Conception vitamins/supplements

(11 Posts)
Nottalotta Mon 09-Sep-13 17:18:15

Hi, can anyone recommend what to take? I started out with some own brand folic acid then bought two packs of Seven Seas 'trying for a baby'. I thought i would remember to take them more as they are in a pill style packet and marked with days. I was right, i've only missed one and have almost finished the second pack.

However, (tmi alert) i have been very constipated and today am in pain in my tummy as a result. I looked at the pack and notice that they contain iron. That'll be why then!

Is it ok to just take folic acid when ttc and what is the correct dose? Or do you have any other recommendations that don't contain iron!!

Nottalotta Tue 10-Sep-13 07:12:57

Anyone?

charleylarlie Tue 10-Sep-13 09:05:56

I can't speak for anybody else, but I only take the folic acid. I've often wondered if I should take another vitamin as well, just for peace of mind as much as anything, but I don't think it's necessary. X

ShesSoMean Tue 10-Sep-13 12:53:07

I look the Seven Seas ones for one month and didn't feel very well on them - similar symptoms to what you describe. I now take Pregnacare Conception and have done for the last (almost) 4 months. I feel fine on them and my skin and nails have definitely benefited from the extra vits!

Nottalotta Tue 10-Sep-13 13:21:48

Might try those then - do you know if they iron in them?

ShesSoMean Tue 10-Sep-13 13:50:54

Yes they do. If you google them you will be able to find an ingredient list on their website, it's probably worth comparing the list against the ingredients of the ones you already take. I thought I'd have side effects with the Pregnacare ones (as I thought it was the iron causing the problems) but have been fine. I guess everyone is different! Good luck & I hope you find some that work out for you.

SinkyMalinks Tue 10-Sep-13 14:29:40

Lloyds chemist own pregnancy vitamins don't have iron. But I only took folic acid till got bfp

SinkyMalinks Tue 10-Sep-13 14:30:44

Lloyds chemist own pregnancy vitamins don't have iron. But I only took folic acid till got bfp

Cupcake1985 Thu 12-Sep-13 21:10:06

I take santatogen ones as I was on them anyway then read on another thread they had something in pregnacare didn't. Don't ask me what is was but it made me decide when I get a bfp ill stick with the same brand but buy the ones that also have omega 3 in. Think it's personal preference - whichever makes you not feel ill! People seem to feel ill with certain brands but they all have different % in which must react differently with different people so just try something until your happy.

onelifeonechance Fri 13-Sep-13 10:04:42

Hi all - having a nose at all the threads and saw your post sinkymalinks - just wanted to say that are you aware that it is recommended you take folic acid for the first 12 weeks of pregnancy? Not sure where you're up to or if i've got the wrong end of the stick so sorry if it's not relevant but just in case you didn't know thought i'd say smile

Good luck all

RaRaZ Fri 13-Sep-13 11:19:52

I've been taking boots pre-conception ones. They're pretty good - and cheap smile. But interestingly, I couldn't get them last time as they were out of stock, and I ended up with the Seven Seas ones. I'd never thought it might be down to them, but I've been feeling a bit off roughly since I started taking them too...and I've had abdo pains a few times. Maybe there's something about them that doesn't agree with some people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now