Any other newbies out there???

(258 Posts)
tinaw20 Thu 19-Sep-13 20:41:39

This is all so new & scary to me so just looking for people I can chat to who know as fewof the abbreviations as me and are going through all the same scary stuff for the first time!! Either that or some pro's who don't mind my million questions!!

I'm very early stages as in body still coming off the contraceptive pill so it might be a while til a get my BFP (I do know that one!!) so might need some chums in the meantime!

sittingpretty25 Sun 27-Oct-13 13:50:13

Well I've finally got a BFP ... only for a kidney infection ... goody. At least I know why I feel so yucky!
Still waiting for AF cd52 sad

SaraRB123 Sun 27-Oct-13 21:23:20

Hi everyone, hope you don't mind me joining in!! I'm also very new, I'm 26 and my partner is 32, we've been together for 10 years and I have literally just come off the pill this weekend. This will be our first baby (if and when if happens- fingers crossed!) and although I'm so excited, after reading horror stories of it not happening very easily after being on the pill, I'm terrified too!! Would love some friends to just talk this stuff through with xx

nolly3 Mon 28-Oct-13 08:51:37

Thanks Broody and Barmy... sorry to hear about your delayed AF Sittingpretty. I had exactly the same thing - 4 days late with all the symptoms. Never mind - chin up, new cycle. plus, it's getting darker in the evenings now so going to bed earlier than ever ;)

Hey Sara, re coming off pill, I know peeps who have conceived first month off, so you never know! good luck...& you Camsie

sittingpretty25 Mon 28-Oct-13 13:19:25

Thanks nolly3 feeling pretty sorry for myself!

sarahrb123 I'm 25, my DH is 27 this will be our first too! I came off the pill end of august, had normal withdrawl bleed beginning of september, and I'm still waiting for AF since then! My doc said its nothing to worry about, its perfectly normal, and that you can still ovulate. His advice was give it three months from coming off the pill, it you still aren't regular or pregnant come back. So, Iv cheapy HPT's to do once a week and we DTD every other day...FC!! (and yes nolly3 the darker nights are sure to help ;))

BecauseIsaidS0 Mon 28-Oct-13 15:18:24

sittingpretty25, at least now that you know it's an infection you can get it sorted! (trying to find the silver lining here)

SaraRB123 Mon 28-Oct-13 16:43:09

I hope it happens soon - honestly, its all I can think about?! I have always been very regular before the pill, so hoping I regain that regularity post pill!! Nolly - here's hoping that will be me!! That would just be fab! Any advice on pregnancy tests and ovulation sticks? My friend has recommended having a stock of cheapo ones in the house ready to pee on in case...but not sure about that - tempting fate?! And heard lots about ovulation sticks and apps etc but not really sure about them - or even how they work? Like I said I'm VERY new to this - sorry for the hundred questions, and I have no idea about abbreviations yet so please bear with me :-) xx

rosiegal Mon 28-Oct-13 16:59:34

Hi SaraRB123 You sound exactly like me! I'm 30 and my OH 27, we have decided the time is right so I came off the pill (cerazette) 19th September and am absolutely furious that I'm not yet pregnant. Yes I do know how ridiculous that sounds! I started the pill around age 17 so its been so long since I've had a 'normal' period and there are some real horror stories on here about ttc after the pill. I've just had 5 days of very light bleeding so I'm going to work from that and see what happens. I've also bought some ovulation sticks online but have yet to start using them.

SaraRB123 Mon 28-Oct-13 17:08:06

Hi Rosiegal, you're so funny, I can beat that, I only came off the pill Thursday just gone and furious I'm not pregnant yet!! Ha ha, well, thats kind of a joke, but I'm very impatient, hence me getting advice on OPKs etc, my poor other half thought this would be fun, he's WRONG, it will be very army like!!!!!! xx

sittingpretty25 Tue 29-Oct-13 12:08:49

rosiegal and saraRB123 that's how I was first month - I literally thought DTD once, and wham bam thank you mam... It is so frustrating!

I asked my doc about cheap HPT's or expensive...he said the cheap ones just as accurate - and wait until a few days AFTER your period was due, many say before but you could get a false negative. And, my advice, if you feel yuck (most illnesses have same symptoms as pg) go to the docs cos you might have an infection or something else - like me!

I've got two different types of cheapies, and once I get a positive with one of them, I'll probably do a CB digital - just to have it in writing! I can't wait for it!!

BecauseISaidSo yeah, I'm hoping once it clears up we can get going again! How's things with you?x

Hazelbrowneyes Tue 29-Oct-13 12:29:59

Hello, may I tentatively join? I say tentatively as I’m still not sure when we will start trying.

I took the final pill in this packet this morning and we’re now just making the decision as to whether this is it, the final pill or I take another months worth. I have a doctor’s appointment tonight (about something unrelated) and DH has asked me to speak to him to see if I need to do anything. I think DH is a little bit scared and has said he probably needs me to make the decision but I’d prefer it to be a joint one so if he wants to wait then we will wait.

So, do I need to do anything? I currently take a multivitamin which has Vit A in it – I guess I’d need to stop this as I’ve heard too much Vit A isn’t good? So do I just need to take Folic acid?

My friend mentioned getting an STI check before TTC as she’d read it was a good idea on here or Bounty but I’m not sure it’s necessary?

Will I need to wait until I have my first period before we properly start TTC?

Sorry for all the questions. For a 27yr old woman, I appear to be quite clueless about this sort of thing so I need some advice! blush

BecauseIsaidS0 Tue 29-Oct-13 13:35:22

Welcome Hazel!

An STI check is never amiss, if only for peace of mind. There are some things like chlamydia which if gone undetected could affect your fertility.

