Awful sperm test results

(9 Posts)
Timpani Tue 24-Sep-13 20:32:38

Yes liquorice. He had to do another to confirm and then did another one that was tested in a different lab (embryology as opposed to general pathology). We got to see them swimming in that one which was nice.

They said there was no point doing anything else other than icsi as it's the only option for crap sperm really. They suggested he did things to improve his count and it might work, but when we came to do the icsi 9 months later it was just as bad as ever! So nothing seemed to improve it so it definitely doesn't always work but it's definitely worth a shot while you're waiting for the treatment.

I also know someone who's having baby number 2 naturally after 6 failed ICSI's!

Good luck!

GladitsnotJustMe Tue 24-Sep-13 14:54:49

Sorry for your difficult news Liquorice

There are all kinds of health choices your DP can make to improve his sperm quality, such as diet, alcohol, smoking, vitamin supplements, not wearing tight pants (!!) etc and apparently it takes a few months for any changes he makes now to show up in his sperm.

Good luck

Liquoriceallsort Tue 24-Sep-13 10:02:41

I thought maybe because it was so bad they hadn't offered a second. I will get him to request a repeat.

Glad your dh was fine in the end.

PuppyMummy Tue 24-Sep-13 06:52:26

licorice They should be doing more than one test if the first is not 'normal'

Slightly different but my OH first test showed low morphology, second test normal and then a third also normal.

Liquoriceallsort Mon 23-Sep-13 20:21:32

Wow they are both amazing stories!

Timpani many congratulations. Is ICSI what they put you on straight away? Did your dh have to do more than one sperm test?

kerala Mon 23-Sep-13 20:04:18

My friends DH told he would never father children. They now have 3 DC.

Timpani Mon 23-Sep-13 20:03:39

Yes!

We didn't have quite a bad a result as that but it was pretty crap on all counts. We had icsi. For icsi you just need one motile sperm per egg, so with 90, that's loads!

It worked first time for us and we have DS! And then, when DS was just over one we found out I was pregnant naturally....

Miracles can and do happen, whether through assisted reproduction of naturally after all. Good luck.

Liquoriceallsort Mon 23-Sep-13 19:56:52

Bump

Liquoriceallsort Mon 23-Sep-13 16:34:27

Hello,

Am after a bit of advice please.

DH had his sperm analysis back and they said upon first inspection they found no sperm but after a few minutes they found 90 motile (sp?) sperm in 10 micro litres. He is classed as 'very low' but I am guessing even that is optimistic?

We have been advised to go straight for assisted fertility with sperm freezing as a back-up.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Any positive stories?! I have been doing some research but its all a bit of a mind boggle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now