Short luteal phase - GP was very dismissive!

(31 Posts)
Sparkle9 Mon 23-Sep-13 18:27:17

I've posted before about my cycle problems since coming off the pill. Basically I've been having cycles of varying length but all have been longer than average. Blood tests, OPKs and an ultrasound have shown ovulation (and normal ovaries). BUT I have been experiencing very short luteal phases of about 7 days.

I initially had a sympathetic GP who referred me for the blood tests and ultrasounds but this GP is no longer at the surgery. So I saw a new one today and he was very dismissive. Basically lectured me on how conception worked and said that it was all about a sperm hitting an egg and the luteal phase length doesn't matter. I tried asking about how inplantation could possibly take place if my luteal phase was too short but I got nowhere.

I'm currently 7dpo and just waiting for AF to show up. I'm delighted that it hasn't arrived yet! But is the GP right that short luteal phase means nothing really?? He even invited me to bring in medical journals showing evidence and we could discuss it!

Sparkle9 Sat 05-Oct-13 15:44:13

The dismissive GP just said to keep DTD and not worry about the luteal phase because it doesn't affect anything. Grrr. I'm seeing another GP next week.

The private clinic emailed me back and said that there was little evidence regarding treating LPD and some controversy over whether or not it exists. However they recommend checking my tubes and DP sperm and they could prescribe progesterone pessaries. I emailed to ask for a guide to cost but haven't heard back yet.

Totesamazeballs Sat 05-Oct-13 17:56:26

I just don't understand how they could question its existence? I am sure it is possible to get pregnant with a short LP and there will be people on here who managed, but a luteal phase half the length of a normal healthy one isn't going to help your chances and I felt for me it was hindering the process.

How long have you been trying? I had the dye in the tubes thing before DS and although there was no blockage, we did fall a few months later. People say sometimes it just helps to flush the system out. You can get it on the NHS as part of their general fertility investigations.

Also, it is a good idea to get DPs sperm checked. We too often assume we are the problem! But again, you can get this on the. NHS too if you have been trying for long enough.

I saw your other post about your thyroid suspicions. I too have a basal temp that matches yours but my thyroid never came up as abnormal fortunately. It certainly can be an indicator though.

I really sympathise with your frustrations. I have been there and felt absolutely miserable and stressed with it. The first time round I didn't even have a short LP and for no obvious reason it took us 18 months to conceive.

The progesterone pessaries cost us around £80 for a three month subscription.

Sparkle9 Tue 08-Oct-13 20:40:33

Thyroid TSH were normal. This was tested in first blood test but just wasn't on the copy I got. GP showed me on the screen though.

This GP was lovely. She listened to me ranting about short luteal phase and was appropriately unhappy with me having the cycles I am having. I was so relieved! She has referred me to a fertility clinic with about a 3 week wait. DP will have to come too so my next challenge is persuading him to give a sample. He is not at all keen on doctors, hospitals etc!

Totesamazeballs Tue 08-Oct-13 20:57:12

Glad you are making some headway. Good luck!

Sparkle9 Tue 08-Oct-13 21:48:56

Thanks Totes. I really appreciate your replies.

blamber Wed 09-Oct-13 13:54:07

That's really positive, and the wait isn't too long. Hope they will be helpful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now