Agnus Castus - Your Experience Please?

(14 Posts)
iwantalittleone Mon 09-Sep-13 13:47:31

Hi

I've not had AF for 67 days now (came off the pill end of May, had 2 AF's, now nothing!) and have been looking at ways to try and "kick start" things again. I'm TTC and all very frustrating without an AF to time things!

I'm really interested in learning about your experience with Agnus Castus, if you have one?

Self medicating with AC can make some underlying hormonal problems worse so I would not blithely go to Holland and Barrett. If you do want to proceed I would urge you to seek the advice of a medically qualified herbalist beforehand re dosages. Natural does not always mean safe and some of these herbs can be powerful.

First and foremost though you need a diagnosis. Have you as yet been to the GP, this person should now do blood tests to see what your hormone levels are like. You particularly need a day 2 test done (as your periods are non existant these tests can actually be done according to calendar days) to check and compare your LH level against that of your FSH level. With PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) for instance the level of LH exceeds that of FSH.

Also you should have blood tests done to see if there are any problems with the thyroid gland as this can also cause periods to become absent.

A normal cycle is a cycle length of between 21 and 35 days or with less than 4 days of variation from month to month. It is likely that you are not currently ovulating regularly. You need to find out why that is first and foremost so seek a diagnosis.

iwantalittleone Mon 09-Sep-13 15:18:07

Thanks for your reply Atilla. I have been to the doctor but he told me to come back if I miss 3 periods but I'm worried that I will be fobbed off as I'm only 24 and I imagine his message will be "wait and see". It's really starting to stress me out, I've only ever wanted to be a mum, my OH and I finally decided it was the right time and now I'm not even having AF :-(

If you can see another GP within the practice do so, alternatively change GP practice. GP should have blood tests arranged.

iwantalittleone Mon 09-Sep-13 15:30:05

I have been considering changing GP's as I have moved house so maybe this would be the right time. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Victoria2002 Mon 09-Sep-13 21:17:39

I tried it, plus evening primrose and b vitamins, plus am breast feeding so was already taking pregnacare breast feeding with omega...and I felt it gave me period type cramps. I dropped the agnus Castus and felt fine again and my AF returned, have a had 3 normal cycles but the 4th was very odd (for me) AF only 7 days post ovulation and lasted TWO WEEKS. So I guess haven't settled into a pattern yet!

iwantalittleone Tue 10-Sep-13 17:58:08

Hi Victoria. So do you think the AF arrived because you stopped AC? At least AF arrived,whatever prompted it! I just need something to kick start me into action as I'm getting so frustrated with nothing going on down there.

Victoria2002 Wed 11-Sep-13 13:14:59

I only tried AC for a few days as it was making me feel wierd, so doubt it made a difference. Maybe the evening primrose and B vitamins made the difference, or maybe just feeding less gradually. Ds won't take a bottle since he was 8m or so, so he just cut down on bf at his own pace as he gradually ate more, plus will drink milkshakes/smoothies in the afternoon. Now at 13m he only feeds once or twice in 24hrs. My advice would be offer water/snack whenever possible but don't force it too much, or if your baby will drink formula then gradually substitute feeds. Also look into the other supplements mentioned. Good luck!

Victoria2002 Wed 11-Sep-13 14:05:54

Apologies as most of my last post was nonsense! An on two threads at once and getting muddled! Do press your doctor for diagnosis, and look into the supplements, and good luck!

wrighty2010 Wed 11-Sep-13 20:02:13

Hi, I read a post about AC on another forum from a natural fertility expert it may be worth contacting her as she seems quite informed? The link to the post if it helps is http://forum.prideangel.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=581 Hope this helps, good luck xxx

iwantalittleone Thu 12-Sep-13 11:27:29

Thanks v much Wrighty! x

RaRaZ Thu 12-Sep-13 16:33:47

I swear by AC for easing cramps and regulating my cycle - but it doesn't work for everyone. I guess nothing does. I'd suggest you try it, but not right away: do as Atilla says and go and pester your GP. A cycle that long is not normal and you're not really going to be able to ttc with cycles like that. It shouldn't matter that you're only 24 - you're not having normal cycles and that needs investigating.

iwantalittleone Thu 12-Sep-13 19:10:14

How irregular were your cycles before taking AC? The doc has said come back after missing 3 periods so another couple of weeks to wait :/

RaRaZ Thu 12-Sep-13 23:30:57

Well, I've taken it for cramps for several years. A couple of years back, I was having my most irregular cycles. Worst I had was three totally separate bleeds in five and a half weeks and going without a bleed for 3/4 months - and everything inbetween! I've been a lot better of late though. I started taking AC daily earlier this year. I've had a TOP, D&C, MC, D&C in that order, so I'm only on my fourth proper cycle since December, but they're becoming more even and my last three have been exactly the same length.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now