Anyone about to start/just started TTC number 2?

(1001 Posts)
mrsm22 Tue 03-Sep-13 20:35:38

Hi ladies, I am 31 and have one DS already. After my DS I went back on the pill but have decided to stop the pill and start TTC baby number 2 and wondered if anyone was also just about to start trying or just started and we could follow each other and share as we go along. I literally have stopped my pill last week for the 7 day break, and am meant to start taking it again tomorrow but obviously won't be, so I am very literally just starting to try for number two but am very excited! That's why I thought it might be nice to go through it with other people who are also trying. I have heard some people say that after your first baby you are more fertile but I am not sure so I am really not sure how long it will take this time. Does it usually not take as long second time round? It has taken a lot for me to decide for definite that I'd like another as I had an awful time in labour with forceps and 3rd degree tears etc which really scared me and must admit I'm terrified of another scary birth experience.

DuPainDuVinDuFromage Thu 05-Sep-13 15:21:32

mrsm22 I will also be 31 by the end of this month!

I think the second birth is usually much easier and quicker (if you have already had a VB that is) so hopefully you should be fine - obviously we have no idea how it will actually happen until you get to the delivery room! I had an emcs after being induced and not progressing. It took four days from going into hospital to having DD, but most of that was sitting around waiting for things to start happening! So I haven't really got a clue about natural birth...

And in answer to your other question, yes you are waiting for your first proper period post-pill...or a bfp!

TheTruffleHunter Thu 05-Sep-13 15:54:43

Hello everyone, we're just thinking about whether to start ttc again soon, our DD is only 5 months old but we'd love an age gap of around 15-18 months.

Metalhead Thu 05-Sep-13 16:21:06

mrsm22 I was quite traumatised by DD's birth, even though on paper it was a pretty straightforward, textbook delivery. I had her at a birthing centre, without any drugs, but tore quite badly despite doing all the right things (on all fours, controlled pushing etc) and then had to be transferred to hospital for stitching under spinal block. I felt really angry because I felt I'd been made to be believe it was going to be this "magical experience", and in reality it was just the worst experience of my life...

Pencils I don't really know where I am in my cycle as mine are really irregular (anything from 29-42 days over the past year, though the average has been about 35). I thought I should have ovulated beginning of this week, but now I'm not so sure... I've been feeling a bit queasy the last couple of days and am wondering if maybe I ovulated last week and could be pregnant, though I'm trying not to get my hopes up as I was convinced I was last month until AF turned up. If I haven't caught this month then I will definitely try some OPKs next month as the constant calculating and symptom spotting to pinpoint ovulation is driving me crazy!

fifi669 Thu 05-Sep-13 18:17:21

I'm only just finishing with AF so have a couple of weeks of dtd for fun..... Then it gets serious, OPKs and legs in the air!

mrsm22 Thu 05-Sep-13 19:50:07

DuPainDuVinDuFromage - I did have a VB, a very scary one. It all went wrong for me when I got to the hospital. I had got to 5cm at hold on my own and was doing really well but stupidly demanded an epidural when I got to hospital (only because people had terrified me with his painful it gets etc) but it really slowed down my birth and I was in labour for I think it was 28 ish hours and ended up with forceps and episiotomy. Next time round I'd like to have a home birth and try with no pain relief apart from a bit of gas and air. What does everyone think to home births or has anyone had one?

mrsm22 Thu 05-Sep-13 19:51:55

Sorry ladies, what is an OPK?

mrsm22 Thu 05-Sep-13 19:54:01

Metalhead - I also was expecting a beautiful magical experience in childbirth but it was far from it. I'm just so grateful that my DH was born healthy and nothing wrong with him.

mrsm22 Thu 05-Sep-13 20:00:03

Panicmechanic - I don't think you're too old at all. My grandma was 42 when she had my dad and there were no problems at all. I think women are having babies older. In fact I'm only 31 (32 actually later this month) but only one other of my friends has children, everyone else I know wants children but not yet started and many of my friends all same age say they are still not ready.

mrsm22 Thu 05-Sep-13 20:12:46

Windywinston - sorry so many responses now that I didn't get realise I hadn't responded to yours. Your experience of childbirth sounds very frightening so I'm not surprised you're scared of TTC again. I never thought it would be such a frightening thing to give birth but it really is. I envy those people who you hear about who have these really quick 2 hour labours, no rips or tears etc. I wish that could have been me and perhaps I too would have started TTC sooner. My DS will be 2 this Dec so hopefully if it doesn't take too long I will have a nice gap. Will be worrying about childbirth again but surely next time will be better for us?! Have you literally just started TTC like me?

