Periods after pill

(45 Posts)
LAM1 Thu 14-Nov-13 16:52:56

Hi,
Just after some real life thoughts rather than averages from google.
I came off the pill after 12 years at the start of September as we are going to TTC. But I haven't had a period since.
So my question is, how long did it take for your periods to return?!

Thanks!

iwantalittleone Mon 02-Dec-13 15:14:05

It's just typical that it has fallen when it has. We had a week off work last week, so ample time to dtd but oh no, lets wait until we're back at work and I have an infection! smile. I've been drinking lots of water and cranberry juice. I've googled and can't find anything to say that they are contagious. I'm just going to have to deal with the pain, i can't pass up this opportunity! How romantic!

blamber Mon 02-Dec-13 13:09:40

that's good news! The opk just measures your oestrogen and LH, this has nothing to do with an infection. It might make dtd a bit more difficult though, from your comfort point of view. Drink loads of water, have a wee before dtd and directly after, Don't worry about sperm leaking out or anything, because most of it quickly swims up the ovaries. I'm not sure about the infection being contagious to your oh though?

iwantalittleone Mon 02-Dec-13 13:02:19

How's everybody getting on?

I've had a flashing smiley OPK today, my first ever. I'm so excited but I have got a bit of a water infection, I've googled to make sure it can't affect the OPK result, apparently not but any views welcome! x

Ive actually started bleeding today! Im not sure if its due to the chinese medicine or not. I only started taking it yestersay! Although I have a feeling it is, but a bleed is a bleed.... hopefully it will give me something to work with for next month smile

Becky I agree with sittingpretty and I think you are lucky you had your af so soon after coming off the pill smile just try to not stress yourself out about it too much. And maybe do what I do... take opks. They will indicate when you are ovulating ;)

sittingpretty25 Sun 24-Nov-13 16:20:23

I think its very different for everyone - I don't think there is a 'normal' here. I've looked and looked and googled this subject and found lots of different answers - a never ending period, no period and something in between!! My answer is - if somethings happening, even if unexpected, it's a good sign that things are going in the right direction!!
We pump our bodies will the pill's artificial hormones for years, then expect our bodies to flip back to normal over night - it's like eating junk food for years and expecting to wake up skinny!!
For me, I'm just tracking my cycles (what I think are cycles anyway) DTD every other day (fun times) and trying but failing not to worry about it. Stress can make it worse.
Upwards and onwards to a happy stress free baby box!! smile

Becky2984 Sun 24-Nov-13 15:45:40

iwantalittleone I have been tempted to do this just for reassurance that ovulation is actually happening! smile

Becky2984 Sun 24-Nov-13 15:21:39

I stopped taking the pill (Yasmin) in September. I got my first period in October, pretty normal albeit slightly heavier but expected. I then got a spotting at the end of the month which developed into another period. And then I started spotting again a couple of weeks later, and its still going. I know people have spoken about the lack of periods after coming off the pill however has anyone had the opposite? Its so frustrating as I do not know whether I am ovulating or not, which is stressing me out!

iwantalittleone Sun 24-Nov-13 14:32:03

I know, I'm just going to use OPK's everyday and hope for a smiley face until I'm back into some sort of routine!

Yaaay! Iwantalittleone! You can start trying! ;)

Iwantalittleone and mundaycakes I still havent had an af although im using chinese medicine to circulate my blood flow they said it will help bring them back on so im naughty... im cheating ;) but as I have no idea when im going to ovulate again im using opks! Ths might help the both of you?

Hi ladies- saw this thread and felt I had to say something. It seems everyone I've spoken to had cycles return to normal. Mine haven't, have varied between 25-42 days over the last 4 months and have been painful to start but actually quite light and short. A bit worried my lining isn't thick enough to support a sticky bean.
Was on trinovum for 10 years so can't really remember what my cycles were like as a teenager!

iwantalittleone Sat 23-Nov-13 17:21:57

I finally stopped my AF! Thank goodness! It's now 32 days after I first started it and as far as I know I haven't ovulated. How am I supposed to work out when I will ovulate or when AF should arrive again!? Grrrrrr, fun and games hey!?

