Ovarian cyst whilst ttc, anyone with similar experience or success stories please????

(10 Posts)
skybluegirl33 Wed 09-Oct-13 18:15:16

Just got back from GP who suspects that I may have an ovarian cyst and so I'm now awaiting an internal ultrasound. Since ovulating last month I've been experiencing lots of dull lower abdominal cramps, queasiness, loss of appetite, insomnia, and a lot of other symptoms which made me initially think I was pregnant, but after four negative pregnancy tests and a light period, I'm obviously not.

Just wondered if anyone else is going through the same thing or could give any advice? It would be very much appreciated.

The GP has told me to keep ttc in the meantime anyway!

VJONES1985 Wed 09-Oct-13 19:46:29

I have a story of hope about my mum. Due to cysts, she had an ovary removed aged 23 and was told she couldn't have children. However, after ttc for 18 months she had me aged 26 and my sister two years later, both of us naturally.

starkadder Wed 09-Oct-13 19:58:32

I had one; they took it out via laparoscopy (keyhole surgery basically); no issues getting pregnant with DD, who is now 2.

I've heard, actually, that the removal can make you MORE likely to conceive because everything is all nice and cleaned up in there smile.

I think maybe if I were you I'd wait till they've done the scan before ttc though because at one point I was pregnant with the cyst (had an unrelated early miscarriage) and one of the concerns was what would happen as the baby got bigger and squashed the cyst iykwim.

Good luck!

Shenanagins Wed 09-Oct-13 20:47:02

I had no problems conceiving. Whilst waiting for my ultrasound i got pregnant and had my 12 week scan. Others has since vanished (3 scans later).

skybluegirl33 Wed 09-Oct-13 21:14:22

Thanks for all of your stories and advice,will definitely take them all on board!
I now just have to arrange the internal ultrasound at a time to avoid my periods however my GP did say to me that to still go for the scan even if I think I may be pregnant as it won't do any harm or damage to the potential foetus. The scan I am having is one the would be used to detect very early pregnancy before the usual 12 week scan.

poorbuthappy Wed 09-Oct-13 21:18:02

Mine was found at my 12 week scan. It grew alongside dd1 and was eventually removed when she was 6 months old. Apparently it weighed 4lb and was the size of a watermelon.
I also lost my ovary and Fallopian tube.
Fast forward 3 years and it took me 6 months to conceive...id twins.
grin

Best of luck.

lunar1 Wed 09-Oct-13 21:23:11

I had one which was prob caused by fertility drugs. It was huge and pregnancy was painful. They kept an eye on it and if I needed a section would have removed it at delivery.

It was removed at 6 months pp.

jerryfudd Wed 09-Oct-13 21:36:20

Mine was found during investigations following positive pregnancy tests but not being pregnant - they can apparently cause false positives. It was removed laparoscopicly (sp?). Had further investigations and as a result of these findings and some pre-existing issues, told chances of naturally conceiving "next to zero" and referred straight for ivf. Thankfully first go successful and when they (yes it was twins) were one I found out I was naturally pregnant with our third!

Good luck

skybluegirl33 Wed 09-Oct-13 21:39:18

Thanks, you've all given me hope that I can get pregnant but will bear in mind that if the cyst/s don't naturally go, I may be looking at surgery at some point.

As long as I know what possibilities may arise, I can move on and deal with it when it happens.

Sam100 Thu 10-Oct-13 00:32:02

I had cysts and spent 18 months ttc before getting pregnant with dc1, now have 3. Friend had loads of cysts which did not respond to clomid so she had op called ovarian drill to eliminate them. She then had 2 dc in quick succession. It is amazing what can be done - so keep trying and keep hopeful. Best wishes - I remember how hard it was waiting each month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now