been through an incredible amount. I hope this is it for you.

bugs I wouldn't worry - it's just a little on bedding and you are not stimming yet.

Bunnygirlie Sat 11-Jan-14 23:42:21

Will avoid perfume anyway, have found a blog that mentions avoiding it too! Thanks twink

Oops bug is the anything that is safe for us to do! I really want a nice relaxing bubble bath but of course I'm not allowed one for a few weeks sad

time it's weird, I don't feel as stressed or worried as I thought I would be. I guess because theres nothing I can do now to change things, I can just hope that whatever they put back wants to stay and grow smile
EC was Thursday and they told me then how many they had collected, Friday morning I had a call and the another one Friday afternoon. Should get an update tomorrow morning to advise when transfer will be as long as all ok.

time2deal Sat 11-Jan-14 23:33:47

HA! hard as butter I'd say. And a bit squishy. smile

buggerlugs Dr Google is inconclusive on lavender, so I'd expect pre ivf it's probably ok. Good excuse to have nice clean sheets though!

TheBuggerlugs Sat 11-Jan-14 22:53:04

OH FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.

Just put some Boots sleep therapy pillow spray onto my bedding to help me sleep tonight and then (after spraying) read the contents. It contains lavender oil which a quick google tells me is a huge no no during IVF. I'm not starting stimms until Friday so I'll wash the bedding tomorrow and hope it will be ok.

TheBuggerlugs Sat 11-Jan-14 22:32:22

Gosh time you've had one hell of a journey. You must be hard as nails.

I think the no perfume thing is for EC. I'm sure the clinic will clarify if you call them.

time2deal Sat 11-Jan-14 21:59:40

Bunny how are you coping with the last few days - I see you had EC earlier in the week. Do you hear from the clinic every day as to how the embryos are going?

twinklestar2 Sat 11-Jan-14 21:57:34

Think the embryos don't like it - you may need to double check that with someone! It was def on my form but can't sure whether it was for ET or EC.

Bunnygirlie Sat 11-Jan-14 21:50:09

time oh what a journey you have had, FX this is the one for you

twink why no perfume?

time2deal Sat 11-Jan-14 21:40:37

That sounds a good idea actually! I'm off to calculate how much I should have. Does anyone use the menopur multidose 1200 thingy? I always seem to have too much left over, and I'm generous with my measurements.

vallinnapod Sat 11-Jan-14 21:28:47

I had to make myself a spreadsheet I am on so much and I am a nerd

If only our future children had any idea of what we go through smile

time2deal Sat 11-Jan-14 21:14:37

85 minutes?? I meant 115mins! This menopur has clearly messed up my mind! I meant all but the last five minutes was poking about.

Speaking of losing my mind, I freaked out today when I really couldn't work out how much menopur I should have left.. and why there was a full box still in the fridge. Had I collected the last one or not? Or had I left one at work... all was well, but seriously my mind doesn't seem to be operating at the moment.

time2deal Sat 11-Jan-14 21:08:18

The ET shouldn't take that long next time (I hope!!). It was basically 85 minutes of poking about trying to find the canal, and then 5 minutes of the doctor almost high fiving as he was so pleased with himself for finding it! I was well gone on the gas and air at that stage. He has literally drawn himself a map for next time. ;)
It was worth it though, previous doctors gave us and hence the cycle was cancelled. This doctor is trying to prove that the NHS is better than the private clinic I was at before I think!

I will have a stitch put in if it works I think. Called a cerclage. I had one before but they took it out, I was having trouble having periods, but I think they would put it back. Very high risk of late miscarriage though, so I could be put on bedrest as early as 16 weeks. Also means no twins.

But, as with everything on this long process, it feels like you never really know what is coming. Maybe a stitch.. maybe not.. I used to have more faith in doctors, now I feel like there is much more guesswork on their side than I had thought.

vallinnapod Sat 11-Jan-14 20:45:57

Twink - the perfume thingy IS for ET.

Time - you've been through it. I am wincing a bit at a 2hr ET. I hate the clamping and pulling at my cervix for the ET. Tell me to bugger off but I am very intrigued about no cervix. How do they ensure your uterus maintains a pregnancy? Do you need stitches? As I say, being very nosey so don't feel compelled to answer.

This thread is not accepting new messages.