Ok thanks blamber! Hopefully not in a public place! Lol

blamber Fri 22-Nov-13 20:32:15

It can happen any time!

Good luck to you sittingpretty smile does anyone know if when you miss a period do you still count the 4 weeks till the next one? Or can ylu have your af at anytime after coming off the pill?

sittingpretty25 Thu 21-Nov-13 18:22:22

joining in a little late - I came off marvelon in August (on the pill for 6 years). I got so worried about my AF I went to the doc - totally normal to feel sick, cramps, tired ... evil its just the sane BFP's!!
Anyway, I have had spotting bang on when my AF should have been - doc now says this is normal, just very light periods and it can take a few months. He said keep trying you never know.

Also pebble I hope you get your af in 2 weeks smile

Ah good luck iwantalittleone! Lets hope you get your bpf for xmas smile my af was a no show today which is what I thought might happen sad I suppose im just going to have to hang there and try not to be too dissapointed today thanks pebble. Its weird because I get the ovarian pain but like you said iwantalittleone coming off the pill will be sending my hormones crazy!! Ill let you know how I go!!

iwantalittleone Wed 20-Nov-13 21:28:25

Let us know how you get on babyspice, like pebble82 said, don't be disappointed, coming off the pill can send hormones crazy! Fingers crossed I'm coming to the end of a 3 week period, using OPK's everyday, hope I get a smiley face, would love a BFP just in time for xmas!

pebble82 Wed 20-Nov-13 19:03:33

I was on microgynon for 8 years then cerazette for 3 months. No AF yet but pretty convinced I ovulated on Sunday so guessing it'll arrive in about 2 weeks. I don't think it's possible to pinpoint for a while so don't be too disappointed babyspice if it's a no show.

Toots ill let you know how my af is when it decides to show lol I really pray it comes tomorrow as im so excited to start trying again this month!

Iwantalittleone im trying to not stress about it for that reason lol it makes me feel better knowing you had your af that quickly but as for the 3 months our bodys can be naughty cant they!

LAM1 Wed 20-Nov-13 12:48:31

Having read all the replies on here and a couple of other threads, there doesn't rely seem any conection between brands and length of time for that first AF once stopping. Guessing its just so individual which is why the averages are so long. Like others have said its frustrating and worrying but I guess all we can do is sit and wait, and for me find out what my thyroid result actually was...,

iwantalittleone Wed 20-Nov-13 12:24:12

Babyspice - I came off Marvelon at the end of May, had 2 periods then nothing for 3 months. i really think that's because I was stressing about it though!

Toots - Hasn't been too sore. A few cramps but nothing major, it's just never-ending. At least, that's how it feels at the mo!

toots123 Wed 20-Nov-13 12:17:48

Can I ask how your AF is when it eventually comes? Sore?
Or not?

The reason I askbis bexabecause two years ago I changed from the injection to the pill and experienced terrible cramps for around two weeks. If ive ever to experience that again I will consider a sex change grin

Hi all! I came off the pill last month (marvelon) and waiting for my af to show tomorrow. Im abit worried it wont show as im not getting alot of af symptoms and just feel empty.... but reading these messages i can see it could take a while. Its so frustrating isnt it?!? Oh well I suppose all we can do is keep our fingers crossed and hope our bodys give us what we want

happygoluckyinOz Wed 20-Nov-13 05:46:17

Would you mind saying which type of pill you were using? As I'd heard the type you are on can make a difference with when you fertility comes back.... or is this irrelevant?!

I'm on microgynon 30 and have been for years. I came off it in August for around 3 weeks before having a freakout and going back on, didn't have any AF in those 3 weeks (not that I expected to).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now