First Month

(87 Posts)
keepswimming1 Thu 01-Aug-13 14:22:21

Hi everyone,

I have just joined the site, and would love to hear your stories.

I came off the pill in May, and started trying this month, how do you calm yourself in not getting your hopes up for AF not to arrives (she's due any where between tomorrow and Sunday)

I don't like waiting lol

ArkadyRose Thu 01-Aug-13 22:23:20

Ovulation doesn't always happen 14 days after your last period started; if you have a short cycle then it can happen sooner - for instance, I have a 26-day cycle, so I ovulate on CD12. However AF always comes 14 days after ovulation. Sperm can live in the body for up to 5 days, but the egg only survives for about 12-48 hours after ovulation - so your fertile window is from 5 days pre-ovulation to 2 days after.

Some women can feel when they ovulate - they get a shart pain or discomfort on one side, called mittelschmerz. The best way to tell is by checking cervical mucus however; a few days before you ovulate it turns clear and resembles uncooked egg-white - it's what people mean when you see them referring to ewcm, meaning egg-white cervical mucus. On the day of ovulation it goes very watery and runny. The moment your fertile window is up, it turns thick and creamy; the moment you see that, you know your window of opportunity is up. If you've been dtd during your fertile period, you're now into the 2ww - 2-week wait. 14 days post-ovulation either AF will start, or you'll get a positive if you poas (pee on a stick - take a pregnancy test).

Hope that all helps. :-)

ArkadyRose Thu 01-Aug-13 22:25:50

If you're not used to checking your cervical mucus and aren't sure what you're looking for, you might find this helpful.

ItalianWiking84 Thu 01-Aug-13 23:07:11

Arkadyrose thank you smile made sense so I better start checking that as well, tho I only notice that I get the thick sticky one sad hoping its because I haven't noticed the other ones...
But then I have a lot more knowledge for next month and then it's just trying again
Thanks again for great help smile

ItalianWiking84 Thu 01-Aug-13 23:09:07

Vjones: hormone surge is yet another unfamiliar w

ItalianWiking84 Thu 01-Aug-13 23:09:46

Sorry big fingers, meant to say I hope it does the trick for you smile

2kidsintow Thu 01-Aug-13 23:11:38

You can get cheapy poas ovulation tests online that will tell you when you are due to ovulate. I found these helpful as I'm a control freak and used them when trying for DD1 and DD2.

I found that although I had a 'classic' 28 day cycle, I ovulated quite late.

I was one of the lucky ones and managed to catch on either the first or second month of trying.

Good luck. Have fun trying!

ItalianWiking84 Fri 02-Aug-13 07:49:16

2kidsintow: I will go on Amazon tonight and see if I can find those sticks, thanks smile

keepswimming1 Fri 02-Aug-13 09:17:31

VJones - Good luck and have a lovely holiday x
AF arrived for me this morning. how disappointing!!

VJONES1985 Fri 02-Aug-13 09:37:21

And me!

keepswimming1 Fri 02-Aug-13 10:15:45

Its so disappointing - I didn't expect to be so gutted, after all it was my first month.

VJONES1985 Fri 02-Aug-13 10:22:49

It's totally natural to feel that way. I swing from thinking it's gonna take ages to conceive to doing it really quickly and I have to cling onto something because I'm a control freak. I will feel exactly the same.

ItalianWiking84 Fri 02-Aug-13 10:26:21

keepswimming1- Sorry to hear that AF came, but I am sure next month will be your month

VJONES1985- Your going on holiday next week, right? Hopefully AF will be gone soon and you can enjoy your holiday and get some rest and relax smile

keepswimming1 Fri 02-Aug-13 10:31:17

I guess on the positive note - af arrived bang on time, so I should be happy that after 12yrs on the pill I am regular.
My oh probably wont be in the country for my next O so will have to wait a little longer now. I think his due to leave a week before O day.

Italian - how long you been trying?

VJONES1985 Fri 02-Aug-13 10:32:19

Yep, AF lasts two or three days so am looking forward to week one of ttc.

