Period 4/5 days early - can anyone help?

(11 Posts)
RaRaZ Sat 07-Sep-13 19:58:51

Just that really. It's not a short cycle per se as I know when I ovulated (from blood tests). My period wasn't expected till Tuesday as I always have a LP of 14 days (and AF tends to arrive late on on that day so it's nearly the next day), but I came on this morning. Any idea why? I can't find anything on the internet confused. Thanks in advance. Pretty worried.

willitbe Sun 08-Sep-13 07:12:01

Can I ask why you are worried?

willitbe Sun 08-Sep-13 07:38:35

Sorry I meant what is it you are worried about? Are you concerned about conceiving in general or something specific here, that you are afraid of when you say you are worried?

The blood test confirms ovulation but does not tell you when it happened. It could be that you ovulated earlier than you thought? Some people here would jump in and say it could be implantation bleeding.

I replied to some of your posts last month, I am going to say you seem very stressed and worried about pinpointing when you ovulate and working out your cycle. Stress itself can alter your cycle (not with altering the luteal phase obviously) but it can alter the signs and symptoms beforehand with giving confusing signals regarding cm etc.

I have tracked my cycle for the last 11 years. In that time I have had 3 normal pregnancies and 12 miscarriages. I have been involved in fertility trials for different cycle tracking devices (temping and opk) and had blood tests which confirm ovulation (although with so many pregnancies ovulation was never in doubt!!!) have come to realise what as in-exact science it all is. You can not really exactly know when you have ovulated (although ultrasound scans can show it much better, if you could have them everyday!!!) it is possible to get a good idea of your cycle and know when you have been likely to have ovulated, but I have learnt that sometimes your body just changes, either for that cycle or from that cycle onwards.

I say this to try to help you, please try not to worry.

argylesocks Sun 08-Sep-13 15:20:55

This happens to me two or three times a year. It's normal.

RaRaZ Sun 08-Sep-13 20:33:20

Ok, thanks. Just because I've had a couple of early MCs and I understand that a shortened LP can make these more likely. My LP hasn't been an issue in the cycles I've tracked so far, so I guess I'm just worried in case it becomes a problem? hmm I know I sound like a neurotic idiot.

In my case, the blood tests do show when ovulation occurred - or at least pretty closely: I had three, and ovulation occurred between the first and second according to the progesterone levels. These were taken two days apart, and the result tallied with my rise in temp and the OPK result.

Willitbe: You're very right. I've stressed myself summit chronic over the last few months. I'm getting a lot better now though - honest! It's just I've lost two this year and I'm desperate to get back to where I feel I've been cheated of being - pregnant. This will be our last cycle of 'trying' though I think - after that, to hell with it and what will be will be. Thanks smile

eurochick Sun 08-Sep-13 20:48:07

I've had this twice over the 35 cycles we have been ttc. Both times it was at 8/9dpo - much shorter than my usual luteal phase.

The first time it happened I saw my acu lady 12 hrs before bleeding started and when I next saw her she told me she had written "pregnant?" in her notes during that visit. Both times I had none of my usual PMT symptoms and my boobs were still hurting and my temps up until a few days after bleeding started (so they were in line with my usual cycle length, basically - the only thing that was out of synch was the bleed). Personally, I think they were failed implantation, but I will never know for sure.

I agree with the advice to try to relax if you can though.

RaRaZ Mon 09-Sep-13 10:23:08

Thanks Eurochick. That's a bit disheartening isn't it - to think you/we might have conceived but never managed to make it stick sad. Sigh. I don't mean to be patronising and I hope to manage to avoid it, but I think you're very brave and strong to keep ttc for so long. I guess it's better than the alternative of giving up, but I don't know how you keep doing it. I feel a bit pathetic for being upset at my stage of ttc! flowers

eurochick Mon 09-Sep-13 14:45:39

I actually found it quite encouraging. It is the only sign that something might be happening for me!

RaRaZ Mon 09-Sep-13 14:49:08

Did you? I suppose it's good that you can conceive, but is there anything you can do to prevent failed implantation?

eurochick Mon 09-Sep-13 15:07:18

Well there are issues that can cause implantation failure, but most of the time it's just the body rejecting an embryo that would never have become a baby anyway.

RaRaZ Mon 09-Sep-13 15:33:12

Yeah, that's what I thought. Was just curious as I've been reading that things like hormonal issues, multiple D&Cs, uterine surgery, etc can prevent a proper uterine lining ever being built up again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now