TTC, ultrasound, dominant follicle??

(8 Posts)
Sparkle9 Fri 06-Sep-13 22:23:47

So I've had some very long cycles since coming off the pill in Feb and then some of just over 30 days but with positive OPKs and blood tests showing ovulation just 7-9 days before AF. The GP referred me for an ultrasound to check for suspected PCOS. I had the scan today and the sonographer said that he thought one ovary night be PC but that with a closer look the follicles were too big to be this (PCOS shows as lots of little ones??). He then looked at the other ovary and said that he could see a dominant follicle. He seemed pretty sure that my ovaries don't look PC.

There wasn't time for me to ask too many questions and the scans will take a week or two to reach my GP.

So I'm pleased that PCOS is looking far less likely but I'm still worried about the short luteal phase.

Does anyone know how far away ovulation is when a dominant follicle is observed?

KatAndKit Sat 07-Sep-13 09:10:14

The month i concieved DS i had an ultrasound on day 6 and a dominant follicle was observed. I was testing for ovulation which i believe happened around day 14, certainly no earlier than 13.

eurochick Sat 07-Sep-13 10:24:19

For me, a dominant follicle will usually become obvious a few days to a week before ovulation.

Sparkle9 Sat 07-Sep-13 10:36:33

Hopefully soon then. I'll get the OPKs out! I'm already on CD21 though so it will probably be another cycle with a very short luteal phase. :-(

Sparkle9 Mon 09-Sep-13 18:21:33

CD23 now with the scan showing a dominant follicle on CD20. OPKs still negative though. Hate these long cycles!

When they said "dominant follicle" did they give you any idea of its size? I was on ovulation induction treatment to get my BFP and they usually let me get to about 18mm before telling me to take the trigger shot. If its under 15mm I'd say it has a good few days of growing to do yet.

Sparkle9 Mon 09-Sep-13 21:18:30

Oh bother. He didn't say! And I didn't know to ask. Good to know there could still be some growing days.

Sparkle9 Tue 10-Sep-13 19:48:24

Negative OPK again today...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now