Pregnancy symptoms but negative tests - what's going on?

(7 Posts)
bluebutterfly36 Sat 02-Nov-13 14:56:37

Hi, I would be really grateful for people's thoughts/advice, or if anyone else has experienced this and what the outcome was... Sorry in advance if TMI...

I had the Mirena coil removed on 21 August (I had it for 6 months) with no apparent after-effects (although I have read loads about the Mirena Crash that lots of women experience). I then had a period on 13 Sept - it lasted 7 days, so a bit longer than usual, but otherwise normal. This was followed by what is, for me, a normal cycle - 32 days, ovulating on day 19-20 (I know this from using a digital urine OPK). We BDed on days 18,19 (but not since then as DH away).

On 15 October, on the date that is normal for my cycle, I had an unusual period - starting with mainly brown blood, then turning to red blood, but only lasting about 3 days with a bit of spotting afterwards. About 10 days later, so for the past 2 weeks or so, I have had really strong pregnancy symptoms - very painful breasts, consistent nausea, stretching stomach cramps, sudden extreme fatigue - all symptoms I have only ever had when pregnant (I have has 2 successful pregnancies and 2 miscarriages). However, I have done 3 pregnancy tests and they have all been negative. I would be over 7 weeks by now so I'm kind of assuming that I can't be pregnant.

I'm guessing these symptoms must be a delayed reaction to the mirena removal? It's just weird that I didn't get an symptoms for the first 2 months after it was removed, they have just suddenly started. I also can't help thinking that some people don't get a BFP until really late on - so I'm trying to work out if the Mirena could have affected my HcG levels. The only other thing is that I haven't ovulated this month (now day 19) and have had no signs of it - no EWCM, no positive OPK, no ovulation pains. The Mirena doesn't affect ovulation - even when it is inside you still ovulate, so I can't work that out either.

It is driving me slightly crazy having all these symptoms and not knowing what is going on. I have an appointment with my GP in 10 days time (the earliest I could get) but would love to hear any advice in the meantime..... Thanks so much!

ClearlyMoo Sun 03-Nov-13 03:29:19

Argh! That sounds very frustrating. Don't have much to offer but didn't want to leave your thread unanswered and at least this will bump it!

When I came off pill I had preggo symptoms before each period inc sore boobs. Turns out was just my body's new take on PMT! The month I was actual pregnant I had no symptoms at all until I was about 6 weeks when the boobies got bigger & sorer and the nauseous feelings hit. I know some people have very late BFP (I was lucky BFP day AF was due) I guess it's a waiting game for you and actually 10 days til GP appt is probably a good thing as you may have had a BFP :-) or AF :-( by then. All the best. Hope someone more useful answers. Xxx

bluebutterfly36 Sun 03-Nov-13 12:24:26

Hi thanks v much for your post, I think you are right, birth control messes with your hormones and gives you new monthly symptoms even after you've stopped using it. I thought I had got away with it but obviously not!

SharpLily Sun 03-Nov-13 12:31:50

Ask a doctor for a blood test - there are reasons why pregnancy tests can be inaccurate for some women. Don't want to say too much but I speak from experience. Check with a doctor.

lessonsintightropes Sun 03-Nov-13 22:45:35

Blue when I came off Mirena and we started TTC I had similar symptoms and I was convinced I was pregnant, but wasn't, so with the tiny sample of 1 it's not impossible! But CM and SL are right, bloodtest at GPs will put your mind at rest one way or another.

treaclesoda Sun 03-Nov-13 22:52:01

I once had pregnancy symptoms but a negative test. My period was several weeks late, and over a period of three weeks, I had six negative tests. Cost me a fortune. Do you know what if turned out to be in the end? Turned out I was pregnant. The first six tests were wrong, but the seventh one was right...

bluebutterfly36 Mon 04-Nov-13 15:21:48

Thanks everyone, I will def ask for a blood test - I was under the impression they were reluctant to do those, but have never actually asked for one!

lessons it is so annoying that the Mirena removal causes these symptoms - very unfair when you're TTC to have fake pregnancy symptoms!

treacle thanks for that, it gives me hope that I might get a BFP eventually. I know what you mean about the cost of tests.

Btw in case it's helpful for anyone, I was using clearblue digital until I read that they aren't very sensitive compared to other brands. I then ordered some early detection ones, which the NHS uses apparently, for £5 for 5 tests from peeonastick.com. They are very basic but do the job - still no BFP but at least I'm not bankrupting myself in the process......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now