MrsRandom78 Thu 05-Sep-13 20:17:33

Can I join too? OPK says tonight/tomorrow are the times for DH to get lucky! (And hopefully we'll have a bit of luck too!)

mrsm22 Thu 05-Sep-13 20:31:30

Welcome MrsRandom78! How old is your first child?

AFishWithoutABicycle Thu 05-Sep-13 20:54:00

I had a c section last time. Is anyone trying to have a vbac?

CourgetteSmuggler Thu 05-Sep-13 21:12:31

Can I join please?

I'm 23 and DH is 30.
DD has just turned 2 and I had my coil removed in march, went onto cerazette until May and we have just stopped using condoms this month.

Ever since coming of the merina, my cycles have been messed up, ranging from 26-36 for the past few months.

Pre-DD I was 28 days to the dot.

This is out first official month of TTC and I'm on CD31. I'm g

CourgetteSmuggler Thu 05-Sep-13 21:12:47

Stupid phone!

I'm g

CourgetteSmuggler Thu 05-Sep-13 21:13:34

Oh my god!

I'm going to wait until next week to test but I tested 10dpo and got a BFN so not holding out much hope.

MrsRandom78 Thu 05-Sep-13 21:17:53

Hi Mrsm22 - ds will be three in a few weeks (wah!). Would have liked a smaller age gap but circumstances didn't allow. Hoping we can get number 2 n the way before he turns four!!

greeneone12 Thu 05-Sep-13 21:52:19

I would like my 2nd before Dd turns 4 next October. I am on CD 6 so next week it's go go go! I just need to get rid of this cold sad

Just done my zumba class to try and sweat it out!!

Kt1991 Fri 06-Sep-13 07:18:10

Sorry to everyone who have had a loss or difficult time. I have no idea if I ovulate or not as have PCOS and AFs were not regular at all when on the pill. Last Wednesday and yesterday I had awful period like cramps so I've no idea if it was last week or this week if so? If my periods will now be regular I should be due on again about 15/09 so will leave it a couple,of days after that to test. We have a wedding the week after that so would like to know so I know whether to have a few drinks or not! Think I'm getting my hopes up though sad

Metalhead Fri 06-Sep-13 07:57:41

mrsm22 I have two friends who tried for a homebirth with their second but both had to go to hospital because their waters broke and then labour failed to start within the timeframe they give you.

Personally I would never give birth anywhere other than hospital again. I think I'm quite disilussioned with the whole thing, and also have seen too many things go wrong in seemingly straightforward pregnancies among friends, so I'd like to have every doctor available on hand next time! But that's just my personal opinion.

Metalhead Fri 06-Sep-13 08:01:02

And respect greenone for doing zumba with a cold! I've been trying to shake off the mother of all colds for two weeks now and feel absolutely bleurgh because I haven't been doing any running the whole time...

greeneone12 Fri 06-Sep-13 08:52:38

It's not like me at all usually but I have held back at class for months as I was pregnant so while I am not I wanted to go and give it some! Don't feel worse today....but not much better either!

DuPainDuVinDuFromage Fri 06-Sep-13 09:12:15

mrsm22 I was never interested in a home birth even before I needed induction and then a CS - I wanted as much medical assistance on hand as possible as you never know what is going to happen! Sorry you had such a hard time with your DC, I'm sure this time things will go better.

AFish I'm not sure about VBAC or not - I think it's something that I'll only decide on much closer to the time. I kind of hope the decision is taken out of my hands either by needing an ELCS for whatever reason or by going into labour before I can make a decision because it's so hard to know what to do! I'll definitely be reading everything I can get hold of about VBACs...

Charotte31 Fri 06-Sep-13 09:27:25

I'm on day 16, AF due on the 11th. Really hope it doesn't come! I'm very much 28 day cycle. Always have been. Even after having my DD and I also suffered 2 Mc's but always went back to my normal 28 day cycle so lucky in that way!

greeneone12 Fri 06-Sep-13 12:28:11

Sorry for your losses sad what approach have you been taking? Every other day? Really in danger of making this all far tok stressful. With my last two pregnancies we did it on day of ovulation and one other day as we were successful. Scared it will be harder this time.

Fingers crossed AF doesn't arrive!!

greeneone12 Fri 06-Sep-13 12:29:07

too

This thread is not accepting new messages.