As for waiting until your first period...if you've just finished a packet you should get a period now, wouldn't you? Then all you have to do is start DTD and look for signs of ovulation to make sure you don't miss the window. I say "all you have to do" as if it was that easy, but you know what I mean.

Sittingpretty, I'm currently CD12 and DTD-ing every other day, I normally ovulate on day 17 so closer to then we'll start upping the ante! (lol I crack myself up with my own puns). Somehow I don't think it will happen but no point in abstaining I guess...

sittingpretty25 Tue 29-Oct-13 15:53:11

becauseIsaidSO haha! you do make me laugh ;) Few more days and its your 2ww!! eeeckckc smile

Hazelbrowneyes Tue 29-Oct-13 16:26:36

Thanks becauseIsaidSo smile

Exciting times ahead!

bobcatroo Tue 29-Oct-13 17:39:07

Hi everyone, I am a newbie too and to be quite honest this all very new to me. Hubby and I have been married 2.5 yrs now and up until 7 months ago I was on the contraceptive injection (which I bitterly regret). I have yet to have a period so I figure there isn't much chance in me conceiving yet but we thought there would be no harm in trying anyway. I have to say that I really feel way out of my depth here. I've never been one for keeping track of my cycles and I've tried looking for good books, magazines etc and I've even started looking into things I need to buy for a newborn (but ahead of myself I know) and it seems so bewildering. I may be a healthcare professional but this is most defo not my speciality! Please tell me I'm not alone?

SaraRB123 Tue 29-Oct-13 19:09:35

Bobcatroo you are not alone!!! grin I'm very new too- my OH and I have been together almost 10 years and just TTC our first baby. I totally get how you're feeling, as I feel exactly the same so please don't worry xxxx

bobcatroo Wed 30-Oct-13 20:21:53

Ah thank you! I suppose it such an usual feeling you can't really compare it to anything else in life, its like I'm really impatient, excited, confused all rolled into one!xx

SaraRB123 Thu 31-Oct-13 07:05:33

Bobcatroo there's nothing else that could possibly make you feel like this I don't think! It's just a crazy time isn't it. How long have you been ttc? Xx

NurseSapphire Thu 31-Oct-13 09:48:54

Hey! I'm new here too, find myself laying awake every night lost in a mixture of excitement and ovulation math! xx

nolly3 Thu 31-Oct-13 10:41:33

hi ladies. re pregnancy tests i would just get the cheapest. and, hard as it is, I have now decided that i won't do a test until I'm at least a week late. otherwise i am heading straight to crazytown.

bobcat you are totally not alone. one minute I'm thinking 'omg what am i DOING i can't possibly be a mother i even kill pot plants for christ sake' and the next 'WHY aren't i pregnnt yet the whole WORLD is pregnant except for me WHHYYYYY'. hmm. maybe I'm already in crazytown. oh well.

by the way re vitamins i just take folic acid. Frolic acid ;)

welcome nursesapphire

Howly Thu 31-Oct-13 10:53:51

Nolly3 I can do better, I almost killed a cactus at university, my DM had to rescue it! I am making progress though I have an Easter plant that's still alive after 3 years and an orchid that still flowers!

I'm only on cycle 1 but do I bother getting an ovulation test yet, I use the menstruation and ovulation calendar app which predicts your most fertile days depending on the days you have your period but mine are a little all over the place still, I came off the pill in January, should my periods be normal by now?

nolly3 Thu 31-Oct-13 11:01:37

lol, howly! my orchid thrives on neglect. until they die, anyway.

I think it can take quite a long time for cycles to normalise (a year) but that doesn't mean you can't get pregnant. I never got OPKs to work though, they just tell me to have sex immediately.

bobcatroo Thu 31-Oct-13 20:19:23

well im glad I'm not the only one going feeling that way! We have literally just started TTC but as I said earlier, I think I still have the dreaded depo in my system so I'm trying not to get too excited.

I wouldn't say that I don't feel ready to become a parent but I seem to have got to that stage in life where my facebook news feed is full of weddings (done that), dogs/cats/other pets that require long term commitment (i've got a little rescue dog) and baby scans/photos/kids parties. I've yet to get to the latter!

LosingHope123 Fri 01-Nov-13 10:24:15

I'm new to this too! Can't figure out how to be alerted when a new message is posted in a forum I'm watching though - grr!

DH and I have been trying for nearly 2 years with a missed miscarriage six months in (found out at 12 week scan after 9 solid weeks of throwing up) which has totally traumatised me. Now we have been trying again for over a year and I'm so down/angry/jealous/sad that it's not happening. We have had tests and there's nothing wrong which weirdly is even more frustrating. I am only 30 but I'm not sure how much more I can take of it. IVF has been mentioned to me but I feel too young. On the other hand, it might be my ticket out of this misery! But what if it doesn't work? That'll be all my options used up! Am totally messed up but it's nice to feel like I"m not alone when I come on here. Hopefully we can all get through it together smile xxxx

tinaw20 Sun 03-Nov-13 17:05:09

Hey all! Been a while so thought I'd see how everyone's getting on? Still no further forward for me sad on CD19 of my second month ttc and have been using opk's every day to see if/when O is occurring and..... BFN! I didn't ovulate at all last month either according to the tests so I'm wondering if maybe I do it only for a very short time during the night and that's how I keep missing it?! Anyway, have been dtd every other day for weeks now so hoping that works even with no sign of O...hmm

barmybunting Sun 03-Nov-13 19:16:00

Hi tina - do you mean you don't get a positive opk or via tests at the Dr? If opks, I have heard that some brands just don't work for some people.

I'm on cycle 2 now as well. AF arrived 5 days early for the last month which got me a tad confused but oh well!

Fingers crossed for this one for everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now