However, is it normal to be such a bundle of mixed emotion?? I'm excited but also so anxious and sometimes want to cry - I keep thinking of all the things I should do to increase our chances but at the same time am trying to stay relaxed. If I don't fall pregnant in a few months I will worry that we're doing something wrong or I've got something wrong with me sad

keepswimming1 Fri 02-Aug-13 10:47:11

Vjones – how long have you been trying? And did you you come off the pill?
My hormones are all over the place, I stopped taking the pill in May. I read somewhere that 80% of people trying will conceive in the first year, so that has to be good odds right?

VJONES1985 Fri 02-Aug-13 10:51:59

Swimming - I'm anxious because I'm just coming up to ttc cycle one. I came off the pill last week after 12 years and am worried about how long it'll take for my cycle to return. Next week will be ttc week one and the plan of action is to dtd every two days although I might increase this during my fertile time. Yes, 80% of couples conceive within a year but that seems a long time to me!

ItalianWiking84 Fri 02-Aug-13 10:53:15

keepswimming1- Yep I had the same, mine came bang on time, so at least thats not an issue, lol....
Sorry that your OH is not in the country for next O, luckily my OH is working close by our home.

I have been off the pill since ultimo April, and trying for "real" since June smile So been a couple a months now... Hoping August is my month

VJONES1985 - I know how you are feeling. I am just the same, I wanna take it relaxed and let it just happen if it happens, but on the other side, I am a control freak and really wish that I could also in some way control this some more, lol. Until like middle of June, I didnt even go to any sites online or learned more about getting pregnant, but then my control freak took over and now I am here, :D
I do think it is normal, that in a society like ours, where we monitor and check everything, that we also want to check this....

ItalianWiking84 Fri 02-Aug-13 10:57:11

VJONES1985 - I came off the pill after 15 years and my cycles has been regular from day one... My cycles is 31 days and so fare I have got my AF every month bang on the day

VJONES1985 Fri 02-Aug-13 11:01:33

I'm glad you feel the same way and thanks for sharing your pill experience. Seems like Swimming has a similar story too, so that makes me feel better. I've been on Pregnacare and folic acid for about a month.

keepswimming1 Fri 02-Aug-13 11:02:15

Yes it seem like a long time to me to - esp since my oh works away for 60% of the year. I was also on the pill for 12 years. I'm trying to stay positive (which isn't easy)
I found in my fertile week I was very very horny, my boobs were also very sore and I get a pain in my lower abdominal. then until my period I'm extremely hot and very nauseous still with sore boobs, which is really annoying as I get it into my head that I might be pregnant.
On the positive to af arriving today means I can now have a glass on wine tonight.

VJONES1985 Fri 02-Aug-13 11:04:53

In your fertile week, did you increase dtd at all? Hopefully I will have similar symptoms like you, to help me better pinpoint my fertile week.

keepswimming1 Fri 02-Aug-13 11:09:18

My oh went away 2 days before O day, and we dtd everyday up until then. There's no harm increasing your chances hun x
I've also brought those tablets but have started to take them yet, I thought I'd start when I know hubby will be in the county on O day.

VJONES1985 Fri 02-Aug-13 11:16:33

My doctor recommended taking them asap so that they're in the system already so that's what I've done. Have heard conflicting stories about dtd the daily because some people reckon it can lower sperm production but I guess if it's only for a week, it might not have a big effect.

blueamber Fri 02-Aug-13 11:16:51

I think it's a myth that women are more fertile just after stopping the pill. It takes time for your body to start producing hormones by itself again. It can take a while for your body to produce enough hormones to start ovulation and it can even have some false starts: where it tries but doesn't get there. In my case, it took three months after stopping to ovulate. So don't worry if it takes some time.

Also, it depends on your cycle when you ovulate; not everyone ovulates two weeks after their period. It's usually 12-16 days before your next period, so if you have a regular cycles you can identify your fertile days that way.

Cervical mucus around the most fertile time represents egg white, it's clear and very stretchy (you can test how stretchy it is between your fingers) and usually lasts a few days leading up to ovulation.

If you DTD every other day you should usually catch the right time. Sperms survives inside you for at least 2 days, so with this method you always have some sperm waiting when you ovulate. When you get a positive on your OPK, you ovulate within 12-36 hours. Once you ovulate, the egg only survives on average 16 hours, so that's why it's best to DTD regularly.

blueamber Fri 02-Aug-13 11:21:14

I think DTD every day doesn't lower sperm production if your OH has healthy sperm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now